FastPass+ Winners and Losers

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
WDW’s fundamental weakness is that 3 of its 4 theme parks don’t have enough desirable attractions to keep guests visiting WDW for longer stays. Rather than solve that problem by adding attractions, corporate Disney has decided to use FastPass+ (FP+) to reallocate existing resources to concentrate on its high-value guests. What’s a high-value guest? Anyone who is staying onsite, particularly those in Deluxe Resorts.

FP+ neither adds nor subtracts ride capacity. It’s a zero-sum game. FP+ is about redistributing wait times from Disney’s low-value to its high-value guests. It’s designed to encourage guests to stay onsite, and encourage those already onsite to stay longer. Corporate is counting on these factors to more than offset the low-value customers that it will lose with FP+.

FP+ will have winners and losers.

FP+ Winners
  • Those staying onsite – Disney wants you. Well, they really want your money but know they have to make you happy to get your money. A theme park view room at the Grand Floridian this Christmas is $1026/night, the first time a non-suite, non-concierge level room has broken the magical $1000/night barrier. Less than 2 months to go and plenty of availability. Won’t you please, please, please book it?
  • Those who sleep in – No need to be at rope drop anymore. Relax, slow down, and enjoy your morning. After all, it’s a vacation!
  • Those unfamiliar with FP – WDW is a big, intimidating place for the inexperienced. Disney will help you plan your day and guarantee you short waits for 3 attractions each day.
  • Those who enjoy planning – MyMagic+ (MM+) is a planner’s dream, a great way to map out your entire vacation.
FP+ Losers
  • Those staying offsite – Sorry but WDW simply doesn’t have enough ride capacity to make everyone happy. With limited E ticket capacity at 3 theme parks, Disney’s got to figure out a way to keep those spending $1000/night to stay at the Grand Floridian happy. When it comes to FP+, onsite guests will have a booking advantage. Most offsite guests will be left with scraps at Epcot, DHS, and DAK. If you don’t like it, just stay onsite. Disney will welcome you (and your money) with open arms. They've got thousands of empty rooms just waiting for you!
  • Those who arrive for rope drop – Are you a morning person? Bummer. Unlike FP, FP+ return times will begin right from opening. Expect to watch those in the FP+ line walk right past you from the get-go.
  • Those who use FP – Do you enjoy collecting FP tickets? Are you really good at it? Do you likes those days when you ride multiple attractions using FP? Sorry, those days are over. It’s 3 and only 3, no matter how good you are at the FP game. And not even 3 good ones. Sure, you might get Test Track. But you might be stuck with Captain EO and Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment as well.
  • Those who like spontaneity – Do you enjoy waking up in the morning and asking yourself, “Where do I feel like going today?” Wow, you are really out-of-luck. Corporate views this as very bad behavior. They can’t schedule resources around you and, worst of all; you might actually spend the day offsite! That just won’t do. Learn to plan, plan, plan every day of your vacation. You’ll get 3 FP+ per day if you do! What’s Universal offering you? Really exciting and new attractions. So what, we’re Disney. We’re magical!
Neutral
  • Those who park hop – If you’re staying onsite, FP+ will allow you to make desirable FP+ selections for later in the day, freeing you to visit other parks in the morning. No need to be at DHS or Epcot first thing in the morning for TSM or Soarin’. Disney has solved that problem. Of course, with FP+ being added to numerous attractions and FP+ return times starting immediately at rope drop, it means you’re going to spend more time in other lines than you did in the past.
  • Those who change their plans – FP+ won’t be much different than ADRs. You’re going to have to plan in advance if you want the good FP+ selections. FP+ offers some flexibility but, let’s be real, if you can’t make your 10 AM TSM FP+ and want to rebook it for 4 PM, availability will be limited. The system should allow for some flexibility but Disney is banking on the overwhelming majority of guests not changing their FP+ selections. It’s a matter of probability & statistics, and it will be interesting to watch how this plays out. A few changing their plans; no problem. A lot changing their plans; big problem.
Unknown
  • Local Annual Pass Holders – Disney doesn’t want to alienate you. They want to do the best they can for you because you represent multiple visits and multiple revenue opportunities. Unfortunately, you tend to spend less per day than other guests. Sorry, but it’s not like you’re booking Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Cinderella’s Royal Table every visit. You're definitely not spending $1000/night at the Grand Floridian. Resources are finite and Disney would prefer more onsite guests but, right now, they need you. For Disney, it’s a balancing act. If FP+ is a big success and occupancy rates skyrocket, you could become the first casualty of FP+'s success.
Don’t use today’s experiences to judge FP+ one way or the other. Technical problems will be fixed eventually. Conversely, many more will compete for FP+ resources eventually. Current results only hint at what FP+ will be like in the not-too-distant future.

With FP+, there will be winners and there will be losers.

Of course, we all could have been winners if Disney simply used MM+’s $2B+ budget to create really exciting attractions at their theme parks.

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

No offense intended but let's be honest... this thread is sort of bate for trouble right? I mean this topic has kind of been discussed at length in the myriad of other MM+ threads and it's very two sided. Some folks are going to agree with you and others are going to disagree so strongly that it's going to turn into name calling and opinion bashing.

Me personally, I disagree with a lot of what you've said and the rest I've seen no proof of or really any sort of information to sway me either way. Like for example the "fact" that Disney is somehow doing more in this for Deluxe resort guests over others. I've seen nothing really that gives me that impression though honestly I'm also not sure that I care either way. Seems like those staying at Value resorts or Moderate have had the same times open to them for FP+ selections that anyone else has and Deluxe guests are limited to 3 a day just like they are. I had literally every hour from open to close with very few exceptions open for me and I'm staying at a Moderate.

I keep getting so confused on the spontaneity thing. If you don't want to decide what attractions you want to do each day in advance, don't make FP+ reservations. Sure it means you'll be in standby but you'll be able to spontaneously chose which ones to get in. Plus... being that the system is limited to only 3 FP+ selections a day, all in one-hour arrival increments for the most part, and you consider the parks are open let's say an average of 10+ hours a day, that's 7 hours you get to spend being spontaneous!

I will agree with one point you've made here and that is that really the limitation of all 3 FP+ selections having to be in the same park sort of flies in the face of the idea of offering a Park Hopper ticket to begin with but... I, being one of those "glass half full" kinda gals, like to think that's a testing limitation and that once they go full-live it may change.

Don't get me wrong... I am a huge fan of sharing opinions on this site and I am always intrigued when someone puts as much work and passion into a post such as yours but it just seems to me that the same points have been made and debated over and over again in existing threads and posting a new one won't change how each side argues their point. :)

MOUSEGIRL

I am staying in a deluxe resort and I still only get 3 FP+ a day the same as everybody else. I choose to stay in a deluxe because I don't want to be on a bus for an hour or more to get to MK. I wish I was also getting more perks with FP+ because I am staying at a deluxe and spending more but that's not the case. I think it Disney has the right to let the planners to get more they work harder to enjoy their vacation. We go to Disney at least once a year and this year twice:) I have never had a bad trip. I am sure Disney will make this work for all in the future but for right now in the testing phase you can deal with it or not go. Disney does not force anybody to come to their parks or stay in the resorts its your choice. I choose to be happy and go with the flow, we cant change the system so lets make lemon aide out of lemons.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am staying in a deluxe resort and I still only get 3 FP+ a day the same as everybody else. I choose to stay in a deluxe because I don't want to be on a bus for an hour or more to get to MK. I wish I was also getting more perks with FP+ because I am staying at a deluxe and spending more but that's not the case. I think it Disney has the right to let the planners to get more they work harder to enjoy their vacation. We go to Disney at least once a year and this year twice:) I have never had a bad trip. I am sure Disney will make this work for all in the future but for right now in the testing phase you can deal with it or not go. Disney does not force anybody to come to their parks or stay in the resorts its your choice. I choose to be happy and go with the flow, we cant change the system so lets make lemon aide out of lemons.

Can't no water or sugar - just an endless supply of lemons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom