Fess up...what are some of your traditions in planning?

Boardwalk!

Ok for me :hammer: nobody laugh!!! :zipit:

When I know that I am going to Disney I watch all my Disney movies (which is ALL I assure you :lol: 85 total :rolleyes: ) in the order they were released :dazzle:

And I read three guidebooks....Unofficial Guide, Birnbaum's, and Passporter :)

OK NOW TELL!! (otherwise I'll edit this :lol: )

If I used one tenth of the time, effort, organization and attention to detail on anything that I use for Disney trips, I could have been Martha Stewart! (okay, bad example :lol: )

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by Texas84
I work up an Excel spreadsheet with daily park hours, events and early openings to plan the week. It also has my budget for the trip.

Oh, THIS sounds familiar! I create the excel spreadsheet with the budget, then sync the spreadsheet into my PalmPilot and keep it with me in my pack. That way I track all of my expenses and always know how much money I've got left as I'm touring. Later, I sync the spreadsheet back to my PC and use the expense tracking to work out average prices for meals, drinks, souvenirs, etc. Then i use all my previous trip budgets to create the new one when a new trip is coming up.

No, I'm not obsessive compulsive, why do you ask? :lol:

Upvote 0

debbiedoo

For us,

I don't fret over the planning thing, just get in the car and go!! I would rather fo with the flow then hae a family frustrated family on my hands with time schedules. As for the weather thing the same concept!!

Definitely get the Birnbaums book no matter how many times I have been there!!(I use to live in FL)

The only thing that I have done different for my June trip is that I have a PS seating for Chef Mickey's.

:animwink: :sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

DCL

Definitely get the Birnbaums book no matter how many times I have been there!!(I use to live in FL)

I went last night and picked up my copy of the 04' version... even though it's basically the same book year after year, I always manage to pick one up every year I go down.... somehow we managed to get 2 copies of the book in 96'.... and another 2 from 97' :lol:

Upvote 0

Syrinxx

I make a calendar wich includes our stay with 2 days on either end and plot out the drive, check ins/outs, definite things like priority seatings and late park closings ect.
Usualy i add in the "likely" park for each day and whatnot

Upvote 0

dae_woods

For some reason, to me the Birnbaums is a wonderful book but does not have what it takes to be as efficient as possible in the parks. That is where the unofficial guide comes in!!! I love it. I will take it over Birnbaum's any day.:hammer:

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by dae_woods
For some reason, to me the Birnbaums is a wonderful book but does not have what it takes to be as efficient as possible in the parks. That is where the unofficial guide comes in!!! I love it. I will take it over Birnbaum's any day.:hammer:
I believe that Birnbaum's is sponsored by Disney, whereas Unofficial tells it like it is.

Upvote 0

wdwmom2+1

I normally write out a budget figure out all dining reservations days at the park etc. then i make a packing/shopping list and i start packing about 2 weeks before. only about 24 days to go :) yea

Upvote 0

swimmom

As soon as we get home from a trip to WDW we are already planning when our next trip will be. About a few months later, I start checking various websites and reading the Unoffical Guide & Birnbaum. We make must see lists, but not schedules for each day, with the exception of things that we have to make reservations i.e. Illumination Cruise, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party & Priority Seating. About once a month we look over our lists at breakfast on a Sunday morning. We also get the newest planning video and watch it.

Upvote 0

ike1314

What we do.....

Every Sunday night we have disney night and watch our old home videos over the years and watch the planning video....

1987- Off site....
1993- Off Site....
1998- Carribean Beach
1999- Old Key West
2002- All Star Movies
June 13th 2004 - Carribean Beach

Upvote 0

marynorth

I'm surprised no one else does this. We make a paper chain (with links in alternating colors of contruction paper). Since I planned our 9/2004 trip a year out, I started out with twelve links, and at the end of each month, my daughter tears a link off. We only have 4 more links on the "month" chain. But when we get to 30 days out, we'll make a new "day" chain. It really helps build the anticipation and for little ones it makes the concept of time more concrete if they can see how long the chain is.

Upvote 0

Pippa

Originally posted by Senderella
:lol: So ya know what I mean by your special Disney Scent!! Go check out those pages I listed. They've got some AMAZING AMAZING scents. VERY unique!! Gonna have a hard time choosing just one!! (BTW, if you want a cucumber/melon candle -or any kind- I make custom candles. I've got a cucumber/melon in stock right now! Green gel in a cute oval shaped glass container).. Ok no more shameless pops for my company :lol: :lol:

For some unknown reason I have to take Palmolive Almond Shower Gel with me, I can't even remember how that one started!

Upvote 0

awallaceunc

I first of all map out a rough guide for budgets and dining plans, and start on priority seating. Once park hours, E-ride nights, attraction closures, and Extra Magic Hours are announced, I go back in and start filling in the schedule... and I schedule DOWN TO THE MINUTE :lol:. It can be a bit nerve-wracking for my family, but it's for the best in the end. Here's an example of how that might look:
9:07 - Great Movie Ride
9:37 - Quickly browse AFI showcase and street
9:40 - Star Tours (Fast Pass only if wait exceeds 30 minutes- unlikely)
10:05 - Sounds Dangerous Starring Drew Carey
10:47 - Jim Henson’s Muppet Vision 3D

Then I obsess over it and watch Disney movies/listen to Disney music until the trip comes. (Who am I kidding- it lasts long after the trip. :p)

-Aaron

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

I guess I am one of the over-planners:lol:
1. I get the current Birnbaum's - I gave up on the Unofficial for its unrelentingly negative tone. Hey, I've been there enough that I know about the stroller Nazis- don't keep harping on it while ignoring WDW's good points. And frankly, I completely disagree with their unrelentingly negative food comments - where do these people eat? - there are many fine places to eat at WDW, some superb!
2. Get the best rates - wait for the Dream Maker/whatever packages
3. I use a Word document rather than an Excel spreadsheet to lay out park hours, PS's, what have you
4. I make my PS bookings
5. I sit back and wonder why it isn't happening quicker!

Upvote 0

awallaceunc

Yeah, I'm a rates hound myself, checking up on them daily. I get the Unofficial Guide every year, and read it cover-to-cover every year. That's something I left out. I think that if you realize that they are being a tad too critical for a reason, then it gives you the proper perspective to really put this highly informative book to good use! :)

-Aaron

Upvote 0

Laura

I get pretty obsessive. Based on recommendations from books and the internet I write out the IDEAL itinerary, including what order to do each ride in each park and what times to eat all my meals.

Then I call and make my hotel reservations.

Then I call the WDW-DINE and spend a good hour on the phone because I always have TONS of reservations to make. I'm addicted to the sit down meals in Disney, so we usually need 2-3 priority seatings per day that we'll be there.

Then I spend the next few months trying to learn inside information about the parks so I can fine tune my iteneraries.

I've never ordered the planning video. Is it any good?

Upvote 0

awallaceunc

They are excellent. For one, the clips of park footage is always enjoyable to watch. The DVD also comes with an interactive 3D map of all of WDW, attraction previews, hotel room layouts, pictures, etc, and other cool stuff. Best of all, it's free. I have the "Where Magic Lives" and "Magical Gatherings" DVDs.

-Aaron

Upvote 0

Nineinchnailsmk

I LOVE THE PLANNING VIDEOS (DVDS).

The newest DVD is amazing. Like said before, it has a 3d map of everything including a demonstration of PAL MICKEY (i made my sister buy me one when she went for new years this year).

We order one (DVD) every year regardless of whether or not we go...

I always buy as many books as i can from fodors etc.

A really good book is WALT DISNEY WORLD FOR COUPLES

I am also a fan of the Passporter book to WDW.

When I plan, i usually go to a few different websites to check prices and whatnot, but i always call the disney number and book through them because they are awesome. The last guy i talked to...ludwig...was very helpful and gave me basically everything i asked for.

There are a couple of websites as well that i check for tips on videotaping our trip. This one guy gives info on how to videotape the rides etc...

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ridge/3917/tapwdw.html

it might be a little out dated, but its well worth the look

We then check the times when they are posted to see when the fireworks are and e-ride nights (i hope they have a couple in sept..) After checking times we book dinner reservations.

Can't wait till sept 23rd. HONEYMOON in DISNEY

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom