Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

GrantR

Seemingly the only one who adores the music. For too long Disney has been stuck in that tacky outdated broadway chorus sound that not even broadway uses anymore. I don't know why everyone's moaning about audio sync. That happens in parades. With floats this big with such powerful multidirectional sound systems, it's no surprise that they can be heard while seeing another float. It's obvious they've worked with that, seeing as the unit audio works great together and choreo fits perfectly, unlike PoD. I think people should stop being negative, it's a wonderful show.

SpectroMan93

Was glad to see that too. DLR and DLRP moved to face fairies many many years ago, and it's much better than the bizarre rubber head versions WDW has used for so long.

The Segway effect is in use in DLRP's current parade. Not sure why it didn't make the cut here.
You can even tell that parts of the choreography for the fairies were meant to have the segways. Though in the context of the unit with everything already going on, I don't think the segway system would have made much of a difference. Love that they're finally face characters though, and their parade costumes are beautiful. The Maleficent unit really got the works.

Jabbas

Beautiful parade! Everything is bright and gives out so much energy. Most of the pictures I've seen on Instagram are of Pinocchio. I didn't realize how popular that movie was. It always scared me when I was younger.

tcsnwhite

Seemingly the only one who adores the music. For too long Disney has been stuck in that tacky outdated broadway chorus sound that not even broadway uses anymore. I don't know why everyone's moaning about audio sync. That happens in parades. With floats this big with such powerful multidirectional sound systems, it's no surprise that they can be heard while seeing another float. It's obvious they've worked with that, seeing as the unit audio works great together and choreo fits perfectly, unlike PoD. I think people should stop being negative, it's a wonderful show.

You're not the only one. It's growing on me... a lot!!! The orchestrations are beautiful.

I also notice a few lifts from Soundsational in there, in the float specific sections. It's not quite the same, but it sounds like they based the orchestrations of some of the float specific music for a few of those units from Soundsational. TLM and Finale (with Mickey) have some similarities... I really like it. It works.

I'm also glad the Three Good Fairies are face characters (FINALLY)...and actually not on the 'Segway-like' rovers. I mean, it's cool...but I actually like that they're on the ground doing choreography.
And their costumes are stunning. One of the real costume highlights!!! Custom wigs for each, playing with the color pattern of the fabrics (which is actually quite close to what they actually looked like in the films, but still stylized)...

Just curious...but were the Segway drive units for the fairies even confirmed...or just speculated...? I know Paris uses them...but never heard of it being for this particular parade until I came to this board...

cmoliver68

There are a lot of positive posts about this parade (and many other Disney topics) but way too many negative ones. This is a new parade and there are things to be worked out. I was at the parade within steps of where it began. I noticed an audio problem but so what? Things happen. Personally, I didn't care of the fact that you can see the driver of the dragon but that's not my decision to make. Remember what Disney is all about and primarily who it is for. I haven't heard a single kid make a complaint about the floats, music or other effects used. I am 45 years old and have a 7 year old daughter. Disney is our special place to escape from the real world. I have been hundreds of times and have seen most everything many, many times. Nevertheless, every time I walk under the arches in TTC and the music begins, it is just like my first visit. I have said to my family, as soon as the magic is gone when I walk through the gates then I will stop going. My advice to some people hear would be to do the same. Disney is the place where dreams do come true. When you walk in and do nothing but complain then you should simply stop going. Oh, and by the way, as soon as you complainers open your own multi-billion dollar theme park and create your own parades please be sure to invite us all so we can see how much better you do it.

fbb

There are a lot of positive posts about this parade (and many other Disney topics) but way too many negative ones. This is a new parade and there are things to be worked out. I was at the parade within steps of where it began. I noticed an audio problem but so what? Things happen. Personally, I didn't care of the fact that you can see the driver of the dragon but that's not my decision to make. Remember what Disney is all about and primarily who it is for. I haven't heard a single kid make a complaint about the floats, music or other effects used. I am 45 years old and have a 7 year old daughter. Disney is our special place to escape from the real world. I have been hundreds of times and have seen most everything many, many times. Nevertheless, every time I walk under the arches in TTC and the music begins, it is just like my first visit. I have said to my family, as soon as the magic is gone when I walk through the gates then I will stop going. My advice to some people hear would be to do the same. Disney is the place where dreams do come true. When you walk in and do nothing but complain then you should simply stop going. Oh, and by the way, as soon as you complainers open your own multi-billion dollar theme park and create your own parades please be sure to invite us all so we can see how much better you do it.

I am looking forward to seeing the parade during the summer, but if my two choices are to like it or to build my own multi-billion dollar theme park, it becomes risky.

etwtec

I was amazed at what I saw yesterday! I'm so glad MK finally got a modern parade like the other parks around the world. Yeah it may have some issues but it was only the first performance! I'm sure it will take awhile to perfect it! :)

SpectroMan93

Gotta love social media. A behind-the-scenes pic of the making of Elsa and Anna's background for the PG float. I didn't think the icy nature of Frozen would work on the PG float, but they did a decent job melding it into the design. And Elsa, Anna, and Olaf are so adorable up there, I can't really complain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 147

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I understand what you are saying, but the point of a discussion forum it to have discussions which normally involves differences of opinion. This would be a boring place if everyone came on here and did nothing but gush about how perfect Disney is. Yes, there are probably a few people on here who complain for the sake of just complaining, and few that hate everything Disney is doing, but most people have a more balanced view then that. If you truly love the parks there is still nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws, of they things that you don't like.

lebeau

"Agree with me or go away!"

That will make for a fun conversation.

Remember, Disney World was built for kids who eat paste. If they don't see a problem with it, you shouldn't either.

Brilliant post. Well done.

tcsnwhite

Ummm, just because some people have criticisms...does not necessarily mean they are being negative.
Not everyone has to blindly worship something. It's actually a good thing to think critically and with your own mind.
And just because some of us have strong criticisms and are analyzing the parade a bit more than others, does not mean we are being negative. For some of us, theatrical design/production design/costume design/etc. is our current or aspiring area of interest or work...so we see these things with bit more of a critical eye than others.
Also, some of us follow Disney Park entertainment very closely, and have for a long time, so again, we have a bit more of a critical eye.
Critical =/= negativity.
We can be critical/see what works and does not work/look for areas of improvement, AND still love the work.

(ps. And Disney is for far more than little kids. We wouldn't even be here if it was, and I highly doubt multi-millions would continuously be spent on these VERY expensive parade productions if they were simply for the little tike set.
Disney is what it is, and achieves it's greatest work and successes when it appeals to everyone, and doesn't talk down to its audience (as even Mr. Disney himself said). )

Last edited:

FutureWorld1982

Finally, Magic Kingdom Park's parade department joins the 21st century! This new parade, while not terribly groundbreaking artistically or overwhelmingly impressive in any way, is a vast improvement over the embarrassments they've been running on that parade route for at least the past decade.

While I agree with you that this new parade is much, much better than its predecessor, I will not agree on the fact that it is not "groundbreaking artistically or overwhelmingly impressive." Mickey's Soundsational Parade is definitely NOT groundbreaking, but Festival of Fantasy is. It is very rare to see REAL FIRE being used in a parade. Also, what about those characters from Tangled swinging like crazy? Having seen many Disney parades around the world, I can tell you that this is one of the best I have ever seen. I don't know what you were expecting.

Oh, and with this post I am not trying to imply that I don't appreciate your comment. My question is true (and friendly).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom