Fill me in on the Polynesian...

So I am surprising my husband with 3 days at the Polynesian at the end of our trip this upcoming August. He has always wanted to stay there, and I figured before we had kids, we'd give it a shot. It is VERY expensive, however, and none of the discounts (even our PIN code) apply to it. We're going to stay there regardless, because this is about him - not me. ;~) BUT...I keep reading things and I was hoping people might want to jump in and tell me why they love it there.

A lot of the buildings don't have balconies, or two sinks, the resort doesn't have a hot tub, there are no king beds unless you have a suite, rooms are dark...I'm just wondering what my $400 per night is paying for - we stayed at the GF and Beach Club for our honeymoon and both of those had all the positives on the list above and more. Again, it's not like those are the most important things, but I'd like to know that I won't feel totally guilty spending so much money on a place I won't like...if you didn't like staying there, probably don't tell me, as I'll be bummed :(

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey there,

So my DH and I were going to stay there for a week and just had to face reality that we could not stay at a Deluxe this year. So we switched to CBR and then to POR (long story). BUT...I had started loads of threads about Poly. Here is one about which long house to stay in.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=834290

Also, for specifics about the Poly and pretty much anything you need to know, check out tiki man's webpage:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/index.php

Hope this helps and have fun!

Upvote 0

tractorm3

My girlfriend (in the next month my fiance dont tell her tho!!) Had a very good tax season so we upgraded to stay at the Poly this Sept for our trip. It is my fav hotel out of all of them!

My likes about the poly: The atmosphere. I like the whole tiki thing and the main lobby.

The Dinning: I think every one would agree Ohana's is one of the best Disney has to offer for family style dinning.

Being on the monorail: A huge plus in Disney I think when the busses at Dinsey can some times be less predictable? And even if you on the far side of the hotel you are still very close to the transportation center .

Upvote 0

DisneyBeatles

It is absolutely the best resort on property, and would stay there in a heartbeat it i had the money. It's hard to decribe what it so great but the main things are: Monorail, Pool, Beach, Atmosphere, Transportation, Dining, Lobby, cast members, and the entire grounds

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

:sohappy:We stayed there last Sept. and it was stunning! I am the "black-thumb-of-death" when it comes to plants and it amazed me how they are able to keep it so tropical and lush. They had flowers and plants I've never even seen before. It's also a very laid back feel there. We absolutely loved it and my DS, 10 at the time, has said this is is favorite resort. (Mine and my DH is still the GF.) The pool was great and Capt. Cooks was great, it was just a wonderful experience all-in-all.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
The Poly has always been my dream resort. We've only ever been able to afford moderate resorts....but one year we got an amazing 40% off pin code and we
were lucky to finally stay there the year before last.
I have to say it lived up to every expectation I had of the resort.

Of the last 6 years at WDW it was our best trip by a mile.

We asked for and stayed at the Tahiti longhouse. A a bit of a walk away from GCH, but close to the TTC! So it was great trade off for getting to epcot and the ferry etc. and let's face it --- walking the beautiful grounds of the Poly is no chore! The closeness to the TTC and it being a monorail resort make the Poly (and contemporary) second to none as far as transportation convenience.
But that's not all.......
The pool is awesome --one of the best - (and probably second only to the Yacht and Beach Club pool), the views of the magic kingdom throughout the resort are beautiful, the rooms are huge, and the dining: The best restaurant on property - Ohana' and underrated gem in the Kona Cafe' and of course Captain Cooks which both have the famous resort specific treat -Tonga Toast.

My wife and kids never understood the love I had for this resort....UNTIL they stayed there.:D

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Worth the money... maybe!

I love the POLY. People @ GF are a little too "stuffy" for me!:lookaroun
Can't afford tower rooms @ Contempo, so the garden view rooms are ok.

I love the ALOHA greeting, the volcano pool, the beautiful grounds, fireworks on the beach, the restaurants, the monorail and the boat launch, and overall the general feel of being in the islands.

I'll admit the rooms are dated, but the location can't be beat!

Noone mentioned Samoa longhouse 1st floor across from the main pool w/ the quiet pool on the other side right next to the GCH. But, whichever longhouse you decide (tikimanpages.com) I am sure it will be an unforgettable vacation!:)

Upvote 0

addcogulf

I have stayed at the Poly numeruos times It is a very nice resort. The resort feel is as though you aren't in WDW, but on a Island somewhere. Its theming is probably the best in Disney World. Being on the mon line in great too. However, I have stayed in all mon resorts, and my opinion is that the views from the Poly are not the best. If you stay in a room in the Contempory tower facing MK, on you balcony or even in your bed, the views of the MK and the fireworks are better. The food isnt the best in the Poly. The only real upscale Resturant is O'Hana's (my opinion, not the best) whereas the Contempory and Grand Flor. has a much better selection. But being on the mon you can hop from one resort to another without much fuss. The best thing about the Poly is the theming. You really feel away from it all, as though you are in another place. The beach is nice, the oil lamps at night are romantic, the pool is great (they even play music under water) and the atmosphere cant be beat. My favorite is the Contemporary tower, but the theming in the Contemporary is just that it is a hotel. I just like the fact that you are there right by the mon. and the views are best. In think if atmosphere is what you are looking for, something completely different, you will be happy at the Poly. I always enjoy it when I stay there.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

challisgal

We stayed at the Poly when we couldn't get into the Contemporary - and had never been so glad not to get our first choice.

Many have mentioned the atmosphere, and I agree. It's like having two vacations in one and the laid back feel of the Poly was welcome after how frantic the parks can be.

I have an intense dislike of Ohanas, but I love, love, love Konas. Every time I've eaten there, it's been my favorite meal of the trip.

Other positives:

The rooms are big.

Can see both fireworks and the water parade. (Name escapes me at the moment)

Torch lighting ceremony.

Two swimming pools - a themed one for the kiddies and a 'basic' one for the more serious swimmers.

And last, but not least,

Dole Whip on site - and you fill your own cup!

Hope you enjoy!

Upvote 0
I'd like agree with the previous posts and add 2 points of my own :-

1. Dole Whips! Every SINGLE night of our 12 night stay last June, I had a Dole Whip before bed.:slurp:

2. In my opinion, the Poly has the best transport options of any resort. You can get buses to the parks, water parks and downtown disney; boats to the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness; monorails to MK, Contemporary and GF and you can walk to the Grand Floridian. Also, depending on your longhouse, the walk to the TTC might be quicker than going to the Grand Ceremonial House which means a direct monorail to Epcot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom