Few Questions about AKL

disneyflush

My family will be heading down to AKL (Kidani Village side) on November 26 and I have a few questions going in and would really appreciate any feedback!

1. I've read horror stories about the bus transportation to all the parks except AK and since we are driving down from Indiana we are considering just driving to each of the parks instead of dealing with a double stroller on/off crowded buses every day. Would we still need to pay to park in each parking lot at the parks? How long a drive is it to the parks from AKL (20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc)?

2. Is there an optimal time to request a room before arriving? I've read that the 10 day mark is good, anyone had good experiences doing this?

3. I have also read that having a room toward the end of either of the wings can make the walk from the lobby upwards of 20 minutes, is this true? Assuming it is, how on earth did those design plans get approved!?

Being about a month out I'm nervous and excited and trying to minimize potential unpleasantness while we are down there. Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to respond to any of these questions!

SleepingMonk

1. Never had any major issues with the bus service, it's no more a hassle than from any other resort.

2. This is one of our biggest issues with Disney resorts. You can "request" a certain bed but it's not likely you'll get it. Want a king? Good luck! I think each resort has one per floor. Also many of the resorts offer club level, a good view, a king bed...but not all three at once. You can pick club level and take your chance on the view, or pick your view and take your chance on the bed size.

3. A 20 minute walk in one direction would mean MILES of hallway! It's a big resort, but not that big.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My family will be heading down to AKL (Kidani Village side) on November 26 and I have a few questions going in and would really appreciate any feedback!

1. I've read horror stories about the bus transportation to all the parks except AK and since we are driving down from Indiana we are considering just driving to each of the parks instead of dealing with a double stroller on/off crowded buses every day. Would we still need to pay to park in each parking lot at the parks? How long a drive is it to the parks from AKL (20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc)? The horror stories are either greatly exaggerated or anomalies as AKL has some of the most consistent transportation of any of the Disney resorts. The actual drive time from AKL to the parks is roughly 15-20 minutes and about 30-40 for DTD. The variable will be the wait time for a bus. If you just miss a but chances are you will be waiting about 20 minutes for the next one.

2. Is there an optimal time to request a room before arriving? I've read that the 10 day mark is good, anyone had good experiences doing this? Request it when you make the reservation. If you wait until you arrive there is very little chance you will be able to get your request.

3. I have also read that having a room toward the end of either of the wings can make the walk from the lobby upwards of 20 minutes, is this true? Assuming it is, how on earth did those design plans get approved!? Sure it's true...if you have a broken leg, forgot your crutches and stopped for a drink along the way. I have been at the outer most rooms and the walk to the lobby is 5-10 minutes tops. Tack on an extra 5 at most to get to the bus stop

Being about a month out I'm nervous and excited and trying to minimize potential unpleasantness while we are down there. Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to respond to any of these questions!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

It may be a 20 minute walk because you're also navigating that double stroller, but even then I'm not sure it'd be that long. Bear in mind, I do a lot of out-of-my-way "city walkin'" every day so your mileage, literally, may vary.

The time I've spent in AKL, I never experienced problems with the buses beyond my own impatience to go go go. Actual times were not bad. However, with a double stroller, you may want to drive anyway, just because, while the buses may arrive and depart more regularly than others will make you think, they will still be busy. We've only gone once with our daughter, every other time we hadn't had kids yet. But with the exception of MK, we usually drove to every park anyway. But we also usually arrived early enough (or otherwise had good timing) that we could still easily walk to the main entrance from our parking spot. Next time we go, we're using the double stroller as well. It's one of the reasons I chose to stay at Bay Lake Towers, figuring that MK would be the park we visited most, we can walk from there. Most of the other parks, we'll either monorail to Epcot or use our car to get everywhere.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Regardless of what resort you are staying at, it is always faster to drive your own car there. The only exception to this is the Magic Kingdom, where the bus drops you off at the gate, as opposed to the TTC, where you'll have to park.

If you're going to have your own car...drive to the parks. They'll give you a parking pass at check-in that will allow you to park on property for free for the duration of your trip.

Upvote 0

disneyflush

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the information everyone. That really helps! Master Yoda, its great to hear the far wings aren't out in the goondocks!

I think we will drive to the parks. Really seems like that will simplify things with the stroller and kids. Would be be required to pay parking since we are resort guests? I wouldn't think so but wanted to double check.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Thanks so much for the information everyone. That really helps! Master Yoda, its great to hear the far wings aren't out in the goondocks!

I think we will drive to the parks. Really seems like that will simplify things with the stroller and kids. Would be be required to pay parking since we are resort guests? I wouldn't think so but wanted to double check.

Nope.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

1. I've read horror stories about the bus transportation to all the parks except AK and since we are driving down from Indiana we are considering just driving to each of the parks instead of dealing with a double stroller on/off crowded buses every day. Would we still need to pay to park in each parking lot at the parks? How long a drive is it to the parks from AKL (20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc)?

The horror stories are well overrated at AK. The bus system can be a pain but from my experience no more so than the other resorts that use the buses. Driving if you have a car is usually easier just because you can go when you want to go and not have to wait for anything. You will not have to pay for parking and will get a parking pass when you check-in to the resort. As far as the drive, AK is about 5 min. to the front gate; Epcot and Studios are around 20 -25 min. and Magic Kingdom is about 30-35 min. Then you have to park the car, take the tram, etc.

2. Is there an optimal time to request a room before arriving? I've read that the 10 day mark is good, anyone had good experiences doing this?

Room reservations are downloaded into the hotel's system 10 days before your arrival which is why that is a good time to do it. We gets tons and tons of requests at DAKL for rooms all the time and will do our best to accommodate you but a lot of the time, we just may not have what exactly your looking for so if you don't get it, don't get to upset about it. One example someone said is with the King Bed rooms. There are 18 (if my memory serves me correct) King Bed regular (non-DVC) rooms in Jambo House. Most of these are reserved for people with disabilities as they are the handicapped accessible rooms. Hence you see why it is so difficult to get them. Disney is a family resort which is why most have two queens or a queen and a bunk configuration. Again, we'll do our best to make sure you get what you want and are happy but even if you request it, it won't always happen. You may be asked if you'd like to twice rooms once your request is available later in your stay so that is another option if you're interested.

3. I have also read that having a room toward the end of either of the wings can make the walk from the lobby upwards of 20 minutes, is this true? Assuming it is, how on earth did those design plans get approved!?

The walk is long and the resort is huge but it's not that big. I mean if you walk really slow it will be but I promise it's not. Kidani's wings are a quarter of a mile from the lobby in each direction so pending you walk a 20 min. mile, it'll take you about 5 minutes to actually walk that. Jambo is a little smaller. Again, if it's something you don't want to be all the way out there, you can request it but it's not as bad as everyone says.

Hope that helps! If you have anymore questions about "my home" let me know! =)

Upvote 0
I would drive except to the Magic Kingdom because the resort buses drop you at the magic kingdom gates instead of the ticket transporation center. You would have to take a boat or monorail to the mk if you drove. Leaving the park (Magic kingdom) at closing would take a lot longer to get back to your car then if you took the bus.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

If you are driving to the parks, you won't be walking to the lobby anyway.

Unless you are going to Saana or the store, there is no reason to go to the lobby once you check in.

You will be able to park your car near (or under) your room.

-dave

Upvote 0

828tnt

we just returned from kidani 5 weeks ago. let me first say, we loved it! it's a beautiful resort with one of the best pool/ spa areas on property. the staff was great- they really went out of their way to help us with our "having a baby 6 weeks early thing".

as far as your questions go, i agree with almost everything everyone else has said.

1- personally, i'm not a big fan of the busses at akl. ssr has been the only one that is more frustrating imo. we drove on our last trip and loved it. we even took a trip off property (even some not baby related :animwink:). park hopping is far more simple this way too. one small thing to keep in mind lol- i noticed i was a terrible driver for the first 2-3 days, i wanted to look around at everything lol. some of the signage can be a bit last minute too, but it's really not that big of a deal. and the times for driving are nothing to worry about- 10 minutes are normal.

2- i'd make your requests right away. we had asked for a room close to the lobby since my wife was pregnant and got it, but there's only so many that can be done. and as phonedave mentioned, if you drive, there's not real concern here at all. most parking will be on the ground floor and very convenient.

3- not sure here since we were closer to the lobby, but this seems a bit exagerated. besides, if you are near the end, the views of the savana may possibly be better and with the convenience of haveing your car nearby it may be worth it...

hope i helped! and enjoy your trip!!!! we did!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom