Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

GiveMeTheMusic

The fundamental flaw in your argument is that Disney never made the statement that they cannot stomach another summer like 2012. To members of this board, Disney is not doing well. To everyone else Disney is still a great place to vacation.

Now if you want to talk solely about whether "wrist bands" is a good move or not, we can do that. But they aren't related, no matter how many times you end your posts with it.

Didn't say Disney isn't still a great place to vacation. Still is, especially if you're a first timer and have no idea what's missing. But you have two theme parks out of four that are on an attendance decline. Rather than invest in these parks to strengthen them, they've been allowed to rot enough that the general public is losing interest. How long can they use DLR's numbers to make WDW look good? Not too much longer if room occupancy and attendance continue to decline.

All matters of WDW spending are related to MM+, because WDW is spending $1.5 billion+ on wristbands. That's enough money to fix the woes of DHS and DAK with some big time attractions, or fix some of the rotting transportation infrastructure, or add serious capacity to MK. Instead, wristbands. Regardless of whether that budgeting decision was made by Burbank or TDO, it's a decision that has been made and it affects whether WDW is given further capital to work with on other matters; like parades and rides.

So, whether parades are closing because WDW can't afford them because of FOF, or because of MM+, or because the moon cheese - it doesn't matter. Cutting from struggling parks may provide a short term balance sheet improvement, but will only drive attendance further down, compounding crowding issues at MK and driving guests into the diminutive arms of Daniel Radcliffe. None of it is good business.

Where's Patty Melt when you need shim to whine about the MBAs?! ;)

MattM

Didn't say Disney isn't still a great place to vacation. Still is, especially if you're a first timer and have no idea what's missing. But you have two theme parks out of four that are on an attendance decline. Rather than invest in these parks to strengthen them, they've been allowed to rot enough that the general public is losing interest. How long can they use DLR's numbers to make WDW look good? Not too much longer if room occupancy and attendance continue to decline.

All matters of WDW spending are related to MM+, because WDW is spending $1.5 billion+ on wristbands. That's enough money to fix the woes of DHS and DAK with some big time attractions, or fix some of the rotting transportation infrastructure, or add serious capacity to MK. Instead, wristbands. Regardless of whether that budgeting decision was made by Burbank or TDO, it's a decision that has been made and it affects whether WDW is given further capital to work with on other matters; like parades and rides.

So, whether parades are closing because WDW can't afford them because of FOF, or because of MM+, or because the moon cheese - it doesn't matter. Cutting from struggling parks may provide a short term balance sheet improvement, but will only drive attendance further down, compounding crowding issues at MK and driving guests into the diminutive arms of Daniel Radcliffe. None of it is good business.

Where's Patty Melt when you need shim to whine about the MBAs?! ;)

Do you know that those two parks are not having money invested in them at the time? You are using the cutting of MJJP & the Pixar Parade cancellation as your sole thesis. Truth is, you really have no idea what is going on within the company. All you know is what Disney has made public, or what rumors are floated around here.

You have no idea what the value will be of MM+. You say Potter will win from the move. Maybe they will. But maybe people who come to Disney will just take one day of their vacation to go see Potter, and spend the rest of their time on WDW property. You dont know, I dont know, none of us know yet.

And from my perspective, the more people coming into Orlando in general is good business.

GiveMeTheMusic

I have access to info that is not public - whether you believe that or not is fine and ultimately immaterial, as most of it can't be shared anyway. But with or without that information, if money was being invested in those parks, there'd be construction. There isn't, and there hasn't been since American Idol opened at DHS in 2009. DAK hasn't had an addition since 2006. At the earliest, we could see something open in either park in 2016. 7 years out from DHS' most recent addition, 10 from DAK's. I wonder why no one shows up?

There MIGHT be money invested into those parks by 2016/17/18; construction could theoretically begin at any time. I hope it does, but it's far from set in stone. I think most of the execs in Burbank realize these parks need attention, but how long it takes them to pay up and get it done is another matter altogether.

MM+ is not valuable as a marketable addition. If you can't explain it in a single sentence, it's not mass marketable. Whereas, "holy poopballs, there's an amazing new Harry Potter ride" is the kind of thing that people can spread to each other quickly with no explanation needed. Try and explain MM+ to a friend or loved one who isn't a Disney nut, and watch their eyes glaze over as their mind drifts off to the latest developments in the Reese Witherspoon DUI. The only thing people might get is "reserve a ride time in advance." Is that marketable? Remains to be seen.

MattM

I have access to info that is not public - whether you believe that or not is fine and ultimately immaterial, as most of it can't be shared anyway. But with or without that information, if money was being invested in those parks, there'd be construction. There isn't, and there hasn't been since American Idol opened at DHS in 2009. DAK hasn't had an addition since 2006. At the earliest, we could see something open in either park in 2016. 7 years out from DHS' most recent addition, 10 from DAK's. I wonder why no one shows up?

There MIGHT be money invested into those parks by 2016/17/18; construction could theoretically begin at any time. I hope it does, but it's far from set in stone. I think most of the execs in Burbank realize these parks need attention, but how long it takes them to pay up and get it done is another matter altogether.

MM+ is not valuable as a marketable addition. If you can't explain it in a single sentence, it's not mass marketable. Whereas, "holy poopballs, there's an amazing new Harry Potter ride" is the kind of thing that people can spread to each other quickly with no explanation needed. Try and explain MM+ to a friend or loved one who isn't a Disney nut, and watch their eyes glaze over as their mind drifts off to the latest developments in the Reese Witherspoon DUI. The only thing people might get is "reserve a ride time in advance." Is that marketable? Remains to be seen.

Well what if I have information that is not public, too?

I don't disagree that DHS and DAK could use some much needed attention. My only point was that doing away with MJJP and the Pixar Parade is not really an indication of anything.

GiveMeTheMusic

Well what if I have information that is not public, too?

I don't disagree that DHS and DAK could use some much needed attention. My only point was that doing away with MJJP and the Pixar Parade is not really an indication of anything.

You very well may! I hope your info is better than mine!

My point is that doing away with MJJP and CTF (MJJP in particular) is unnecessary and in the case of MJJP, not in the best interest of the guests or DAK. If indeed the move was to help cover costs for FOF, that is a sad state of affairs indeed.

luv

I love the current AK parade music. It is not the best parade in the world, but the music is fantastic and it is fun...better than nothing.

I'd hate to see the AK lose its parade. :(

doctornick

I have access to info that is not public - whether you believe that or not is fine and ultimately immaterial, as most of it can't be shared anyway. But with or without that information, if money was being invested in those parks, there'd be construction. There isn't, and there hasn't been since American Idol opened at DHS in 2009. DAK hasn't had an addition since 2006. At the earliest, we could see something open in either park in 2016. 7 years out from DHS' most recent addition, 10 from DAK's.

Well, there certainly is construction going on at DAK. Otherwise, it is confusing as to why there are walls up in Africa. Whether this is part of actually building a new snazzy ride is not entirely certain, but it's demonstratably false to say that no constructio is going on in that park.

GiveMeTheMusic

Well, there certainly is construction going on at DAK. Otherwise, it is confusing as to why there are walls up in Africa. Whether this is part of actually building a new snazzy ride is not entirely certain, but it's demonstratably false to say that no constructio is going on in that park.

My mistake, although the construction is for Festival of the Lion King's relocated theater - doesn't really count. Same show moving across the park.

doctornick

My mistake, although the construction is for Festival of the Lion King's relocated theater - doesn't really count. Same show moving across the park.

Sure, but they are spending money movin the theater and they wouldn't do that if they didn't intend to use the current CMM space for new stuff. That doesn't mean Avatar or whatever is certain to happen, but moving the FOTLK is step 1 so it can't be ignored IMHO as part of the construction process.

GiveMeTheMusic

Sure, but they are spending money movin the theater and they wouldn't do that if they didn't intend to use the current CMM space for new stuff. That doesn't mean Avatar or whatever is certain to happen, but moving the FOTLK is step 1 so it can't be ignored IMHO as part of the construction process.

But it's not a net gain for the park until something new is built. So if/when the CMM area is used for a new attraction, such as Avatar, then we'll be onto something. If CMM just sits empty and unused for a prolonged period of time, the park will be no better/worse off than before. It's essentially a refurb.

djlaosc

I wonder how much Disney could save by closing "Campfire Treats" and "Camp Kiosk" compared to how much they bring in?
Cut they cut some cast member positions? (I don't know how their contracts work - they could just get moved to a different position, but then they could hire fewer cast members in the future)
Could they cut some custodian hours as they will have less area to clean?

I know that the savings probably wouldn't cause them to move the theatre, but long-term...

For all we know, "Camp Minnie-Mickey" could be the next "Festival Centre", "Millennium Village" or "Odyssey". (How did the "Taste of Africa" Festival work out?)

Do I think that's likely? No, but you never know...

gonnichi

Do we know why this new parade was given the go ahead now? What is it purpose for increasing revenue? The MK is always so crowded already will the parade increase attendance much? We have had old substandard Parades for so many years now in WDW compared to other parks I'm just wondering why now? Next summer a large amount of guests will be visiting Orlando to see Potter 2.0 does WDW really need a new parade to get people to visit the MK as well, I think not. the MK is just to popular. So I guess im curious to why is the MK getting a new parade now? By the way I love the pic and think it will be a great parade.

Edit: I think I found my answer. So the New parade is to bring a celebration of the new Fantasyland to the MK. So is the new Parade being used to advertise the completion of the new Fantasyland expansion and bring more excitement to its completion?

mm52200

Do we know why this new parade was given the go ahead now? What is it purpose for increasing revenue? The MK is always so crowded already will the parade increase attendance much? We have had old substandard Parades for so many years now in WDW compared to other parks I'm just wondering why now? Next summer a large amount of guests will be visiting Orlando to see Potter 2.0 does WDW really need a new parade to get people to visit the MK as well, I think not. the MK is just to popular. So I guess im curious to why is the MK getting a new parade now? By the way I love the pic and think it will be a great parade.

Edit: I think I found my answer. So the New parade is to bring a celebration of the new Fantasyland to the MK. So is the new Parade being used to advertise the completion of the new Fantasyland expansion and bring more excitement to its completion?
They're just adding it because frankly Magic Kingdom is way overdue for a new parade. To be honest there never really needs to be a reason to ever justify adding something, especially entertainment. Parades, shows, and events of the like should regularly be updated or replaced just because Disney can, or atleast should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom