Film - Discussions and Image Sharing

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I’m curious if anyone here on the boards shoots film. I’d like to start a thread discussing its merits, questions around the process, and sharing pictures.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster

One of my least favorite formats, 4x5... but “cheaper” than my preferred 8x10

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I don’t soup color at home, that goes to a number of labs that I rotate through... citizens photo in Oregon and LTI in New York City.

BoarderPhreak

I’m all over the place... sticking to a format has always been hard for me. 35/120/4x5/8x10

Bad GAS at times... jumping from project to project. Now, it’s just teaching photo full time, which I thoroughly enjoy.
Oh, cool. Teaching photography is a noble cause. I might go that route eventually myself.

GAS is a ain't it? LOL. I'm not so much a platform jumper as much as an embracer of all, haha. 😆

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Oh, cool. Teaching photography is a noble cause. I might go that route eventually myself.

GAS is a ***** ain't it? LOL. I'm not so much a platform jumper as much as an embracer of all, haha. 😆

Dream job... full darkroom, four classes. Great school. I decided to get an MFA in Photo which helped make the teaching thing happen.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster

GAS is a ***** ain't it? LOL. I'm not so much a platform jumper as much as an embracer of all, haha. 😆

I’ve honestly had them all... I’ve gone down the Leica hole four different times with an M6, M5, M3, MP and then digital M240 / M9.

The 240 got me banned from returning items to BH. It’s no where in their small print that they can limit how many times you can return items, so they pulled a shady move on me. I dropped like 15/20 grand into systems and experimented with Sony, Nikon, Canon before settling on what I wanted. Nothing was abused, just opened ... inspected, a few frames, and examining files.

I could talk for days about all the amazing systems I blew through. It became a small business at some point, I was pretty good at identifying deals and flipping things.

BoarderPhreak

I started with a Zeiss Ikon, quickly got an M8, then an M9 and MM, grabbed an M7 and finally, sold the M8. Sticking with the M7/M9/MM until I drop dead. LOL

I've actually considered taking nothing more than the M9 and Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH (with 3-stop ND) on my next trip. Maybe the MM also.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I started with a Zeiss Ikon, quickly got an M8, then an M9 and MM, grabbed an M7 and finally, sold the M8. Sticking with the M7/M9/MM until I drop dead. LOL

I've actually considered taking nothing more than the M9 and Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH (with 3-stop ND) on my next trip. Maybe the MM also.
You have a noctilux... you win! I’d love a MM but I just can’t commit to digital. I crave the permanence of a tangible negative.

BoarderPhreak

You have a noctilux... you win! I’d love a MM but I just can’t commit to digital. I crave the permanence of a tangible negative.
Yessir - dream lens: acquired! The MM is a special kind of commitment, that's for sure. But it does some amazing B&W straight out of the camera - at 10,000 ISO. Silver Efex Pro handles the rest.

L2000763.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom