Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Homemade Imagineering

If they have to demolish the building in order for us to get the Dreamfinder/Figment attraction we've always wanted, then so be it. The one caveat: keep the pyramids, adjust the design.
Agreed. The only issue is that Martin stated what he believed would happen depending on what they eventually go with. He listed partial demo, full demo, and a complete gutting. I believe I remember him saying that if full demo occurs, they’ll most likely build something based on the concept of imagination, but it’ll be on a smaller scale and probably won’t include figment or the Dreamfinder. Then again this was just a proposal, and things are constantly changing, especially now, so anything can really change between now and whenever they green light something.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Let’s just dust off those old plans for JII from the early 80s and simply rebuild what was already there. Gut the building, modernize the tech, improve the infrastructure and systems, but just go with what’s been proven to be loved. It’s already been done once...the building is designed for the original attraction...just fix what was changed and rebuild. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Then give us a Mystic Manor type attraction elsewhere. From scratch. Without destroying something else.

DreamfinderGuy

What would
Let’s just dust off those old plans for JII from the early 80s and simply rebuild what was already there. Gut the building, modernize the tech, improve the infrastructure and systems, but just go with what’s been proven to be loved. It’s already been done once...the building is designed for the original attraction...just fix what was changed and rebuild. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Then give us a Mystic Manor type attraction elsewhere. From scratch. Without destroying something else.
If only it were that easy. The Flight Into Imagination scene will never rotate again, at least not in the current building. Even if it could, just simply "putting back what was there" wouldn't solve the issues it had while it was in service. I'd love to see the original come back just as much as anyone else, but the next incarnation physically *has* to be at least somewhat different.

Brer Panther

What would

If only it were that easy. The Flight Into Imagination scene will never rotate again, at least not in the current building. Even if it could, just simply "putting back what was there" wouldn't solve the issues it had while it was in service. I'd love to see the original come back just as much as anyone else, but the next incarnation physically *has* to be at least somewhat different.
Considering that so many recent trackless dark rides have at least one scene where they just park the riders in front of a large screen for a few minutes, they could use that tech for the Flight Into Imagination scene instead of a giant turntable.

pdude81

What would

Not using the same turntable, but there have been a few technological advancements in the past 40 years. I don't actually assume they would reboot this ride with the same layout, but I'd like to think that there are options for doing that if the building is more or less gutted.

DreamfinderGuy

Considering that so many recent trackless dark rides have at least one scene where they just park the riders in front of a large screen for a few minutes, they could use that tech for the Flight Into Imagination scene instead of a giant turntable.
Of course! But the point still stands that the original attraction can't be 100% restored in the current building.

RSoxNo1

What would

If you were to do a scene by scene recreation without using trackless tech, the move would be to make the turntable scene a pre-show.

JohnD

If they have to demolish the building in order for us to get the Dreamfinder/Figment attraction we've always wanted, then so be it. The one caveat: keep the pyramids, adjust the design.

Right. That would be the show building that would get demolished. It would be equivalent to--hope this never happens--demolishing the HM show building while keeping the house in front then building a new show building behind it.

Homemade Imagineering

I think our best option for a redo is something along the lines of symbolica from Efteling. I mean, Tony Baxter himself even talked about Efteling for a bit in that interview where he said he’d “come out of retirement” to redo imagination. He even mentioned how he was impressed with symbolica’s queue which features a splitting staircase you walk through to get to the load and unload area.

Last edited:

Homemade Imagineering

Just an idea. Wouldn’t it be cool to have a Kuka robotic arm ride system for an updated version of Imagination? It would make sense, since you’d fly alongside Dreamfinder’s dreamcatcher at the beginning of the attraction, using screen technology similar to Forbidden Journey, and along with this layer in some physical elements with this opening scene. It would bring back a turntable system, but this time way more reliable. As for the rest of the attraction after the flight to imagination scene, everything could be physical, and for transitions between scenes, you could use the dome screens for a few seconds while transitioning into the next physical scene for an overall smoother transition. Of course it wouldn’t be the same as the original attraction, and you’d be above the ground at all times, but this can allow them to incorporate a fog effect down below to simulate clouds.

DoleWhipDrea

Just an idea. Wouldn’t it be cool to have a Kuka robotic arm ride system for an updated version of Imagination? It would make sense, since you’d fly alongside Dreamfinder’s dreamcatcher at the beginning of the attraction, using screen technology similar to Forbidden Journey, and along with this layer in some physical elements with this opening scene. It would bring back a turntable system, but this time way more reliable. As for the rest of the attraction after the flight to imagination scene, everything could be physical, and for transitions between scenes, you could use the dome screens for a few seconds while transitioning into the next physical scene for an overall smoother transition. Of course it wouldn’t be the same as the original attraction, and you’d be above the ground at all times, but this can allow them to incorporate a fog effect down below to simulate clouds.

Very cool blue sky ideas here! It would be amazing to really get that sensation of flying in the clouds with truly tangible elements (Soarin’ is fun and all, but I’m never not thinking about the fact that I’m staring at a screen riding a motion simulator.)

I am concerned that Disney wouldn’t want to spend the money on KUKA arms for every ride vehicle, as I used to hear they were pretty expensive...that information may be outdated, though. My most significant concern is accessibility...I hope that whatever the future of an Imagination attraction looks like, it’s something that every guest is capable of riding. I think that’s really important.

Homemade Imagineering

Very cool blue sky ideas here! It would be amazing to really get that sensation of flying in the clouds with truly tangible elements (Soarin’ is fun and all, but I’m never not thinking about the fact that I’m staring at a screen riding a motion simulator.)

I am concerned that Disney wouldn’t want to spend the money on KUKA arms for every ride vehicle, as I used to hear they were pretty expensive...that information may be outdated, though. My most significant concern is accessibility...I hope that whatever the future of an Imagination attraction looks like, it’s something that every guest is capable of riding. I think that’s really important.
I’m sure once Disney recovers, and a timeline for an imagination redo appears, probably in around 5 to 6 years, they’ll be in a much better place financially, and will have the money to spend on such an expensive ride system. If they were to use a system such as the Kuka robotic arm system, they’d also have to demo much of the building, and rebuild which would be an extra expense. On top of all this, you mentioned accessibility issues, and that is definitely an obstacle for families with disabilities or who simply won’t be able to sit in the restraints. This is an obstacle for Forbidden Journey I’ve witnessed on multiple trips. They could however develop a new type of vehicle that is larger and is suitable for larger guests or ones with wheelchairs. One that is simply mounted to the robotic arm, which might also require stronger motors for this type of vehicle. I agree in that I think this new attraction, whatever it may be, should be able to accommodate families without any trouble.

Thelazer

I've heard that idea was out there at one point in time.
Cost however, would be an issue.

Getting Disney to spend that much on NON IP things.. eh tough.. very tough.

Homemade Imagineering

I've heard that idea was out there at one point in time.
Cost however, would be an issue.

Getting Disney to spend that much on NON IP things.. eh tough.. very tough.
Oh wow, well that’s Definately interesting to know my idea was pitched around at some point! This system could also be used for any other replacement to imagination, which may include an IP. I can’t see them getting rid of Figment, I feel like he’ll be included in whatever is to come.

DoleWhipDrea

Doing my part to encourage more Figment, last week while Christmas shopping for my niece and nephew noticed that the 6” Figment figure with the magnet (for shoulder placement) was in stock. My next trip to Epcot (whenever that may be) I’ll be bringing him along.

Yes he’s very cute and popular with guests! Been wanting to get one myself to add to all of the other Figment plush I have (I’m so glad my husband understands my love for him! 😂)

Homemade Imagineering

SPOILER for the new BatB ride in Tokyo.

now just imagine this attraction as a new Journey into Imagination attraction. You could use the giant rooms as musical numbers. One for the opening scene, the arts, literature, etc... all ending with the original finale similar to the original, where an A1000 figment is in the middle of the room singing one little spark. Perfect. Now will this be something that’ll be green-lit maybe 6 or so years down the line? I have my doubts... but I would love to be proven wrong.

FigmentFan82

now just imagine this attraction as a new Journey into Imagination attraction. You could use the giant rooms as musical numbers. One for the opening scene, the arts, literature, etc... all ending with the original finale similar to the original, where an A1000 figment is in the middle of the room singing one little spark. Perfect. Now will this be something that’ll be green-lit maybe 6 or so years down the line? I have my doubts... but I would love to be proven wrong.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

RSoxNo1

It looks like an E-ticket version of Mermaid.
I would have liked to see them build out the "Kill the Beast" segment a bit more. As it is, the Be Our Guest scene is pretty darn impressive while the rest of the ride is solid. Some tech notes, I'm guessing the final scene with Belle and Not-Beast dancing is probably setup with Belle anchoring all of the weight of the Not-Beast AA. I'm assuming this because of the dance steps that are visible.

Homemade Imagineering

It looks like an E-ticket version of Mermaid.
I would have liked to see them build out the "Kill the Beast" segment a bit more. As it is, the Be Our Guest scene is pretty darn impressive while the rest of the ride is solid. Some tech notes, I'm guessing the final scene with Belle and Not-Beast dancing is probably setup with Belle anchoring all of the weight of the Not-Beast AA. I'm assuming this because of the dance steps that are visible.
Agreed with everything you said here. It’s main issue stems from the fact that it is a book report attraction. A very good one that is, although I would’ve loved to see something more original. Nonetheless it’s a very solid attraction. In terms of adapting this type of musical attraction for Imagination, well, it would work much better, because you’re working with content that is much more simple to understand than an entire movie. You get an explanation of what Dreamfinder does just like in the original attraction, and from there you enter the dreamport which is essentially eye candy everywhere you look, and they could come up with some pretty neat illusions if they were to do this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom