If You Had Wings
Penny Arcade
Streets of America
Mickey's Birthdayland

John park hopper

I have to say there are a bunch
Alien
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Universe of Energy ( original dinasour tour)
Mr Toads Wild Ride
River country
20,000 leagues (had my 2 small sons convinced they were truly way underwater)
Sometimes I think there should be a Disney park for old rides

geekza

If You Had Wings - As a kid who went in the 70's, it was the coolest. Great speed tunnel and a song that burrowed into your brain.
World of Motion - I never got to ride it, sadly, as we didn't get to see everything back in 1983 when we went to EPCOT Center and I just love dark rides. (The lines were crazy for everything, as I'm sure you can imagine.)
Horizons - I miss Future World being about the possibilities of man's future.

Bender123

If You Had Wings - As a kid who went in the 70's, it was the coolest. Great speed tunnel and a song that burrowed into your brain.
World of Motion - I never got to ride it, sadly, as we didn't get to see everything back in 1983 when we went to EPCOT Center and I just love dark rides. (The lines were crazy for everything, as I'm sure you can imagine.)
Horizons - I miss Future World being about the possibilities of man's future.

Loved Motion, but, even though I am completely nostalgic for Horizons and loved it, it really would be awful today...Imagine the end scene of CoPx100 levels of out of date future cheese. It would still be a fantastic ride until after the IMAX screens and then it would need to be completely gutted and redone every few years to make it not laughably awful, which would be insanely cost restrictive and insane with the heavy emphasis on AA figures and elaborate sets.

BTW, Progress is still my favorite, but my gorsh, that ending scene gets more and more cringe every year. Between the old as dirt HDTV, the awful video game, the laptop from the 90s and the future voice activation system that is now just commonplace, the future looks like 10 years ago if 10 years ago was 20 years ago.

Goofyernmost

I have to say there are a bunch
Alien
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Universe of Energy ( original dinasour tour)
Mr Toads Wild Ride
River country
20,000 leagues (had my 2 small sons convinced they were truly way underwater)
Sometimes I think there should be a Disney park for old rides
Somebody help me out here. I have been riding UoE since it opened, except for a couple of Dino's that were removed it seems the same as it was back then. Am I forgetting something?

My middle aged wife, holder of two masters degrees, thought we were truly way underwater in 20K. It took a ride on the Skyway for her to see the they didn't actually submerge.

Never went to River country, was overwhelmingly unimpressed by Toad (from the first time I saw it all I could think of were those back of trailer truck fun houses in roadside carnivals.) Alien was cool, never thought it was scary though. And always enjoyed Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I think that is what you mean unless you are talking about the DHS playground, in which case, never went inside it.

Goofyernmost

Loved Motion, but, even though I am completely nostalgic for Horizons and loved it, it really would be awful today...Imagine the end scene of CoPx100 levels of out of date future cheese. It would still be a fantastic ride until after the IMAX screens and then it would need to be completely gutted and redone every few years to make it not laughably awful, which would be insanely cost restrictive and insane with the heavy emphasis on AA figures and elaborate sets.

BTW, Progress is still my favorite, but my gorsh, that ending scene gets more and more cringe every year. Between the old as dirt HDTV, the awful video game, the laptop from the 90s and the future voice activation system that is now just commonplace, the future looks like 10 years ago if 10 years ago was 20 years ago.
Curious, what part of the future depictions in Horizons have actually happened to this point. It can't be outdated if it hasn't happened yet can it?

BrianB24

Definitely World of Motion. When I used to go with my parents and brother, we'd visit Epcot first, and that would be the first ride we'd go on.

Also:

The Timekeeper
Maelstrom
Delta Dreamflight
River Country
Horizons

Bender123

Curious, what part of the future depictions in Horizons have actually happened to this point. It can't be outdated if it hasn't happened yet can it?

It wasn't that it hasn't happened yet, its that when it does happen, it wont look like the 1970s in space. Don't get me wrong, I would give anything to have that ride back, but, wow...watching the videos just look corny. Maybe its just me being a cynical old guy, but I had my daughters watch it and they laughed at the "future" and how "lame" it looked.

When your vision of the future makes people laugh, its likely not the reaction you want when your goal is wonder and inspiration.

I now I don't have a popular opinion, but I don't see how that ride could remain viable in the long term, even if I desperately loved it.

Goofyernmost

It wasn't that it hasn't happened yet, its that when it does happen, it wont look like the 1970s in space. Don't get me wrong, I would give anything to have that ride back, but, wow...watching the videos just look corny. Maybe its just me being a cynical old guy, but I had my daughters watch it and they laughed at the "future" and how "lame" it looked.

When your vision of the future makes people laugh, its likely not the reaction you want when your goal is wonder and inspiration.

I now I don't have a popular opinion, but I don't see how that ride could remain viable in the long term, even if I desperately loved it.
I guess it is hard to see the future in a really serious tone no matter what it looks like. It always seems to look silly because we cannot imagine it. I'm not sure how we know that the future won't look like that, since it hasn't happened yet. What would constitute the future, future!

graphite1326

It's kinda like watching the original Star Trek series now.

graphite1326

I have to admit that it won't take me long to forget AE or Maelstrom, but, I did really like The Timekeeper. However, in light of Robin Williams death, it's probably a good thing that it no longer exists except on You Tube.
I always liked the attraction but every time we went in there were very few people there.

raven

Horizons, hands down.

While riding on the attraction you felt as if you had the entire place to yourself (due to the design) and since it was a constantly moving attraction there never seemed to be a wait. It was the epitome of the original Epcot Center in a single attraction and, although it was dated, seemed to hold onto a very large following by guests. I'd love to see the original Horizons return some day.

Simba's Mom

Glad to see someone else misses Timekeeper. Robin Williams and Rhea Perlman were so hysterical together. The only other attraction I really miss is the Skyway. What I really miss is restaurants/meals that are no longer, so I guess that means we all know my real motivation for going to WDW-the food! I miss CRT for lunch, before it became a character meal, I miss Boatright's breakfast, especially the sweet potato pancakes, I miss the sit down restaurant at POFQ, I miss Enchanted Grove's Strawberry Swirl, and I miss Pizzafari's Hot Deli Sandwich.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom