Final Fate of SGE...re-imagineered?

KevinPage

DisneyInsider said:
You would think that after a couple of mess-ups they would learn that you need to do something right the first time in order to make it work. I can't believe that they would produce something that people didn't like knowing very well that it would have to be fixed again. Did they learn nothing from figment?

Merely internet fanboy dreams. Imagineering, nor anyone else, is going to hit a "home run" every time. There's alot that goes into the planning/designing of any attraction, sometimes things don't "gel" or what designers think is "good" people don't like. Nature of the beat I suppose.

The willingness to correct this thought is what should be commended. :D

tigger248

KevinPage said:
Merely internet fanboy dreams. Imagineering, nor anyone else, is going to hit a "home run" every time. There's alot that goes into the planning/designing of any attraction, sometimes things don't "gel" or what designers think is "good" people don't like. Nature of the beat I suppose.

The willingness to correct this thought is what should be commended. :D

I agree with that statement. An imagineer occasionally writing a bad script is similar to a good, award winning movie director occasionally making a movie that flops. They have talent, and the ability to create a wonderful movie, but sometimes it just doesn't work out how it was supposed to.

Chux

I'm not gonna try to read throughout this entire thread, but I just got back, and ended up riding Stitch I'd say somewhere around 4 times during my trip. I really don't see where the negative reviews are coming from, aside from the nitpicking (Stitch calling himself Stitch, when he hasn't been named, etc) The Animatronic was good, the story was alright, and the crowd really seemed to be into it. There was only one time when a kid was screaming, but they were like 2 years old. The only thing I can think of is AE enthusiasts who are mad because it's just not "AE" anymore.

Sorry if I kinda rambled. :hammer:

AEfx

imagineersrock said:
Really, how much money can it cost to write a decent script? A script should cost close-to-nothing in comparison to the millions that went into the animatronics. :brick:
Ding-ding-ding.

We have a winner. :)

You can count me among those that think SGE isn't quite ready for prime time, but my personal enjoyment of the attraction would have been much better if simply the words spoken (or not) were better written. I still don't think it's going to ever work for the kiddie audience they want (not in that chamber, not if they intend of keeping the majority of effects which rely on the dark), but it at least would be some form of watchable for the rest of us.

I'm very curious as to what direction it's going to go...and delighted they may be getting a second chance to do it right. They can start by adding a lot more of the Stitch AA, and giving the ride a satisfying conclusion as opposed to the "huh? that's it?" moment it currently climaxes with.

AEfx

Bagheera

If you have a $25 million attraction and you're given $10 million to build it, how can you guarantee that you get more money to help the attraction? Tank the script. I'm just worried that somebody will lose their job over the maneuver. (I'm not naming names at this time, but it's a well-known one.)

he-guy

General Grizz said:
Stitch WILL go down for rehab.

Michael Eisner immediately called for a redesign after experiencing it, requesting designs in ASAP. He wanted the change by March, I hear.

According to my sources in TL, it could go down as soon as January (somewhat suddenly like Astro's closing.) I don't know if it will go quite that soon as T-Land certainly doesn't need to be half closed again.

AEfx

he-guy said:
According to my sources in TL, it could go down as soon as January (somewhat suddenly like Astro's closing.) I don't know if it will go quite that soon as T-Land certainly doesn't need to be half closed again.
:D

I'd be SO happy about that - because it would mean that they might keep CoP open longer instead for my trip in Jan. :)

AEfx

DarkMeasures

Just think about it in this way. Because of the problems with Stitch (funny, same problems AE originally had which was a bad story and not being not scary enough), both Time Keeper and CoP will be likely to remain open longer.

I do like the 3d sounds attractions though. Alien Encounter was the best and I do like Sounds Dangerous. I want to try Stitch just to see how that attraction plays out.

General Grizz

Bagheera said:
If you have a $25 million attraction and you're given $10 million to build it, how can you guarantee that you get more money to help the attraction? Tank the script. I'm just worried that somebody will lose their job over the maneuver. (I'm not naming names at this time, but it's a well-known one.)
No more Tiki Rooms UNM? :lookaroun

I think the entire message should change. WE should "win," and Stitch needs to learn his lesson. :)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If Eisner demanded changes in SGE, then kudos. Of course, it didn't help ToT in DCA much, from what I've heard. :p I personally thought the attraction stunk. TV-quality animation, the pre-show was almost longer than the main attraction, no cohesive story, bad ending, and.....

I posted this after my recently-completed trip, but it bears (no pun intended, Grizz :p ) repeating here - the fabric on Stitch's ears was ripped away from his head when I rode it.... um... sometime between 12/9 and 12/13 (I can't remember what day already!) :hammer: That just's wrong.

Ringo8n24

That depresses me to read all the bad reviews about SGE. We have to choose one park to go to when we are at WDW in February since we only really have one full day to go to a park and we chose MK with one of the reasons being SGE. According to this, it may be closed for remodelng if M.E. wants it changed by March. Might have to go back to my trusty old Epcot for the day. :)

I have yet to ride SGE, but based on reviews that I have read I do hope that they can improve it. But, I don't think that we can place blame on either parties(Eisner/board or imagineers). Both of them deserve equal blame: the imagineers for making it, and Eisner for approving it. Disney, what are we going to do with you! :lol:

Hopefully, they won't close SGE down the first two weeks in January so I can see it.

rogerrabbitfan9

Please realize that Stitch is really not that bad. The real promblem is the ending, where they just dump you out of the theatre and call you useless

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
rogerrabbitfan9 said:
Please realize that Stitch is really not that bad. The real promblem is the ending, where they just dump you out of the theatre and call you useless

Wow, so using that thought, at the end of the day, when you have no more money and the park is closed, are you still the same useless?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Budgets

Let's remember that budgets are FINITE, and not bottomless pits of cash. To simply blame the budget for ANY bad attraction may seem an easy excuse, but how many of us here sit in on board meetings where these issues are discussed?

What I see a lot of times on these boards is that people simply want to throw money at every and any problem, thinking that is the answer. I assure you IT IS NOT. Sometimes there are other issues to consider.

Now, this isn't to defend Disney on poor decision-making, as I can be one of their harshest critics at times. But it is to simply point out that just because one attraction doesn't meet the VERY high standards of all of us, doesn't mean that money was THE issue. And NO, saying, "I heard from a guy" doesn't really count as a solid inside source.

What I am saying is to give these things some time. I'm willing to believe that Disney WILL prevail in the end. That all will be well with the parks eventually. The key to all of this is patience. Let's remember that even though we live in an instant gratification society of high speed cable, internet, and microwaves, doens't mean that Disney can respond with comparitive speed and accuracy.

Stitchfan712

I love SGE. But, glad to hear that it will get a second chance.

I'm really going to miss the lines though. "You can't catch me!" has just taken on a whole new meaning. I'm gonna miss the fun show that it was. I hope whatever replaces it is still funny and not too serious.

Bullredchaser

I think its funny that it is some of the same people that want rides less scary like AI,Stitch,and Snow White Scary Adventures but claim they want it the way Walt would of done things.Heres what Walt had to say about stimulating children through fear. " Both my study of Scripture and my career in entertaining children have taught me to cherish them. But I don’t believe in playing down to children, either in life or in motion pictures. I didn’t treat my own youngsters like fragile flowers, and I think no parent should.

Children are people, and they should have to reach to learn about things, to understand things, just as adults have to reach if they want to grow in mental stature. Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things; but there are evil things too, and you are not doing a child a favor by trying to shield him from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil, and that is what our pictures attempt to do.

The American child is a highly intelligent human being -- characteristically sensitive, humorous, open-minded, eager to learn, and has a strong sense of excitement, energy, and healthy curiosity about the world in which he lives. Lucky indeed is the grown-up who manages to carry these same characteristics into adult life. It usually makes for a happy and successful individual. In our full-length cartoon features, as well as in our live action productions, we have tried to convey in story and song those virtues that make both children and adults attractive. I have long felt that the way to keep children out of trouble is to keep them interested in things. Lecturing to children is no answer to delinquency. Preaching won’t keep youngsters out of trouble, but keeping their minds occupied will."
I think this is why Walt always had demons,witches,snakes,wolves,bats,headless horsemen,pirates,evil dog hating women,wicked step mothers,tornadoes,bears,mountain lions,greedy bankers,Nazis, and countless other obstacles and villains.They where all just vehicles for Walt to use to triumph over.I guess I see it as good cant overcome if theres nothing to overcome.Basicaly the basis for a good story.If you take away the dark element there is no story.And so if you take away completely the scary parts of rides you end up with Six Flags if you will where the childs imagination is not stimulated and then you just end up with thrill rides which though provides the child with instant gratification.The next day,week,month or year the child is left with nothing to imagine.

Epcot82Guy

Excellent post, Bullredchaser. I think our entire country could take a lesson from that. Entertainment DOES NOT mean turning your brain or emotions off. It should be quite the opposite, IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom