FastPass+ open to all guests including offsite beginning next week at Disney's Animal Kingdom

JerseyDad

Also, there's a lot of gripe about the 3 per day, 1 park per day limit, and I agree, but I'm willing to bet that this will change once this is fully rolled out and Legacy Fastpass is removed.
So yes, I agree that it's pretty crazy and messy right now, but I don't think that Fastpass+ is something everyone should crap all over already. The transition period from legacy Fastpass to Fastpass+ is going to be rough, but there are positive aspects to this!

.....yes ...it is pretty messy and crazy right now. So here's the solution ...from someone that likes their money ...doesn't have a lot of it ...and has no desire to spend it on something that does not provide the expected returns on an investment: Don't Go To WDW.

....why would anyone shell out a few grand to visit WDW ...knowing that they are part of the "grand experiment" ...and are basically lab-rats for TDO to use in order to "get things right"? Would WDW advertise all this with a catch-phrase, "Come to WDW ...your trip may suck, or it may not suck ....but roll the dice and come anyway".

....believe me ...I was one that would bow to all things Disney ...but cannot do so, blindly ...like I used to. (and it really bothers me)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know first-hand that it absolutely is, at least when there is sustained Fastpass demand. Management constantly monitors the CMs to make sure it happens. At all of the most popular attractions, I absolutely promise you that throughout most of the day, around 80% or more of the rides' capacities are filled from the Fastpass queue. The standard ratio is 1:4, not 1:8. So 4 people from Standby = 16 from Fastpass. At rides like Soarin', Test Track, Everest... the highest demand rides, its more often closer to 90% Fastpass.

My point was the merge ratio does not define how much of the attraction's capacity is given to FP - but rather how the FP return line is managed. The FP return line was not always backed up. The merge ratio is high to ensure the FP line does not backup. (tho it effectively did in spikes). If the merge ratio were lower than than the effective distribution rate (counting how many actually return per slot vs distributed) - the FP return line would continue to backup. So you make the merge ratio higher, to ensure it doesn't. So at any time, yes a large percentage of people boarding are FP - but the numbers are off. And the 90% has got to be way off. The lines would be many hours at those types of percentages.

If I had the time and skills I would draw up a little flash animation as a visual aid. With a Fastpass line, more people are riding before you than would be possible with one line in which there is a fixed number of people ahead of you.

I think I know what you are trying to say.. but the words you are using don't fit :)

JerseyDad

Tom Morrow said:
If I had the time and skills I would draw up a little flash animation as a visual aid. With a Fastpass line, more people are riding before you than would be possible with one line in which there is a fixed number of people ahead of you.

....a little flash animation at this point would be a welcome addition!! Those of us whom are slow of wit ...and may have had pre-dinner martini #2 ...need a little help. Go for it!! ;)

lentesta

Premium Member
Apparently Disney is concerned about the number of off-site guests who will need to use the FastPass+ kiosks starting tomorrow at the Animal Kingdom. They've printed up these paper sheets to distribute to guests at the park. Guests are supposed to give these back to a CM, who will then operate the kiosk to get the guests their FP+ requests.

This does not seem like a sustainable process. Does anyone know what Disney expects the MDE app adoption rate to be for day guests?

FastpassPaperForm.jpg

Tom Morrow

My point was the merge ratio does not define how much of the attraction's capacity is given to FP - but rather how the FP return line is managed. The FP return line was not always backed up. The merge ratio is high to ensure the FP line does not backup. (tho it effectively did in spikes). If the merge ratio were lower than than the effective distribution rate (counting how many actually return per slot vs distributed) - the FP return line would continue to backup. So you make the merge ratio higher, to ensure it doesn't. So at any time, yes a large percentage of people boarding are FP - but the numbers are off. And the 90% has got to be way off. The lines would be many hours at those types of percentages.
At the highest demand rides, like Toy Story, Soarin', Everest, RnRc, I can absolutely 100% confirm that there is continuous Fastpass demand throughout most of the day on any moderate-crowded day, and 90% is not at all uncommon. These attractions rarely clear their Fastpass queue during peak hours, and even if they do, that is offset by the spikes of Fastpass return guests in which the ratio is adjusted to 90%.
....a little flash animation at this point would be a welcome addition!! Those of us whom are slow of wit ...and may have had pre-dinner martini #2 ...need a little help. Go for it!! ;)
Well, this is all I have time for right now: ...

Fastpass101.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyDad

Apparently Disney is concerned about the number of off-site guests who will need to use the FastPass+ kiosks starting tomorrow at the Animal Kingdom. They've printed up these paper sheets to distribute to guests at the park. Guests are supposed to give these back to a CM, who will then operate the kiosk to get the guests their FP+ requests.

This does not seem like a sustainable process. Does anyone know what Disney expects the MDE app adoption rate to be for day guests?

View attachment 41241

....so ...the high-tech 2 billion dollar "system of tomorrow" ....needs printed paper sheets to function?

....well ...ohhh-kaaaay ....you may now laugh ...or cry ...as you see fit.

ParentsOf4

View attachment 41241

Glad to know we got rid of paper FastPass just to get ...

(wait for it)

Paper FastPass+ !!!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

CDavid

Well, people have been telling us for months how MyMagic+ will permit Disney to save on labor costs. Oh, wait...

This is something, at least, though I don't know that it's going to be enough to keep from sinking the while process tomorrow. Still going to hold up the process explaining to people they can't have a certain time, or an attraction is booked up for the day.

What someone really needs to invent is some kind of FP terminal which prints out a ticket or slip of paper showing the attraction name and your ride time. ;)

disney4life2008

.....yes ...it is pretty messy and crazy right now. So here's the solution ...from someone that likes their money ...doesn't have a lot of it ...and has no desire to spend it on something that does not provide the expected returns on an investment: Don't Go To WDW.

....why would anyone shell out a few grand to visit WDW ...knowing that they are part of the "grand experiment" ...and are basically lab-rats for TDO to use in order to "get things right"? Would WDW advertise all this with a catch-phrase, "Come to WDW ...your trip may suck, or it may not suck ....but roll the dice and come anyway".

....believe me ...I was one that would bow to all things Disney ...but cannot do so, blindly ...like I used to. (and it really bothers me)

Well said. I have a January trip planned but I have had other expenses come up which is usual this time of the year, but with all the fpplus garb I am really debating on not going. What is motivating me to go is that I have concluded this will likely be my last trip to wdw for an extended period of time. I may try dlr in late 2014 or a Disney cruise. Wdw has lost its luster for me even before mmplus but I might as well go out with one last trip.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Dining would be my rationale for it. Go to MK in the morning and then go to Diner in Epcot that evening. Go to AK for 1/2 a day and then food in Epcot

That is the mindset of most foodies - which works "if" the party is staying on disney property and likely has the DDP, TIW or paying out of pocket. For the other brac
You are definitely in one of the categories of guests who will be most impacted by the new system.

View attachment 41241

It is safe to assume tomorrow will be a disaster. People who are on Disney blogs will be prepared but we make a very small percentage in daily attendance. I assume this printed sheet sheet is designed for guests to check off the attractions then hand it to a cm ado they enter the rides. Terrible! We get an increase of paper in an environmental park and CMS doing a job that is boring and likely to get alot of hatred. And the paper is misleading because offsite guests can download the app and may think they can log in and select online but they cant. I anticipate long lines at the kiosk come December 20th.

JerseyDad

........Terrible! We get an increase of paper in an environmental park and CMS doing a job that is boring and likely to get alot of hatred. And the paper is misleading because offsite guests can download the app and may think they can log in and select online but they cant.

....didn't think of that aspect 'till you brought it up. That's right ...a park where you can't get a straw ...but thousands of scan-sheets will be handed out.

...alert the Sierra Club!!

hpyhnt 1000

View attachment 41241

So much mockery to be made of this process.
  • What happens when everyone checks off Everest, Dinosaur and K.Safaris and they're no longer available?
  • How are guests supposed to plan anything when they won't be able to see/know the current FP+ return times?
  • What if you want to change your time? Would one need to fill out another form?
  • Presumably this process means there will need to be at least one CM at each FP+ kiosk along with probably at least two other CMs at each kiosk area (one to hand out the sheets and another to answer questions); how does this save on personnel costs?
  • What do you write with? And will tables be provided to write on?
  • How is any of this user friendly?
  • As already pointed out, how is this environmentally friendly?
The amount of potential chaos that this could generate, during peak holiday season, is both alarming and hilarious. At best, its going to be an annoying nuisance; at worst, a complete disaster. Sympathies to anyone who is going to have to deal with this process, especially the frontline CMs.

JerseyDad

hpyhnt 1000 said:

]So much mockery to be made of this process.
  • What happens when everyone checks off Everest, Dinosaur and K.Safaris and they're no longer available? (ever see the original Frankenstein ...where they burn the windmill? ...well ...like that ...but worse)
  • How are guests supposed to plan anything when they won't be able to see/know the current FP+ return times? (they're not ...Disney doesn't care ...they'll have your park admission by then)
  • What if you want to change your time? Would one need to fill out another form? (see above)
  • Presumably this process means there will need to be at least one CM at each FP+ kiosk along with probably at least two other CMs at each kiosk area (one to hand out the sheets and another to answer questions); how does this save on personnel costs? (it doesn't ...and you forgot the 4th and 5th CM's with pepper spray and rubber bullet guns)
  • What do you write with? And will tables be provided to write on? (writing instruments? tables? ....Bwahahahahahahahaaaa!!)
  • How is any of this user friendly? (um ...it's not)
  • As already pointed out, how is this environmentally friendly? (well ....it is 'green technology' ...it's putting green stuff in Disney's pockets ....and that's the only area of concern)

......couldn't resist ...was wearing my cruel shoes today (see above)

msteel

They are clearly pointing people to the app with the scancode. Why not let them use the app tomorrow? Here are a couple of possibilities:

1) The network infrastructure might be incapable of handling the demand for usage. This would be considered a system failure, because let's face it, the demand will never be lighter than tomorrow when, what, 80% of guests will not know about the system.

2) How about this? The Network infrastructure is incapable of handling the demand of 80% of park guests suddenly realizing that the app would be really useful today, and deciding to download it NOW. of course this still may happen, but tomorrow people will not expect to get FP+ that way.

3) The ability to lock out access via the app is not fine-grained enough to allow "anybody at AK but only for today, but no other parks" so the kiosk is a way of requiring people to be in the park.

4) ?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A common rumor that is spread around all the forums and Podcast that I have read or listened to suggests that when testing is over, you will get 3 fast passes if you are staying in a value resort guests, 5 for moderate and 7 for deluxe guests, Florida residents with annual passes and DVC Members. It was rumored that Off site guests will only have an option to buy into the three fast pass option available to only value resort guests.

I know if you read the rumor mill, nothing ever comes true, but this kinda makes sense. Disney does have 3 tiers of resorts, I can see them putting a fast pass tiering system in place as well depending on where your staying.
I'm not sure there is enough FP capacity for this. Take a park like AK that only has 9 attractions with FP+ If a large number of guests receive 7 FP reservations a day the supply will run dry before everyone gets their allotment and there would definitely be none left for off property guests. Assuming each room ends up with an average of 3 guests and the allotments are 7/5/3 you would need around 150,000 additional FP reservations a day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So to summarize:

1) we were outraged that they were rolling out this AK test during the busy holiday season because guests would be stuck waiting in lines for the kiosks.

2) Disney attempts to help these same guests by offering paper print outs of the rides available and CM help using the system in an attempt to ease the expected lines for the kiosk. We are now outraged because the paper isn't environmentally friendly?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Tough crowd.

danv3

So to summarize:

1) we were outraged that they were rolling out this AK test during the busy holiday season because guests would be stuck waiting in lines for the kiosks.

2) Disney attempts to help these same guests by offering paper print outs of the rides available and CM help using the system in an attempt to ease the expected lines for the kiosk. We are now outraged because the paper isn't environmentally friendly?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Tough crowd.

I think most of the outrage comes from Disney having created the problem by trying to fix an existing system (old fastpass) that wasn't broken by replacing it with a system that requires (at least for offsite guests) either lines at kiosks or filling out slips of paper to then wait at lines at kiosks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom