Figment bucket craze, if this doesn’t tell them something I don’t know what will

DfromATX

I must have been napping, what the heck is a figment bucket?

I only knew about it because I saw a dfb food blog video about it, but it's a limited edition Figment popcorn bucket (you know, the purple dragon - or is he a dinosaur - I have no idea because I've never ridden that ride). Apparently, people were lined up for it and waiting up to 6 hours in line!! I guess a lot of Ebayers were snatching them up and I also guess that some foolish people were actually buying them from Ebay at high prices.

JoeCamel

Was it not Chapek that stated that a 4 hour line for a ride is a failure (referring to the limiting of access to Rise of the Resistance). So what does that make this?
Chapek's *** dream?
Rides lines keep people out of the stores, for this he can open more lines to move merch faster but the PR of long lines is marketing manipulation so better to have a stream of wallets lined up vs bored people waiting in a line.

G00fyDad

I saw one go for $800 on ebay... I assume that was a fluke, and non payment will occur...

I... I hope...

Edit: NOT my listing. 🤣

Screenshot_20220116-210533_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

In the words of my late great father.... there is a lid for every pot. lol, I am not surprised though, about 20 years or so at the convention center where I live there was a "collectibles" show and I tell you some of the *cough* valuables that people collect definitely had me scratching my head. My personal favorite was the empty lipstick container collection.

well at least you get the "spork"

Tom Morrow

This makes me sad. You have a day at Epcot and you spend 5-8 hours of it standing in line for a piece of trash. It says so much about us that a useless piece of junk is more appealing than actually walking around a beautiful park and having actual experiences. As a culture, we've lost the plot.

To be fair, probably everyone who waited is a local with an AP that goes all the time

Raxel7851

I guess this just is the definition of true capitalism. If that EBay poster was lucky enough to find someone willing to fork over the $1500 buy it now price, that’s $300 an hour if they spent 5 hours in line. As an AP holder, we picked up a couple of AP magnets in Epcot. The CM checking our cards, told us she had already seen them listed on EBay.

Lilofan

I saw one go for $800 on ebay... I assume that was a fluke, and non payment will occur...

I... I hope...
Some will pay with money is no object mindset. Recently Elvis Presley's barber Homer Gilleland clump of hair in a jar he had been collecting was sold at auction. The winning bid was $72,500 and the fan now owns the King's hair.

JIMINYCR

What's the rush of opening/building new attractions when fans will willingly wait hours for a popcorn bucket?

All this does is tell Disney to continue pushing merchandise inside the parks.
Nothing new here. Disney has always had fans crazy for limited issue merchandise. Both to collect and resell for easy profit. Call something limited, restrict the number produced, inform the public and the lines form. Every time theres been a limited release of anything theyve been able to sell out.

Lilofan

Nothing new here. Disney has always had fans crazy for limited issue merchandise. Both to collect and resell for easy profit. Call something limited, restrict the number produced, inform the public and the lines form. Every time theres been a limited release of anything theyve been able to sell out.
Heck , even with some of the theme park store shelves at times bare, even regular merchandise bought can be attempted to be resold on eBay and some will sell. The resale market has always been a lucrative market for some including me. Back in day I used to stand out in line buying up playoff tickets or concert tickets knowing it would be sold out events and reselling them to willing buyers.

JIMINYCR

Heck , even with some of the theme park store shelves at times bare, even regular merchandise bought can be attempted to be resold on eBay and some will sell. The resale market has always been a lucrative market for some including me. Back in day I used to stand out in line buying up playoff tickets or concert tickets knowing it would be sold out events and reselling them to willing buyers.
Dont forget the sometimes available subscription services that Disney fans get park merch from on a monthly basis. Some run by CM's and former CM's and locals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom