fighter jets over WDW

FFMEDIC57

Original Poster
Did anyone see the fighter jets fly over WDW today just before 12 noon? Was it for something special or just a routine flight? They looked cool as usual.

Notnif

I have seen T-38 Talons from Kennedy Space Center fly over the parks before. They are the aircraft that astronauts train in and belong to NASA. Were they white with blue markings?

110295main_T-38.jpg

Rob562

Perhaps it was some sort of rehearsal run for the upcoming 20th Anniversary of the Studios on Friday?

-Rob

a2grafix

Did anyone see the fighter jets fly over WDW today just before 12 noon? Was it for something special or just a routine flight? They looked cool as usual.

What kind of fighter jets? US Air Force, Navy or Marine fighter jets? Let's see, we got the F-15, F-16, F-18, and F-22 (primarily) flying in and out of military bases in Florida (Pensacola, Tampa Bay, Cape Canaveral).

WelshBatman

Interesting - I read that Disney has restricted airspace, check out the article here:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030511-disney01.htm
I could see where this would not apply to the military.
Anyone else have info?

I used to think that Disney had restricted airspace too, and apparently they did but this isn't the case anymore. I figured maybe it was a fixed-wing ban in Disney airspace, because you see helicopter tours over Disney all the time, but recently I've seen a few commuter planes over Magic and Epcot. Every once in a while you see military planes going over Disney (due to NASA on one coast and MacDil over in Tampa), but I've seen more and more commuter or executive planes over Disney.

Disney05

Yes there is a TFR around WDW. From the FAA's web site. I'd post a picture from a chart but I'm unable.
Issue Date : February 09, 2009 at 2010 UTC Location : DISNEY WORLD THEME PARK ORLANDO, Florida near ORLANDO VORTAC (ORL) Beginning Date and Time : February 17, 2009 at 0501 UTC Ending Date and Time : Until further notice Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons Type : Security Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A

Greenheart22

The Sun N Fly-In in Lakeland Florida concluded yesterday. There were 2 F-16's and 2 F-18s there doing flying demos. They may have been returning to base and flew over WDW.
Greenheart22

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Maybe they were Cuban and Fidel was sabre-rattling? :lookaroun

[The Air Force didn't react because nobody believed it? :lol:]

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
from http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#fl
Florida

9/4985 (#11): PART 1 OF 2 FL.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS. DISNEY WORLD THEME PARK, ORLANDO, FL, FEBRUARY 17, 2009 LOCAL. THIS NOTAM REPLACES NOTAM 3/2122 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTAM COMPLIES WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, ALL AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR OF 282445N/0813420W OR THE ORL238014.8 UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL. EFFECTIVE 0902170501 UTC (0001 LOCAL 02/17/09) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO; THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY DISNEY EVENT AND VENUE ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. ALL END PART 1 OF 2. WIE UNTIL UFN.

FFMEDIC57

Original Poster
not sure what they were, I was on the bus on the way tho DHS WHEN I heard them, and then saw them in the distance. They did not look like the NASA jets. No biggie, just figured If anyone else saw them..But it did spur a nice conversation..Thanks anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom