Fifth Park

Tom P.

Eventually they have to build a new park because of the high demand for MK. I'am sure that when the ad something like DisneySea people will come to visit it and the other parks.
The problem is, a new park is not going to substantially lower demand for Magic Kingdom. The problem isn't park capacity. Do you have any idea how many people you can stuff into Epcot before it hits capacity? The problem is that people view Magic Kingdom as the quintessential Disney park and want to visit it more than the other parks. IMHO, the only way to effectively address the crowd problem at MK is to actually expand MK. But there are many logistical reasons why that is difficult.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The problem is, a new park is not going to substantially lower demand for Magic Kingdom. The problem isn't park capacity. Do you have any idea how many people you can stuff into Epcot before it hits capacity? The problem is that people view Magic Kingdom as the quintessential Disney park and want to visit it more than the other parks. IMHO, the only way to effectively address the crowd problem at MK is to actually expand MK. But there are many logistical reasons why that is difficult.

The MK overcrowding problem is a hard nut to track for the very reason you mention. The only way to take pressure off MK is to build thing that will attract people to the other parks without significantly increasing WDW attendance overall.

Walt Disney1955

No, there won't be a 5th gate. Disney drags their heels when it comes to building attractions let alone an entire park. Let's just do the math here. In 1966 ground was broken to start WDW. By October 1971 the park opened and it was only Magic Kingdom. So they needed 5 years to build what was a good park, but smaller than what it is today. Plus the surrounding area. To be honest, I think if anything they were faster than what we would see today. I saw an interview when Walt was talking about Disneyland being opened a year. So this is 1956. He was talking about a couple of different attractions that were opening that year. It just goes to show you that they built things a lot faster then. Heck, do people know how quick the Empire State Building was made in 1931? Pretty fast.

deix15x8

Does every resort need a signature park? Disney has a required park with the Magic Kingdom which is at every single resort. Then you need something else to truly differentiate and force you to travel for. I would never travel for Hong Kong or Shanghai with their existing Magic Kingdom only resorts (though Shanghai's is pushing the limits of that definition pretty far), but I would love to travel to Tokyo because of DisneySea. It's OK to copy parks if the resorts are far enough apart, but every resort needs a park of their own that people MUST travel to see. With travel getting so much quicker and easier distance is no longer a real barrier like it was just a decade or two ago. At the moment only a few of the resorts have a unique park:
  • Disneyland: California Adventure
  • Walt Disney World: Animal Kingdom (Epcot as well, but I think it has less travel appeal)
  • Disneyland Paris: Nothing (Two parks that are in WDW, hopefully they get a unique park for the new third gate)
  • Tokyo Disney: Disney Sea
  • Hong Kong: Nothing
  • Shanghai: Nothing
I know I would love a Disney Sea ported to WDW so I wouldn't have to travel far to see it, but I also think it has to stay Tokyo's special park. At least until Tokyo opens a new unique third gate which is rumored. Anyone else think it's important each resort has a signature uniqeu park rather than just duplicating parks everywhere?

What kind of new park do you think the currently generic resorts could add to give them something special and fitting?

Walt Disney1955

Also, let's keep in mind there are lots of things to improve in all 4 parks. Magic Kingdom has the space for a couple more attractions without using much space. That could thin the crowds out a bit. The other three parks either have some things being built to improve them right now or could use some things to improve them. Then there are two water parks. Basically you can spend 6 days at WDW and only do one park each and that doesn't include other things like Disney Springs. So my question is, how many more things do you expect them to make? Like others have said, a 5th park would easily take years and years to complete.

Lastly, the 2015 attendance figures show again that Disney has nothing to worry about.

Magic Kingdom 20.4 million
Disneyland 18.2
Tokyo Disneyland 16.6
Universal Japan 13.9
Tokyo DisneySea 13.6
Epcot 11.7
Animal Kingdom 10.9
Disney Hollywood Studios 10.8
Universal Orlando 9.5
Islands of Adventure 8.7

I'm sorry, but despite all of the advances Universal has made in recent years they are light years away from attendance of the Magic Kingdom. Close to the other three parks, but not to the flagship park. They will have to wake up pretty early in the morning to surpass those.

Franklin47disneyguy

Well if you have a fifth park of TDS quality that will definitely help.

ajkraz

I don't see a new park even getting announced for the next 5 years, Disney has started some massive projects lately (New fantasyland, Avatarland/night at Animal Kingdom, Star Wars and Toy Story Land, Disney Springs revamp) and I think they would like to take a little break after completing these all of these projects. That being said, there is always the chance of Disney making a new theme park, but, if I were to speculate, Disney probably would take their time and try to make more rides and restaurants at the park than usual, Animal Kingdom is almost 20 years old and is only now starting to feel complete. The gist of things is that if Disney were to announce the park under the qualifications I said above, the park would be open in 10 years at the absolute earliest and 15 years at the latest.

mousehockey37

I'm a newbie to this forum so dont' hate me if this has been answered a million times!

But I've heard rumors recently from some developers in Florida that there is a HUGE amount of spae next to DW and I was wondering if there have been any updates about a possible fifth park.

Especially with prices going up at the main parks and competition at Universal rising, do you think there's a chance they'd push for a fifth park anytime soon??? I've always been a fan of the Dark Kingdom concept but I'm just curious

Just search for these things. They went through a lot of trouble to make that little box at the top of the page. :jawdrop:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The MK overcrowding problem is a hard nut to track for the very reason you mention. The only way to take pressure off MK is to build thing that will attract people to the other parks without significantly increasing WDW attendance overall.

This is similar to the problem of congested highways: you build more lanes and rather than the current crowd spreading out, more cars wind up using the upgraded highway and it remains as congested as ever.

Not only that, but MK has bottlenecks in the TTC to front gate route, bag check, and tapstiles. I was at the MK this past Sunday, and at 10 AM, all those things were backed up.

The real goal would be to keep increasing the attractiveness of the other parks so that people stop making MK a multiple-day stop for families on a week's vacation. AK having a night time experience and being open to at least 9 PM will help a lot.

SteveAZee

This has not been answered a million times..... we are probably going on 2 to 3 million times by now. ;)

There was a rumor floating around a year or so ago that a fifth gate was coming to the large plot of land west of Flamingo Crossing, but that rumor came from a site that was putting some erroneous facts together to reach the conclusion. It has also become even less likely for that land because Disney has recently filed a permit to run a road right through the middle of it.

Is there a place on property that has a couple hundred acres of land that could be a fifth park? I'm just wondering where the likely location(s) would be way down the road. I'm assuming someone in planning has a spot or two earmarked for a fifth park whether it ever gets built or not.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is there a place on property that has a couple hundred acres of land that could be a fifth park? I'm just wondering where the likely location(s) would be way down the road. I'm assuming someone in planning has a spot or two earmarked for a fifth park whether it ever gets built or not.

Here is the land suitability map from the RCID 2020 plan. Red is considered suitable for construction, light green marginally suitable and dark green unsuitable. Technically they can build wherever they want but the less suitable the land, the harder it is to build and the more red-tape they need to go through to make the land available. The largest block of suitable land left is east of the former speedway location. There is also a good sized chunk north of ESPN. The land west of DHS has been used for the new fireworks launch and storm water pond so that's off the table for now. There is a mix of suitable and unsuitable west of MK and another west of Flamingo Crossing. I doubt they plan to use the Flamingo Crossing site because they are plans to put a road right through the middle of it and I don't think they would have allowed third party hotels to be build at Flamingo Crossing if they intended to put a park out there.

upload_2017-3-6_19-14-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-6_19-13-40.png
    upload_2017-3-6_19-13-40.png
    402.2 KB · Views: 51

Stripes

Here is the land suitability map from the RCID 2020 plan. Red is considered suitable for construction, light green marginally suitable and dark green unsuitable. Technically they can build wherever they want but the less suitable the land, the harder it is to build and the more red-tape they need to go through to make the land available. The largest block of suitable land left is east of the former speedway location. There is also a good sized chunk north of ESPN. The land west of DHS has been used for the new fireworks launch and storm water pond so that's off the table for now. There is a mix of suitable and unsuitable west of MK and another west of Flamingo Crossing. I doubt they plan to use the Flamingo Crossing site because they are plans to put a road right through the middle of it and I don't think they would have allowed third party hotels to be build at Flamingo Crossing if they intended to put a park out there.

View attachment 192702
Well, they certainly have something planned for it. What? Who knows. In the road you're referring to there's a pedestrian overpass presently in the middle of nowhere, which indicates there are plans for future development.

SteveAZee

View attachment 192702

The land east of of the speedway makes a lot of sense. Centrally located... could even (gulp) have a monorail spur included, and there's enough room to add some resorts as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, they certainly have something planned for it. What? Who knows. In the road you're referring to there's a pedestrian overpass presently in the middle of nowhere, which indicates there are plans for future development.

Yeah, they clearly have some plans, but I don't see it being a theme park. I believe there was a rumor that more cast member housing would be built out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom