Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

RSoxNo1

So, the question is, will they start building a new theatre early next year and then FOTLK would close in September and reopen in the new place in October/November? Or will they close it in September, and then it is closed till June/July 2014?

And what does this mean for Avatar? (although I would prefer them to build Avatar on currently unused land, and then reuse CMM for Australasia or something like that!
I would hope that this is the plan, but I'm curious if it means that construction in the area wouldn't begin until September when FotLK closes in CMM.

MarkTwain

Yeah, I would hope that they would use the name Australasia or Oceania instead of Australia, if they were to create a land based around that region, but I would guess that they would go with Australasia out of the two - people entering Oceania would probably be expecting something to do with the Oceans!

Or the setting of 1984

GrumpyFan

It was reported on another site that Imagineers were spotted backstage at DAK with plans and they looking around the area between the Dawa Bar in the Harambe Village section of Africa and the perimeter road. It's speculated that they were scoping out the new site for Festival of the Lion King's re-location so they can begin building the area that will supposedly be for Avatar.
Anybody else see them or know anything about this?

Atomicmickey

This makes sense for all sorts of reasons. FOTLK fits nicely in Africa, and yup it frees
up that plot for . . . whatever ends up going there. This plus the impending closure,
makes it all add up.

OFTeric

maybe they can finally add a proper stage so that the performers aren't dancing on concrete any more like in HKDL

hollywoodj

They just hired new performers for the show who likely have contracts that must expire first. I don't think the show is closing anytime in the next six months at least.

wdw71fan

So... this a recreation of what I've seen... I made a few mins ago... this is the plan, and it's green lit.. very minor 'prework' required before this will get under way.... My understanding is that there won't be much hoopla around the relocation, because it's just a 'move'...

2DBnX.jpg

Captain Chaos

Build the new theater then move? Makes the most sense... Weren't people speculating they would close the show, then build the new theater all on the name of saving cash?

Buck

So... this a recreation of what I've seen... I made a few mins ago... this is the plan, and it's green lit.. very minor 'prework' required before this will get under way.... My understanding is that there won't be much hoopla around the relocation, because it's just a 'move'...

2DBnX.jpg

Any plusses at all? Queue? Signage? Interior theming?

DocMcHulk

Will they be dismantling and relocating it, or building brand new while the other still operates?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So... this a recreation of what I've seen... I made a few mins ago... this is the plan, and it's green lit.. very minor 'prework' required before this will get under way.... My understanding is that there won't be much hoopla around the relocation..
But if they add to the offering it could gain more publicity...

WDW95

I do think it could look nice in Africa IF they follow the design motif established at Hong Kong Disneyland's Festival of the Lion King. Their's looks really nice like it is in an African village with the landscaping, straw hut roof, African decoration, etc. I hope if this is true they follow that look rather than copying the craftsman look it currently has.

I think that if they build it kind of separated from Harambe village, then it would add more to the area thematically. Guests can travel from the more urban village to the wild Savannah where the show would be.

However, the move to Africa is a little concerning to me. Everyone seems to always be concerned about the character invasions of the park. I know many think that the show fits better in Africa but realize that Africa at DAK is supposed to be a REAL, ACTUAL interpretation of the REAL, ACTUAL Africa. In Africa there are no talking, cartoon lions. It was supposed to be REAL. That is why all the Disney characters were contained to Camp Minnie Mickey. Only Flick is in the Tree of Life but all the other lands are devoid of Disney characters. It was nice not having Disney characters down our throats all the time. In Tokyo DisneySea, there were no cartoons as they represented real places. I always thought about DAK like this. And the focus of the park and Africa should be on REAL animals so I hope FOTLK does not take away from the Realness of the area. However, it is a fabulous show and I think it is worth the compromising the theme in order to save the show. Without it, the park would be missing a lot.

Regardless, I think if they build it like HKDL, it will be a nice addition. Just don't do it on the cheap please.

SirLink

I do think it could look nice in Africa IF they follow the design motif established at Hong Kong Disneyland's Festival of the Lion King. Their's looks really nice like it is in an African village with the landscaping, straw hut roof, African decoration, etc. I hope if this is true they follow that look rather than copying the craftsman look it currently has.

I think that if they build it kind of separated from Harambe village, then it would add more to the area thematically. Guests can travel from the more urban village to the wild Savannah where the show would be.

However, the move to Africa is a little concerning to me. Everyone seems to always be concerned about the character invasions of the park. I know many think that the show fits better in Africa but realize that Africa at DAK is supposed to be a REAL, ACTUAL interpretation of the REAL, ACTUAL Africa. In Africa there are no talking, cartoon lions. It was supposed to be REAL. That is why all the Disney characters were contained to Camp Minnie Mickey. Only Flick is in the Tree of Life but all the other lands are devoid of Disney characters. It was nice not having Disney characters down our throats all the time. In Tokyo DisneySea, there were no cartoons as they represented real places. I always thought about DAK like this. And the focus of the park and Africa should be on REAL animals so I hope FOTLK does not take away from the Realness of the area. However, it is a fabulous show and I think it is worth the compromising the theme in order to save the show. Without it, the park would be missing a lot.

Regardless, I think if they build it like HKDL, it will be a nice addition. Just don't do it on the cheap please.

Apart from Genie and Aladdin invading the Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon representing all of The Little Mermaid and Toy Story Mania being present in The American Waterfront. So 3 out of 7 lands have characters in them - technically 4 depending on how you class Dr Jones.

Edit: Forgot about Turtle Talk in The American Waterfront as well.

WDW95

Apart from Genie and Aladdin invading the Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon representing all of The Little Mermaid and Toy Story Mania being present in The American Waterfront. So 3 out of 7 lands have characters in them - technically 4 depending on how you class Dr Jones.

Edit: Forgot about Turtle Talk in The American Waterfront as well.

This is really irrelevant and off topic but when the park opened, American Waterfront was devoid of characters, The Little Mermaid was designed to be character based like Camp Minnie Mickey, and Arabian Coast was already fantasy based, storybook Arabian village.

I meant by that statement that the second gates always seemed to me that they should be more realistic whereas the fantasy environments are left to the Magic Kingdom.

I do think though that the FOTLK will be fine in Africa, though I am worried that they are altering the original vision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom