Finally phasing out Night of Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I wasn't saying that their decision had to do with religion. I would believe that it has to do with money and I have no problem with that. My comment was more of an aside...that I always find it odd to see Disney dabbling in religion. I realize that it's because they make money but you would think they would want to distance themselves from religion, as they typically do these days.

I also wasn't responding directly to you (or anyone else) for that matter. Was more of a general statement.

rct247

On top of the unruly teenagers, you also have a small yet still prevalent group of adults that use their faith as an argument to get their way.

Example:
CM: I'm sorry ma'am but this performance is full to capacity. Once someone leaves, you will be able to enter.
Guest: "Well, that's really un-Christian-like of you. I paid good money to see them perform."

They also find it as an opportunity to hand out religious tracts to certain Cast Member they feel need to be enlightened.

But honestly, it is usually the teenagers. "High fives for Jesus." are a huge contributor for frequent ride stops. Tiki Room and Hall of President may not run due to popularity, but Monsters and TTA definitely do not operate due to the number of issues the Guests cause.

MaxsDad

Looks like rain was a big factor in 2015 and previous years (via the comments):

https://www.facebook.com/NightofJoy/posts/1052973401379496

The storm that night was tremendous. Monorail was shut down for quite some time. I eventually had to walk from the Contemporary to the front of the MK to catch a boat to the Poly. People were missing their ressies for the Poly dinner show because they could not get there. IT was pouring!

GrumpyFan

Title of this thread seems to be mis-leading, or pushing someone's desired agenda.
Perhaps Disney is phasing it out, or trying to, who knows? I guess it kind of seems that way though, with having all of the concerts across property where everyone has to be bussed to get there. It is strange, if nothing else.
I can't imagine that the people buying tickets for this are going to be happy about the transportation to and from. I know Disney is very good with their transportation, but this just sounds like a recipe for a lot of unhappy guests. Not sure if it's going to stick.
Maybe Disney should just release this event and let SeaWorld have it.

Next Big Thing

On top of the unruly teenagers, you also have a small yet still prevalent group of adults that use their faith as an argument to get their way.

Example:
CM: I'm sorry ma'am but this performance is full to capacity. Once someone leaves, you will be able to enter.
Guest: "Well, that's really un-Christian-like of you. I paid good money to see them perform."

They also find it as an opportunity to hand out religious tracts to certain Cast Member they feel need to be enlightened.

But honestly, it is usually the teenagers. "High fives for Jesus." are a huge contributor for frequent ride stops. Tiki Room and Hall of President may not run due to popularity, but Monsters and TTA definitely do not operate due to the number of issues the Guests cause.
Wasn't during NOJ obviously, but earlier this year around February, I was working the MS Bypass and all of a sudden, a bunch of groups of obvious religious groups come running through and I must've been handed about 10 different pins trying to recruit me to their faith. In the moment I though it was cool because it gets boring back there, but when I went on break and actually looked at what everything was, I was just like "ohh...".

It was kind of like when the Mormon groups approach me every day on my way to the bus stop going to work from Patterson. I wasn't disrespectful, but at the same time, I don't need your faith shoved in my face.

titan1um

Opinion from someone who attended Night of Joy and Rock the Universe as a teenager, and has also led a group of teenagers to either event.

I am not a fan of the move. The last two times I led a group to either Night of Joy or Rock the Universe, we chose Rock the Universe. However, I would have liked to take the group to Night of Joy at one point while it was still at MK. If we have the option next year, I will probably choose Rock the Universe again.

Note: We always have our teens supervised by an adult at all times, so it helps with the craziness. As a teenager I went to Night of Joy and Rock the Universe and I never saw anything crazy happen, besides the teenagers being loud and chanting "Jesus" every once in a while. IMO, The real problem is having thousands of teenagers together in one place.

Ralphlaw

We go nearly every year to Lifest, a contemporary Christian music concert in Oshkosh, and there are none of these problems. Lack of supervision likely plays a huge part, but I can guarantee that the Christian concerts from year to year have far fewer problems than other music festivals which attract groups of teens. If MK hosted a hard rock, rap, classic rock, country, British invasion, or any other type of music festival, I would assume that the problems would be greater than Night of Joy.

In short, don't lump this into a Christian problem, dump this into a teenage music festival problem at a sight that wasn't built for it. I assume MK hosts no other music festival that attracts thousand of teens. But try to imagine how horrible a Brazilian concert would be. Thankfully, MK hosts no such thing.

DisneyDebRob

I don't go to this event or really care one way or the other if it is held but to say it has unruly teenagers and that may be a reason is ridiculous. I see unruly teens, parents flipping out, children screaming, etc every day I'm in the parks. Maybe we should just shut the parks down?

Tigger1988

We go nearly every year to Lifest, a contemporary Christian music concert in Oshkosh, and there are none of these problems. Lack of supervision likely plays a huge part, but I can guarantee that the Christian concerts from year to year have far fewer problems than other music festivals which attract groups of teens. If MK hosted a hard rock, rap, classic rock, country, British invasion, or any other type of music festival, I would assume that the problems would be greater than Night of Joy.

In short, don't lump this into a Christian problem, dump this into a teenage music festival problem at a sight that wasn't built for it. I assume MK hosts no other music festival that attracts thousand of teens. But try to imagine how horrible a Brazilian concert would be. Thankfully, MK hosts no such thing.
They used to host Grad Nite with concerts from a range of performers and according to CMs the problems were far worse during NOJ...

Next Big Thing

They used to host Grad Nite with concerts from a range of performers and according to CMs the problems were far worse during NOJ...
They were definitely in some cases a big headache for CMs, but I think anyone who attended will agree that Gradnite was a great event and sort of a "turning of the page" for all involved. And they got a lot of really big acts for those nights as well normally who I know many commented saying they loved playing to a crowd like that.

Ralphlaw

The premise seems to be that Christian teens are crazy destroyers and non-Christian teens are not. In my opinion and experience, that would be a tough assertion to maintain other than through anecdote. Groups of teens in any setting can be rowdy. From what I've seen in the world, Christian groups are usually less rowdy than non-Christian groups. Exceptions abound, I'm sure.

GrumpyFan

Can we get back to the discussion of the logistics of this decision?
Will it work? Isn't it an odd decision?
Why not just have NoJ at ESPN as a separate ticketed event, and allow guests to purchase tickets to the park for the evening as an additional ticket. I mean, what if people only wanted to go to the concerts?

lazyboy97o

The premise seems to be that Christian teens are crazy destroyers and non-Christian teens are not. In my opinion and experience, that would be a tough assertion to maintain other than through anecdote. Groups of teens in any setting can be rowdy. From what I've seen in the world, Christian groups are usually less rowdy than non-Christian groups. Exceptions abound, I'm sure.
It's not Christian teens versus non-Christian teens but a certain subset of Christain teens who are more likely to attend such an event because this is one of the few activities they can undertake with minimal supervision and questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom