Finally phasing out Night of Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

I have no experience going to one of these events, but I was at Universal on the day of their Rock the Universe this ear and man was it stupid crazy there. I'd even go out on the limb to say they were worse than Brazilian tour groups. They were everywhere you looked in larger groups and being obnoxiously loud for no reason.

EXACTLY THIS!! We were there on 9/12 and some of those teens were the worst. My son and I were in line for Kang and Kodos and there was a teen in line wearing a shirt that represented whichever group he was with. Next thing you know, 8 more showed up and they just slid right into line like it was nothing. I made sure to say something to them and gave them the death stare during the rest of the wait. I also said something to the worker that was keeping count, but you can guess how much he cared. As a pastor/rabbi's kid for the last 30 years, it really was embarrassing to see how some of these kids acted.

tirian

Night of Joy is primarily attended by teenagers who are sparsely supervised. Imagine the park operating with only the Brazillian tour groups in it. It is by far the worst time to be working at the parks followed by New Year's Eve after they give out all the noise makers.

For example Grad Nights, at least in my experience, was pleasant as they used a TSA-style entrance complete with clear bags for belongings only and a pat down. This was coupled with School specific punishment for trouble. With Night of Joy, you have no repercussions (short of divine intervention) and the ratio of child to adult is a lot larger.

They also close many attractions not as a cost savings measure, but for safety reasons. In preparation for the event they also sweep the park for any freestanding objects that are not bolted down. In fact, the park has to increase the number of security working as well as have additional OCPD on hand.

By moving the concerts to the Sports Complex, Disney doesn't have as much bad press as if they cancelled it outright and it allows them to add more time to the shows. Disney will also win because now the NOJ ticket holders will presumably be at the park with normal Guests. This will cut down significantly on the obnoxious behavior and group mentality.

This is exactly why Disney doesn't try to attract teenagers any other time of year. Large groups of teenagers are generally obnoxious. As a well-known Imagineer once told me, "Let Six Flags have them." :D

MarkTwain

Let's just say that as a cast member, I worked a certain ride famous for its on-ride photo op. And Night of Joy was the only night I had to censor every visible photo at the same time. (like the handful of photos guests could see at the exit)

It was nice having things to show their chaperones waiting at the exit though.... Quite a few young guests got to leave early that night.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Let's just say that as a cast member, I worked a certain ride famous for its on-ride photo op. And Night of Joy was the only night I had to censor every visible photo at the same time. (like the handful of photos guests could see at the exit)

It was nice having things to show their chaperones waiting at the exit though.... Quite a few young guests got to leave early that night.
Flash Mountain, I presume. ;)

asianway

Original Poster
NoJ is a specialized buy-out event "sponsored" by one or more Christian media, record, or publishing companies; it varies from year to year. Disney handles the ticketing but generally doesn't handle the act bookings.
Interesting-I can't think of any other event with those types of terms. It must have had some type of grandfather status and the contract was up for renewal

Sped2424

NoJ will probably move "underground" a la Gay Days.
gay days was never above ground like night of joy though so I am not sure that is a fair comparison. But Disney still wants their money so they are moving the concerts to a more concert appropriate venue. I don't think this means the event is dead rather put where it probably belongs.

WhatJaneSays

Interesting-I can't think of any other event with those types of terms. It must have had some type of grandfather status and the contract was up for renewal
It’s a similar setup to their deal with Pop Warner, Orlando Classic, and other sports events – it’s just a semi-nightmare because it’s in park rather than fully contained at WWOS.

I’m still not sure how they are going to handle having the concerts away from the park stuffs. Unless they’re moving the park portion back to DHS and they have the new entrance for that park done by September 2016. That may be a doable transportation situation.

Disney maybe trying to make the event less visible but also less of a draw so the event “dies off” naturally.

tirian

I know! Why not combine the two? :D

Seriously though, isn't it a little strange for Disney to put its name on a religious event?
Like the Candlelight Processional? Or the live Christmas pageant Disney presented at DTD until the early 90s? When it was a smaller, classic WDW was very religious, most likely a reflection of the company's politics at the time, as well as the resort's location in the Bible Belt.

French Quarter

I also find the Candlelight Processional odd. I have no doubt that WDW was very Christian as the entire culture was. I meant that I find it odd that in the present they would continue to include religious elements, especially focusing on only one religion...and one wing of that religion (evangelicals) in the case of Night of Joy.

I'm not saying it's wrong. They can do whatever they want. It's their company. It just seems jarring to me when I hear about events like NoJ.

tirian

I also find the Candlelight Processional odd. I have no doubt that WDW was very Christian as the entire culture was. I meant that I find it odd that in the present they would continue to include religious elements, especially focusing on only one religion...and one wing of that religion (evangelicals) in the case of Night of Joy.

I'm not saying it's wrong. They can do whatever they want. It's their company. It just seems jarring to me when I hear about events like NoJ.

There's only one reason they still do it: it makes money. ;)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Whoever said "follow the money" upthread is right, I'm guessing. Disney must have realized that by shifting NOJ's concerts to Wide World of Sports they can "double dip" in hard ticket admissions that night, with the concerts at Sports, and then have an extra Not So Scary at Magic Kingdom that night. This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with money.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
From what we know NOJ will be at Wide World of Sports for the concerts and people will still get admission to MK. They'll bus the people back and forth. What I expect to happen is to see a lot of ppl hang out at WWOS for a little bit and go "um...let's go ride POTC." It'll be interesting to see how this works. It's best for all guests at WDW but probably not for NOJ attendees. Not that I'd go that night. No bueno.

French Quarter

Whoever said "follow the money" upthread is right, I'm guessing. Disney must have realized that by shifting NOJ's concerts to Wide World of Sports they can "double dip" in hard ticket admissions that night, with the concerts at Sports, and then have an extra Not So Scary at Magic Kingdom that night. This has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with money.

I wasn't saying that their decision had to do with religion. I would believe that it has to do with money and I have no problem with that. My comment was more of an aside...that I always find it odd to see Disney dabbling in religion. I realize that it's because they make money but you would think they would want to distance themselves from religion, as they typically do these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom