Film - Discussions and Image Sharing

BoarderPhreak

I wish they made that camera as a mechanical machine, the battery issue makes me sweat bullets
True, but that can be said of 99% of cameras - 100% today. At least Leica film bodies have (two) mechanical shutter speeds (and the meter's out). I always carry spares for everything.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
True, but that can be said of 99% of cameras - 100% today. At least Leica film bodies have (two) mechanical shutter speeds (and the meter's out). I always carry spares for everything.
Oh for me it’s not running out of batteries, it’s 30+ year old electronics that will give out and then either a lack of parts or skilled repairmen make your Mamiya a fancy paper weight

BoarderPhreak

Oh for me it’s not running out of batteries, it’s 30+ year old electronics that will give out and then either a lack of parts or skilled repairmen make your Mamiya a fancy paper weight
True, but... Shoot it until it dies. If you NEED to get the shot, bring something reliable (and replaceable). I wouldn't take my M7II to WDW as my sole camera (for example). Or use it as a special camera for projects.

KeithVH

The above kinda begs the question - how many of you still take film to the parks? Especially anything beyond 35mm. The last time I traveled with film a few years ago, they swiped and checked EVERY roll. Never again.

I would think 5x7 and 8x10 would get you denied at security. But I could see MF being allowed in, especially 645.

I was going to try and travel light on our next cruise with only a single EOS body and two lenses but my Mamiya RZ keeps giving me the stink eye.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
The above kinda begs the question - how many of you still take film to the parks? Especially anything beyond 35mm. The last time I traveled with film a few years ago, they swiped and checked EVERY roll. Never again.

I would think 5x7 and 8x10 would get you denied at security. But I could see MF being allowed in, especially 645.

I was going to try and travel light on our next cruise with only a single EOS body and two lenses but my Mamiya RZ keeps giving me the stink eye.
Oh, I’m all film... 100% regardless of where I’m going. I don’t know about sheet film inside the parks, they wouldn’t know what a view camera is to be honest!

In my early days of photo I had an RB67 in Disney and I made some great pictures there.

I’d love to do a real, proper series of Disney... someday

BoarderPhreak

...I’d love to do a real, proper series of Disney... someday
You and me both! Unfortunately for me, I live too far away to bring any "serious" gear down. As it is, I don't even bring a tripod (save for maybe a table tripod).

Had I my druthers, I'd bring down my usual gear, a proper tripod, likely my Leica M Monochrom - and maybe even the Mamiya 7II/Hassy stuff.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I just landed a coveted Ebony 8x10... which is about a 1/3 the cost of a DVC membership in today’s prices. Holy smokes, I waited 4 years to find a second hand one. Why didn’t I order one when the Japanese maker was still in operation? Who knows but I am a happy man today.

thomas998

Out of curiosity how do you filmer get scans of your negatives and slides? I have pretty much left my film cameras in the closet because I never could get any decent digital transfers done. Even when I would send off the slides or negatives I was never happy with the scanned version. I liked using film, but given the need to get the photos in a digital form sooner or later I was pretty much forced to give up the film. I've even went so far as to get dedicated film scanners but they still just didn't give me a decent scan and would take lots of tweaking of the scans to get anything useable.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Out of curiosity how do you filmer get scans of your negatives and slides? I have pretty much left my film cameras in the closet because I never could get any decent digital transfers done. Even when I would send off the slides or negatives I was never happy with the scanned version. I liked using film, but given the need to get the photos in a digital form sooner or later I was pretty much forced to give up the film. I've even went so far as to get dedicated film scanners but they still just didn't give me a decent scan and would take lots of tweaking of the scans to get anything useable.
35mm is hard to scan... 120 through 810 is an easy job for an Epson V800 / 850 for web scans and even inkjet prints.

BoarderPhreak

I use an Epson V700 with special negative holder (not the stock one that come with it). Much easier, and with glass plates it holds the negs flat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom