February 3-6 2011 Trip

jduran

So in about 20 days I'll be at WDW, but there has been some rain on my parade when I found out that National Dance Team Championship (http://uda.varsity.com/nationals.aspx) is happening the exact same weekend. UGGGH! I'm staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and I know the high schoolers attending will be dorming at Caribbean Beach and the All-Star resorts. But how bad is this going to be? After reading some of the Pop Warner complaints, this has me worried.

Has anyone else been there in the past while this is going on? Is there any spill-over at the other moderate resorts?

I've been there in the summer with all the tour groups from Brazil (they are annoying, yes, but tolerable), so if there are like them, I'm sure I'll be annoyed but fine. I just remember being a high schooler (10 years ago) and putting them in an unsupervised situation (come on, let's face it, they aren't going to be watched 24/7) you are just asking for chaos.

mousebymarriage

We were in Disney last Feb (6th-13th) and we stayed at Pop, it was also during the cheerleading/dance competition. I know there were cheerleaders/dancers staying at our resort because I saw them in the food court and on the busses but, honestly we never heard a sound from them while in our room. It was pretty chilly the week we were there so no one really used the pool the entire week so I can't say how loud the evenings would have been if it werent so cold, honestly the resort was basically deserted except for the food court and gift shop area...no one hanging out outside.

I have to say that even in the parks the cheerleaders/dancers were very well behaved. no issues with line cutting, running around etc., a good group of kids.

There was also a tour group of teenage girls from Argentina (I know this because of the matching backpacks they carried and the flags that the chaperones carried). This group of girls was also extremely well behaved, again no line cutting, running around or chanting. These girls appeared to stay in groups with chaperones at all times and the chaperones kept a close watch on them.

Upvote 0

adambrady

We too are going to be there at this time. I went over to the web site and looked at the event schedule. Looks like there is some competition happening on the 5th at Hollywood Studios at the Indiana Jones location. That could make this a park to avoid on that day for sure. Does this sound right? Maybe I read this wrong.

Upvote 0

Gomer

I was there back in 2009 during the dance competition and I'm going again this year. Obviously it didn't bother me enough to cause me to change when I travel.

I honestly hardly noticed them at all. They seemed to travel in small packs and not clog anything up. There were never any incidents with any rude or loud kids that I noticed.

One night at DHS they seemed to be having an awards ceremony or something. About a hundred 15 year old girls running around like crazy in formal wear. That was a bit bizarre, but it didn't negatively affect my night at DHS in any way.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Every season has some group that is taking over the parks. This specific one didn't seem to have much of an impact on my parks experience.

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I too, have been this time of year before when they were there. The only time I really noticed them is in the food court at the resort (we were staying at AS Sports). They weren't obnoxious or rude. Of course they were teenage girls, so they were giggly and happy, but there was nothing wrong with that. Overall, aside from the uniforms, I wouldn't have really known they were there for competition. They were all well behaved and as I mentioned, aside from the food court, I never noticed them. We'll be down in a couple of weeks as well, though we're leaving on the 5th.

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

We too are going to be there at this time. I went over to the web site and looked at the event schedule. Looks like there is some competition happening on the 5th at Hollywood Studios at the Indiana Jones location. That could make this a park to avoid on that day for sure. Does this sound right? Maybe I read this wrong.
If I remember correctly, there was some kind of a competiton or something at DHS one or two of the days we were in Disney but, the only ride/show it impacted was Indiana Jones because the competition took place on that stage so the show was closed for the day.

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

I too, have been this time of year before when they were there. The only time I really noticed them is in the food court at the resort (we were staying at AS Sports). They weren't obnoxious or rude. Of course they were teenage girls, so they were giggly and happy, but there was nothing wrong with that. Overall, aside from the uniforms, I wouldn't have really known they were there for competition. They were all well behaved and as I mentioned, aside from the food court, I never noticed them. We'll be down in a couple of weeks as well, though we're leaving on the 5th.
The groups I have seen have behaved as well as any others. If they(or anyone else) begins to aggravate you, WDW is a huge place...just steer clear.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom