FastPass: The Great Debate

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
I agree about FP being created to make more money, but I think it really works to my advantage! And how does it really slow the standby lines? If it didn't exist, wouldn't those lines end up being the same length in the end anyway?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I agree about FP being created to make more money, but I think it really works to my advantage! And how does it really slow the standby lines? If it didn't exist, wouldn't those lines end up being the same length in the end anyway?
My point exactly.

Imaginationeer

Fastpass is a great system, but some attractions need to remove it. Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Stitch, Jungle Cruise and Dinosaur should really remove the system because it makes longer waits for rides that shouldn't have them. Some rides that should add the system are The Laugh Floor, Great Movie Ride, and Finding Nemo the Musical.

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
I don't thnk GMR really lends itself to FP....but I agree with most of the other suggestions. I am not sure about the large capacity shows, either. Some things with really large capacity that move kinda quickly, you should really have to wait in the lines for.

mickeymouse2818

I think that FastPass is a great idea. As in mentioned in other posts, the system is there for those willing to use it. If you don't like it well don't use it, although they really help on those busier months. I believe that if you plan your time wisely the FP will help alot. For example, if you got a FP for Space Mt but your time is not for another 2 hrs you can wait in standby and go twice in a row (if the line is over 2 hrs) or you can go off and find other attractions to ride and then to come back and use your Space Mt FP. I believe that the point to the FP is to allow the guests to use their time more productively than waiting in what can seem as a neverending line.

EpcotServo

Because let's say we have a steady flow of Trains at Big Thunder coming down the line. Instead of loading 20 people from the standby line, they let 15 people from the Fastpass line on, and 5 from Standby. That way you have no Fastpass line, and a slower moving Standby line. Yea, the line would be there if Fastpass wasn't around, but the Standby line would move ALOT faster. That's the big problem with Fastpass. Where you'd have a long, fast-moving standby line without Fastpass, we have long slow-moving lines. That's why Fastpass is such a two-sided issue. If it was just Standby you'd be fine, but with Fastpass running, you need a Fastpass! For example, I was quite surprised the last time I waited in the Standby line for Test Track. It was around 9:30 in the morning, and there were no Fastpass windows returning to the ride yet. The line was full, yet it moved REALLY quick. We were on in maybe 15-20 minutes. Now I 've waited in that same length of line around mid-day (When there are lots of people returning with Fastpass.) and I waited nearly 30-40 minutes. Same length of time, very diffrent wait time. The reason is because instead of loading a whole pre-show room of standby, it is loaded 3/4th Fastpass with way fewer Standby. That's why Fastpass is great for Fastpass, but overall better with just Standby. That's why so may people here don't like Fastpass.

tomm4004

What about the argument (I've read) that if Disney ran the rides to capacity and built enough attractions there would be no need for FP? Instead of building more attractions (increased capital costs) or running the rides to capacity (increased operating costs) to handle increasing crowds, Disney installed (the overall cheaper) FP instead to appease guests complaining about long lines.

jcc0621

Fastpass is a great system, but some attractions need to remove it. Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Stitch, Jungle Cruise and Dinosaur should really remove the system because it makes longer waits for rides that shouldn't have them. Some rides that should add the system are The Laugh Floor, Great Movie Ride, and Finding Nemo the Musical.
I love that Pooh, PP, and JC have fast pass. Not to have to wait in those lines with a 4 year old is great

doop

Fastpass makes things a lot easier, especially when you're there during a really busy season, when waits for most rides are 60 minutes. No one likes to wait that long for EVERY attraction. I don't really see how it could do any harm.
EpcotServo said:
Because let's say we have a steady flow of Trains at Big Thunder coming down the line. Instead of loading 20 people from the standby line, they let 15 people from the Fastpass line on, and 5 from Standby. That way you have no Fastpass line, and a slower moving Standby line. Yea, the line would be there if Fastpass wasn't around, but the Standby line would move ALOT faster. That's the big problem with Fastpass. Where you'd have a long, fast-moving standby line without Fastpass, we have long slow-moving lines. That's why Fastpass is such a two-sided issue. If it was just Standby you'd be fine, but with Fastpass running, you need a Fastpass! For example, I was quite surprised the last time I waited in the Standby line for Test Track. It was around 9:30 in the morning, and there were no Fastpass windows returning to the ride yet. The line was full, yet it moved REALLY quick. We were on in maybe 15-20 minutes. Now I 've waited in that same length of line around mid-day (When there are lots of people returning with Fastpass.) and I waited nearly 30-40 minutes. Same length of time, very diffrent wait time. The reason is because instead of loading a whole pre-show room of standby, it is loaded 3/4th Fastpass with way fewer Standby. That's why Fastpass is great for Fastpass, but overall better with just Standby. That's why so may people here don't like Fastpass.
Edit: That makes a lot of sense, I didn't realize it was that lopsided in loading. I'm starting to think maybe fastpass isn't the best thing...

hcswingfield

I think it's a great idea. It allows us to enjoy more rides. I don't agree that it is just there to give people more time to shop. At AK, while waiting for our fast pass time slot, we explore one of the trails, or watch the trained bird show, or take pictures of the monkeys. And that's a lot more fun than just standing in line. We make similar use of our time in the other parks, using the extra time to enjoy attractions that are great, but might not be on our "A" list. And I don't agree it slows down the standby line. If we had not gotten the fast pass, we'd be in line, and anyone who got in line behind us would still have to wait. With fast pass, we get on the ride about the same time that we would have if we had stayed in line, the people behind us who chose to wait would get on the ride about the same time they would have if we had stayed in line, and we get to enjoy more of the park.

coltow

I love that Pooh, PP, and JC have fast pass. Not to have to wait in those lines with a 4 year old is great
I AGREE! If Peter Pan and Pooh didn't have them we probably woudn't really ride them. Those lines with all the little ones waiting can be pure torture. At least Small World loads more riders so the line moves quickly.

popsicletrees

I enjoy and take advantage of the use of Fastpass on most of the e-ticket attractions. However, I don't think most attractions at Disney need a fastpass. My only complaint about fastpass is that I don't think the time is staggered enough. Instead of giving out the fastpass in five or ten minute intervals, I think they should give it out in thirty minute intervals. For example, Soarin' having a fastpass from 10-11, then the next group of fastpasses for Soarin' would be from 10:30-11:30 instead of 10:05-11:05. This would only be in hopes of allowing the standby line to move faster because there wouldn't be as many fastpass tickets given out within an hour. Just a thought though.

nibblesandbits

darthjohnny said:
However, if the cast member is not doing their job right, they could be letting more fast pass people in and not letting enough stand-by people in, thus backing up the stand-by line and increasing the wait time.

I totally agree with this statement. I went a few years ago and we were in line for BTMR...even though there was no body in the FP line, the CM did not let any of the people waiting in the stand by line through. Then if she did let those standing in the stand-by line in, if she saw someone walking up the path (note...not at her yet...just coming up the path) she would stop the stand-by line again.

It was quite frustrating.

diddy_mouse

We don't use Fastpass too much but when we do it is because we know the wait for the attraction will be long the whole day. Case in point: Soarin. We spent 2 hrs. touring the Epcot resorts instead of waiting two hours in line (which was nice :D ) thanks to Fastpass.

Now, if a wait time is like 20 min. or even 30 min., I usually wait depending on the ride. Sometimes I don't mind the wait...especially if I never get to see the queue :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Generally, all of those people being let in ahead of you with FPs would just already be ahead of you in line, so your ultimate wait time would be the same. Rides load the same number of people regardless of whether there is one line or two.

This is an overly simplistic argument, there are numerous other factors such as people who grab FPs and then head to Stand-By and others that take FPs and never use them. But in reality, there is no way to determine whether lines would be faster or slower without load/wait data from hours of ride operations from every time of year and every crowd dynamic experienced at WDW both with the FP available and before. Even with all that data, it would be difficult to accurately determine the exact impact.

Everything else is anecdotal guesswork at best.

And my anecdote is the right one, dang it! :lol:

bob0012

There is no way to exactly know, but you can take some good guesses. It's rather obvious any system which allows people to be in mutiple lines at once will increase the total line length. The effect of FP is very obvious on rides like Buzz Lightyear. During the day with FP open the standby line is long, and moves very slowly. During EMH with no FP the line is just as long, but you fly through it.

bob0012

Yes they are, they're just making your line longer.

That's my point. I've been in a line a buzz for EMH that was twice as long as during the day, but got through it in half the time.

A lack of FP also acts as a load leveler. If your walking by space mountain and the line is 90 mins you may not get in line, but if FP is open you'll probebly grab one (basicly making the line one person longer).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom