FastPass+ restricted to 1 major attraction at Epcot

CTXRover

Original Poster
Restrictions on FP+ selections are now being tested at Epcot so you can only book one major attraction and two minor attractions. I looked at the app and it seems to be all dates in November, not just a few

As much as a enjoyed FP + with my recent trip, this change seems disappointing unless it can really reduce standby waits by spreading people out ( although that seems unlikely in my mind)

Last edited by a moderator:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Restrictions on FP+ selections are now being tested at Epcot so you can only book one major attraction and two minor attractions. I looked at the app and it seems to be all dates in November, not just a few

As much as a enjoyed FP + with my recent trip, this change seems disappointing unless it can really reduce standby waits by spreading people out ( although that seems unlikely in my mind)

Back almost to the August version - 1 headliner, 1 Minor and 1 System Pick, Now 1 Headliner, 2 - minor.

Why is an image of the Wile E Coyote popping into my head...

muteki

Faaaaantastic. Now we have come full circle.

Kman101

Now the other shoe is dropping. Heh. Let's see how well received this is.

I could end up really enjoying the band/etc. but I think for WDW they are setting themselves up for even longer lines at Guest Relations.

G8rchamps

Restrictions on FP+ selections are now being tested at Epcot so you can only book one major attraction and two minor attractions. I looked at the app and it seems to be all dates in November, not just a few.

Just tried it - not happy...

Weather_Lady

I'm reserving judgment... only because I think it's going to get even worse. WDW has a long-term plan in mind to get people to stay onsite and stay longer (to heck with the guest experience -- we're only supposed to get "the minimum" to keep the majority satisfied) and this is just the first step. At some point, FP+ will be restricted to onsite guests. ("We at WDW listen to our guests, and they were complaining that there weren't enough Fastpasses -- we listened, and now, thanks to us, our onsite guests will get this added perk all by themselves! Yay, us!")

Then ("You know, our guests loved our NextGen so much that the response has been overwhelming and there are still too many people wanting Fastpasses. We have to do something because we care! We'll give them what they want! Behold our innovation!"), you'll be required to book a vacation of a certain minimum length, perhaps with the dining plan ("It saves you 3% if you eat nothing but steak for a week!"), in order to get FP+. Since even FP+ isn't that helpful with a 3-attraction, 1-headliner limit, extra FP+ will be made available to desperate guests -- if they pay ridiculous amounts of money for them. ("You asked for it, and we granted it! We're so responsive! You begged us to let you pay more money and we obliged. Huzzah for NextGen!") Since the thrust is to get people to pay for more FP+ and/or more park tickets for more days, EMH and Parkhopper tickets will eventually be eliminated, and the only way to get "the full experience" at WDW will be to book an extensive, non-discounted vacation package with multiple full-day visits to every park, and hundreds or even thousands in extra FP+ and other add-ons.

Sounds crazy, right? Suicidal from a public relations perspective? An excuse for charging more while giving guests less? That's what we thought about FP+ when it was first described and some already consider it normal, and are even thankful for it... I wouldn't put anything past WDW at this point.

Last edited:

coltow

What are considered "major?" Soarin & Test Track?

007mickey

Yesterday was our 60 day mark. Staying one night at POFQ, spending day at EPCOT. I was able to select Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space. Did have an issue with first try (said I had reached my FP limit for one family member or someting), canceled the whole thing and went through the selection process again and it worked. It's a little strange trying to think of your day and select specific times 2 months ahead. I'm curious to see how the system works when we use it.

orky8

"major attractions" of which you can only select one are test track, Soarin', Maelstrom, illuminations and meet your Disney pals.

Wow oh wow. This will go over well. Pre FP+ you could easily get FPs for at least 2 of those. Sounds like a greatly diminished experience. But, what can we expect in a park where attendence greatly exceeds noteworthy attractions. FP+ is nothing more than a rationing device until TDO starts building attractions, which they are already 10 years late on.

WDWYankee15

"major attractions" of which you can only select one are test track, Soarin', Maelstrom, illuminations and meet your Disney pals.
This is what happens when you have a park with very few "Major Attractions." You can't have everyone booking up the same three FastPass+'s each day (Test Track, Soarin', and pick any third one).

The reality is look what ARE considered "Major Attractions" at EPCOT. I love me some Maestrom, but really??? :confused: And meeting your Disney Pals??? :facepalm: This is three characters that you can meet in each and every park on property and a million character meals. Also the line has generally not be very long for this since the remodel and the removal of characters.

FastPass+ seems to work best in Magic Kingdom where you have a lot to choose from for experiences and there are a greater number of "Major Attractions" that warrant the idea of FastPass. We loved using FastPass+ on our family trip in August but already modifications are getting me worried for future trips and usage.

orky8

BINGO!!! This is why you will need a multiday ticket and parks will require length vacations.
Epcot used to be a legitimate 2-day park because there was so much to do. Now it is a 2-day park because there is so little to do, that the lines are excessive. If Disney doesn't start building worthwhile attractions, and I mean yesterday, people are going to be fleeing to USO, and all that nostalgia that is the cornerstone of Disney's success is going to die out because the next generation of park goers simply won't have been raised with it.

I think it makes sense that you can FP+ only one major attraction (you can't give everybody FPs for every attraction -- that simply won't work). BUT, you need to make your parks worthy of being multi-day experiences.

ParentsOf4

They had to do this. Guests were picking the exact same 2 attractions: Soarin' and TT. With most selecting those two, they didn't even have enough capacity for onsite guests.

FP+ should be OK at MK but the problem is glaringly obvious at Epcot, DHS, and DAK: good ride capacity stinks!

Sadly, eventually they are going to have to implement this at MK as well. MK already is everyone's favorite park. Now what happens when the choices for the day are either Test Track & 2 rides no one cares much about vs. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain?

WDW attendance is already lop-sided towards MK. FP+ is only going to make it worse.

Yikes, Disney has a mess with FP+. I'm not talking about the technical issues. They'll fix those eventually. I'm talking about the ride capacity issues they have at 3 theme parks.

Maybe they first should have added attractions at Epcot, DHS, and DAK before implementing this [insert your favorite word] thing.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

We did our FP+ picks last month for next week and were able to pick Soarin, TT and Character Spot. Also at DHS we were able to get Tower, TSMM and Fantasmic. This must be a new change.. One that I do NOT like. With the current paper FP, you could do Soarin and TT in one day. Even multiple times if you wanted and were able to get the FP for it. This change is terrible. FP lines are super long now, making the standby line even longer. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the old system. Once they started enforcing the return times, it seemed to go a lot smoother.

Does anyone know if paper FP is still available?

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
The current choices are:
1 pick = Maelstrom, Character Spot, Soarin' or Test Track
2 picks= Captain EO, Jouney into Imagination, Living with the Land, Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk

These limitations were not in effect last Friday when I was checking fast passes for December 13th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom