Finally made it onto Under the Sea...not impressed

ZodIsGr8

You think SDMT will reduce congestion? I figured, if anything, it will probably add more to the numbers of people visiting, and thus will ultimately add to the congestion. Maybe once the hype dies down and things go back to normal... but how long should that take? I think it'll be a while before we see SDMT provide any kind of congestion relief.
Yeah, I was meaning long term. When you entered Old Fantasyland it used to be a nightmare walking through it, but since the NFL has opened the congestion has been reduced greatly in my opinion. Probably due to the fact that Dumbo was moved and a lot of the stroller parking has been moved around. I think most of the traffics will flow to SDMT when it opens thus allowing more traffic through OFL. I will really be interested to see if it helps with PP, but I doubt it will since it is capacity issue and loading and unloading issue that causes the lines to be so long. Thanks for your input and for reading my posts!

cw1982

Yeah, I was meaning long term. When you entered Old Fantasyland it used to be a nightmare walking through it, but since the NFL has opened the congestion has been reduced greatly in my opinion. Probably due to the fact that Dumbo was moved and a lot of the stroller parking has been moved around. I think most of the traffics will flow to SDMT when it opens thus allowing more traffic through OFL. I will really be interested to see if it helps with PP, but I doubt it will since it is capacity issue and loading and unloading issue that causes the lines to be so long. Thanks for your input and for reading my posts!

Lol... that only caught my eye because I'm a tad nervous about all of this for our trip in the first week of June. I too don't see this as taking away much from PP lines, for the reasons you stated.

Mammymouse

The queue is very well done, but I liked The Little Mermaid stage show in Hollywood Studios better than this clam shell ride. I really like all live acting or live actors infused with animatronics best of all. This new ride could have been soooo good, if only the Imagineers could have had their way.

pumpkin7

Ursula is amazeballs. Everything else is awful.
At least they did get rid of cone hair Ariel. But its also glaringly obvious they used the same fish moulds in several scenes and I resented waiting 90 minutes (it was only listed at 35 at the door. Lies!).

pumpkin7

Simple answer?

Fastpass. That's the reason.

Indeed. At the point where the 2 queues meet, they ley a heck of a lot more FP through than standby. I suppose they have to, but each time is 4 to 5 minutes. Think how many people join the queue in that time. Boom. 90 minute wait.
This makes me wonder though. We were stood in the room with Scuttle for a large chunk of time. Maybe 30 minutes or more. He repeated his set of lines about 3 times during that wait. Why did they not think to give him 30, 40, 50 minutes of dialogue as to keep the magic? He became quite annoying after a while.

copcarguyp71

I enjoyed it and will want to do it whenever I can.

However, I never worry about people seeing me on a ride. Who cares? I found that complaint a strange one.

I guess my problem is not being seen in any way but rather the fact that it is distracting actually seeing others on the ride directly on the other side of the scenery. It is hard to take in the scenery when you are uncomfortably aware that you feel like you are staring at the other riders...makes you feel like a creepy stalker.

harveyt0206

I guess my problem is not being seen in any way but rather the fact that it is distracting actually seeing others on the ride directly on the other side of the scenery. It is hard to take in the scenery when you are uncomfortably aware that you feel like you are staring at the other riders...makes you feel like a creepy stalker.

I don't really "mind" seeing other visitors either, but I do agree that it is very distracting. I personally think the harsh lighting in that room has a lot to do with drawing attention to the fact that you are staring at total strangers for that part of the ride. Mansion is set up in similar manner in Madam Leota's seance' room, but it's so dark in there you don't notice it as much. Until someone throws off their flash, then you want to smack a kitten. I guess that's one positive with the bright lighting on Mermaid.... Someone can take flash pictures all day and it won't interfere too much with what's going on.

Marc Gil

I have to disagree with almost everyone on these forums. There's no doubt that TLM is flawed, but it still is a gorgeous attraction. The façade is beautiful, the queue is amazing, and the ride itself is very detailed and colorful.

Lighting problems are indeed an issue, but that could be overlooked. The animatronics are really top notch, especially Ursula! She looks almost real, it's scary!

Perhaps the biggest issue of TLM is the lack of a climax. The ride feels like it's missing something. Hopefully, they will improve this sometime in the future, but for now, I am grateful. It's a great break from the humidity, and it truly is a beautiful ride.

It's not perfect, but it's delightful.

And that's my two cents!

Disney_Dad88

I know it's been around for some time now, but I only just recently made it onto the Under the Sea-Journey of The Little Mermaid ride. Waits were often long and the one time we had a FP the ride itself broke down, so it took a while to finally make it on. Being part of the whole, big "new" Fantasyland, I expected it to be a pretty cool and sophisticated attraction with it being a newer ride and all.

Unfortunately I was pretty disappointed.

The clam-shell omnimover car idea is cute, but the cars themselves are WAY too close together. This makes it even worse when a lot of the ride has the cars at a slant angle where you view the insides of other cars and see so many other people. The large room filled with the characters is awful because for a time the cars face each other from opposite sides of the room, so your attention is drawn toward seeing the people (as well as being self-conscious about others seeing you). This design MASSIVELY takes away from the idea of being immersed into a ride and the fantasy world it presents.

With it being a newer ride I expected a little more in terms of advancement of the animatronics, but there were so many basic-looking things here with most things/animals just spinning or making the most simple of movements.

The actual concept of the visuals of the ride was good, and I liked going down (and below) at the beginning. I also thought a lot of the individual scenes had great potential, but they were not nearly as visually impressive as they could be (and again, the closeness of the cars and seeing so many riders in them distracted from this).

Overall, it was a good concept with the potential for great visuals and with so many characters it could have really pushed the envelope with animatronics.

But the cons far outweight the pros as it felt like it was all put together in a very rushed way, attention to details were almost non-existent, I saw animatronics that should have been moving that were not, and the animatronics that were there were very basic (except for perhaps Ursula, who was OK). Certain visuals COULD have been so much better, but looked like they were finished half-heartedly.

In should have been a fun ride and could have been a visual treat for the eyes and senses, but in my opinion it ended up feeling kind of cheap and dated-looking for such a newer attraction. And dated-looking isn't a bad thing when you have the charm and joy that comes with older Disney attractions, but this one seemed to miss the mark on so many levels.

All IMHO of course.

Other thoughts or opinions?

I try to let myself get caught up in the magic when I go to Disney World. Some rides you have to make yourself get caught up, while others leave you in awe anyways. That being said, The Under sea adventure is one I have to make myself get caught up in, for reasons many if you have stated already. My two daughters loved it and we rode it several times so that's what it's all about.

RevKjb

I agree this is the MOST disappointing ride and biggest let down in MK. Ya think the imagineers could have done better in the 21st century. THIS is supposed to compete with Universal? Come on Disney. Step up your game!

Bairstow

I agree this is the MOST disappointing ride and biggest let down in MK. Ya think the imagineers could have done better in the 21st century. THIS is supposed to compete with Universal? Come on Disney. Step up your game!

When you say this was meant to "compete with Universal," are you referring to Cat in the Hat or Forbidden Journey?

RevKjb

When you say this was meant to "compete with Universal," are you referring to Cat in the Hat or Forbidden Journey?

In fact, neither one specifically, just US in general. Disney is slowly losing market share. WDW has to do something to keep what they have and attract new "Disney fanatics" in the future.

Bairstow

In fact, neither one specifically, just US in general. Disney is slowly losing market share. WDW has to do something to keep what they have and attract new "Disney fanatics" in the future.
I'm not sure this is true, either that Disney is losing market share or that their success is dependent on having more impressive offerings than Universal.
If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that Walt Disney World's attendance is determined by US gas prices more than anything else. They sat back on their haunches for over a decade and as the economy recovered attendance went up and up. People assume that there is a point at which Disney's clientele will become fed up with their stale offerings, but this is purely theoretical at this point because all evidence points to the contrary.

ThemeParkJunkee

I apologize in advance for the slight digression. I rode Little Mermaid it California in 2012 but have not experience the WDW version. I know the queue is better at WDW but are the attractions otherwise the same? If so, I was not impressed by the ride itself. It seemed cheap and disjointed.

Californian Elitist

I apologize in advance for the slight digression. I rode Little Mermaid it California in 2012 but have not experience the WDW version. I know the queue is better at WDW but are the attractions otherwise the same? If so, I was not impressed by the ride itself. It seemed cheap and disjointed.

DCA's version just came from a makeover, so no, the ride doesn't look exactly like MK's. It used to, though.

Csmith041177

I definately enjoyed the ride, and will ride it each time I am at the parks. It is a classic Disney dark ride. However, it is not the overwhelming immersive experience that some might have been hoping for (and that a park down the street is offerring). But I love the classics, so I like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom