FEBRUARY Never Again!!!!!!!!!

ninjaprincesst

Seriously crowd levels of 6 out of 10 are not that bad, and if no one came to Disney World there would be no Disney World. We go at thanksgiving and it's not that bad and that is a much busier week. Also, just because you as a school counselor are out of school does not mean those are convenient times for everyone, most people are trying to work around school and 2 or three jobs as to when they can go.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There's no such thing as slow times anymore. As a pass holder that's gone so often the past year, I can tell you that 'slow times' have become a thing of the past. I can't remember the last time I went to the Magic Kingdom and didn't see it packed.

A breakfast ADR before opening is the only time I can think of...

Rebel_

Time of year and size of crowds do not control whether your family has a good time...your personal attitude controls this. In the past couple of years, we have been to WDW in January, March, July, September, October, and November. We have gone in September and had low crowds but hot and humid...we still had a good time. In July, we had wall-to-wall people and hot, humid conditions with a 2 year old and 3.5 year old...we still had a blast. It's all in what you make of it.
What if you're not having fun because you are doing far fewer attractions than you did at the same the year before, or the year before that? Some of the onus falls on the guest, but access to attractions plays a giant part.

Yes. Attitude counts for something. But the best attitude in the world won't get me what a throwaway room, pre-open ADRs, and a second set of bands will get me.

thomas998

I appreciate that you are looking for a place to vent... but calling all school age kids brats, come on :rolleyes: As a middle school counselor you may be in the wrong line of work.
Probably a result of the time on the job. I've used to hate flying on international flights on a US carrier because their union seniority rules pretty much handed the international flight to the oldest and most senior stewardesses because a single flight of 8 hours would net them a lot less work than several 1-2 hour flights... but the net result was you had people that had grown tired of their job and looked at all of customers as a nuisance.... Probably what happens when you work as a counselor in a middle school too many years... That type of job may be like that of stewardess where it would probably be best for all parties involved if the job was only temporary and ended before the burnout set in.

mousehockey37

Sorry, not sorry.

I love how this Katiebug said she planned this trip, but failed to see that there was the Princess 1/2, Mardi Gras and to some extent, the Daytona 500 all around her trip. Also factor in that there are still more than likely SA tour groups around and yeah, you got some busy parks.

We were there at the end of last month with the NFL Pro Bowl crowds. We were hit with higher crowds than we expected, but we made the most of it.

I absolutely lost it when she got to the part in her post though about "how much they paid"... I was actually waiting for it, then it happened! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Sorry, not sorry.

I love how this Katiebug said she planned this trip, but failed to see that there was the Princess 1/2, Mardi Gras and to some extent, the Daytona 500 all around her trip. Also factor in that there are still more than likely SA tour groups around and yeah, you got some busy parks.

We were there at the end of last month with the NFL Pro Bowl crowds. We were hit with higher crowds than we expected, but we made the most of it.

I absolutely lost it when she got to the part in her post though about "how much they paid"... I was actually waiting for it, then it happened! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

We just need to level set everyone's expectations before they go to the parks. For example, my expectations are as follows.

lY3HqIg.jpg

If everyone would just set their expectations lower and stop expecting to get anything more than to be allowed the honor of getting through the gate, people would have a lot more fun at Walt Disney World.

PrincessL

Probably a result of the time on the job. I've used to hate flying on international flights on a US carrier because their union seniority rules pretty much handed the international flight to the oldest and most senior stewardesses because a single flight of 8 hours would net them a lot less work than several 1-2 hour flights... but the net result was you had people that had grown tired of their job and looked at all of customers as a nuisance.... Probably what happens when you work as a counselor in a middle school too many years... That type of job may be like that of stewardess where it would probably be best for all parties involved if the job was only temporary and ended before the burnout set in.
Agreed. I have much respect for our public educators. However, if a break is needed from being an educator (kids in general) Disney would not be the place to take said break;)

mousehockey37

We just need to level set everyone's expectations before they go to the parks. For example, my expectations are as follows.

lY3HqIg.jpg

If everyone would just set their expectations low enough and stop expecting to get anything more than to be allowed the honor of getting through the gate, people would have a lot more fun at Walt Disney World.

BUT THEY SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO GO!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

This is a case where throwing tons of money at a problem doesn't make it go away.

Sadly, there's still those people that are stuck in a time warp that it's February and in February no one visits. They don't look to see what events are happening in the area or at the parks and then get "blindsided" by this when they show up to a packed house. Judging by where the OP is from, knowing that area is outside of the Baltimore/DC area, I fully would expect this reaction. To anyone else from that area, I'm sorry the OP is not making you guys look good right now.

jwutony16

Thank you for your kind words and yes we didn't know about the marathon until we got here. Nobody's fault for that one. The mardi gras thing does not affect us, as the school system I work at is in the Rockville Maryland area, and we only got last Monday February 20 off as a holiday. It was all just a frustrating surprise for us all that nobody was expecting or felt that we deserved given the time of year we decided to travel. We will try to make the most of our last day and a half here.

Im from Poolesville but grew up in Boston, they have winter break so thats why there are large crowds

mouse_luv

Really I think the best times to go are right after Thanksgiving, and right after Labor day when all the schools in the country have just started back up. But I was there in October 2015 and it was easy, the only thing we had to wait for longer than 25 minutes was Mine Train which was fine by me because that queue is awesome. Heck we rode Everest 6 times in about a half hour on our AK day. You just have to pick the right time to go nowadays.
Shhh...don't tell everyone! :cool: Except now right after Labor Day will become null because of the extension of Food and Wine Fest.

Blame it on sites like this one that publicize the "slow times" for their readers. Then everybody goes during those "slow times," making them "crowded" and leaving a gap when everyone else would have gone.

Then someone discovers that gap, posts about how slow it was during that visit, and the cycle begins anew.

There actually IS a good time to go, but there's no way I'm going to mention it here... ;)

THIS!!

As far as the OP is concerned. DBF and I would have gladly traded you for late Jan. If it's correct that your crowds this week were 6 of 10 I would have taken those and you could've dealt with the 8 of 10 crowds we had in late Jan with Pro Bowl week. Just sayin. :hilarious:

Patcheslee

lY3HqIg.jpg

If everyone would just set their expectations lower and stop expecting to get anything more than to be allowed the honor of getting through the gate, people would have a lot more fun at Walt Disney World.
Lol, man that hurts to see. But at the same time I'm just glad we can go at all. If the money is that of a big deal should have spent more time knowing what you're walking into. Expectations: I don't get calls from work, DD8 has some good memories, and DH and I get a date night to make up for skipping a honeymoon. Can't really go wrong when you just enjoy what you can do.

Figments Friend

The end of February is not a 'good' time to go.

Everyone and their grandmother in the entire Northeastern part of the U.S. decends upon Florida like a horde of locusts for the week long 'Winter School Break' ( 'Presidents Week' ) and many stay into the following week.
This is a big deal in MA, NY, and NJ in particular.
Everyone uses this school break week to escape the cold temps and snowy environment to head South.
This has been going on for ages....and that week should be avoided like the plague when even remotely thinking about the idea of visiting WDW at this time of year.

Combine that with the typical winter marathon weekend...and...yeah, you get the picture.
Insane crowds, long lines ( even just to get into the parking lot ), and likely a less 'Magical' experience.

I warn everyone - stay away from Orlando in February....don't even think about it unless it's much earlier in the month!
Your sanity will thank you later.

-

Figments Friend

I see your endgame here... :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious: Tell everyone to stay away, so that when they stay away you have your reservations made.... I'm onto you... :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious: LOL.. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Heh heh heh....!
;)

Actually, I don't visit WDW anymore so you can have my reservation spots.
I spend my time out in California now, in a beautiful stress free Park called 'Disneyland'.
It's terrific.
I don't have to 'reserve' any Attractions or Dining options in advance, and I can decide on a whim at any given moment what I feel like doing next and just walk over and do it immediately.
Love it!

Such a nice way to spend a vacation.
Oh, and the weather is perfect.
No humidity or rainstorms.
Just perfect 70 to 85 degree weather most of the time.

I highly recommend a visit to Disneyland if one has yet to have visited.
It just might change your mind about WDW and how it is currently operated.
:)

-

mousehockey37

Heh heh heh....!
;)

Actually, I don't visit WDW anymore so you can have my reservation spots.
I spend my time out in California now, in a beautiful stress free Park called 'Disneyland'.
It's terrific.
I don't have to 'reserve' any Attractions or Dining options in advance, and I can decide on a whim at any given moment what I feel like doing next and just walk over and do it immediately.
Love it!

Such a nice way to spend a vacation.
Oh, and weather is perfect.
No humidity or rainstorms.
Just perfect 70 to 85 degree weather most of the time.

I highly recommend a visit to Disneyland if one has yet to have visited.
It just might change your mind about WDW and how it is operated.
:)

-

Apparently Disneyland has been rather crazy the past few days as well from other threads I've been seeing in places.

brb1006

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH DISNEY THIS WEEK? My husband, myself and our three DD's are here at what was SUPPOSED TO BE the happiest place on earth. We arrived Tuesday 2/21 and stay thru this Wednesday 3/01. THE CROWDS ARE INSANE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! Kids everywhere lines have been TERRIBLE!!! It feels like something out of a bad dream that you think will be over the next day........but NOOOOOOO!. Since when did schools start having Spring Break in FEBRUARY??? This is FEBRUARY!!!!! We took this vacation at the spur of the moment knowing we would be arriving during a SLOW time of year, if this is even a thing any more??? Do people not let their precious little angels go to school any more? Oh of course not, they have to crowd up the parks in the middle of WINTER! I am sorry to sound this upset but we were not expecting the crowds we have encountered so far during the dead of winter season. I understand why February 20 would be busy as it is a holiday. I can understand why the weekend days before would be busy, as those attach on to a 3 day weekend for many schools. So guess what? We avoided those days because of that. But the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday AFTER????? THIS IS NOT SPRING BREAK YET. We planned on purpose to arrive AFTER the holiday weekend so we could actually, you know, ENJOY THE PARKS WITHOUT IT FEELING LIKE SUMMER OR NEW YEAR. Well you can guess how this has paid us back so far. I will tell you never again. Never EVER again. I am beyond PO'd. Even our DD's are over it. No we are not wanting to cut the trip short or anything but would be nice if people would get their brats back in SCHOOL WHEN IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SPRING BREAK YET SO MAYBE THOSE OF US WHO AVOID RUSH TIMES CAN ENJOY THE PARKS WE PAY OVER 100.00 A DAY FOR WITHOUT BEING BUMPED PUSHED AND HAVING TO WAIT BEHIND EVERY OTHER FAMILY IN THE USA. Is that too much to ask? To take a vacation in FEBRUARY and actually it feel like February? We also knew that by going now we would avoid the opening of Avatar and have most of DHS under construction. Guess what? PACKED! Parks are packed. What are people flooding into DHS to look at? Construction walls???? It was a mess and a zoo there yet people packed in like sardines like their life depended on it this week. GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LET THOSE OF US WHO FOR YEARS TREASURED A LITTLE OFF SEASON HAVE IT BACK AGAIN! You can clog up the parks during the summer or spring break or winter holidays. I work as a middle school counselor so I KNOW those are times to avoid when everyone is free to travel. So what do we do? We stay HOME during those times, and plan accordingly when we KNOW or thought we knew the parks would be slow. I am sitting here in our POP room at 3 in the morning just shaking thinking about how everything we thought this week would be has backfired on us. Shorter lines in middle of February? WRONG! Not having to feel like you're walking through Manhattan just to find a seat at quick service? WRONG! Will be visiting the parks again in the month of February? WRONG!!! Thank you for a lovely week but no thanks. This woman is ready for some peace and quiet after this is all said and done. A tip to all you wanting to go this time of year........... BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!
First of "The Most Magical Place On Earth" is Disneyland's tagline

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom