FastPass+ open to all guests including offsite beginning next week at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Virtual Toad

Wow, such a great time to test this out if you're looking to stress the system. And the guests. Not so great for guests.

How are offsite folks (edit: or onsite folks who didn't plan ahead) going to feel after waiting 20 minutes to interact with a kiosk only to discover there are no E-ticket FP+s available?

Does anyone think this will be fun? But I suppose theme parks were never supposed to be about fun.

pumpkin7

I just wish they would have just gone paperless, as in, everyone still gets a magic band, but then you still have to go to a FP machine like you do now. Instead of paper FP, you just scan your band.
I know lots of people wouldn't like that now they've got used to booking things online, but that seems like a fair system for everyone and as close to what FP is now.
Unless they get a fair few of these kiosks, then I just don't see how this is benefiting anyone. But then again it does benefit on site guests which I guess is what Disney is trying to say. You stay onsite, you get special treatment. Though not everyone can afford to stay on site sadly.

weedles

So essentially all this is doing is replacing legacy FP with electronic FP+.
Everyone, whether on or offsite, will be limited to 3 per day making the playing field level for all. Onsite (and assumably AP) will have the added benefit of scheduling ahead of time - as I think it should be. Nobody seems to cry unfairness to EMH only being accessible to onsite so why for this? I honestly dont see how moving to this next phase (not whether obviously yes more attractions are needed thats a separate argument) is anything but positive.

(flame suit on :cautious:)

Wait, let me confirm one thing.

Offsite guest-cannot use legacy(papar) fast pass, cannot use Fastpass+ until they go to reservation place
Onsite guest-still can use legacy(papar) fast pass or not???
Legacy fastpass cannot be used anymore for anyone who has their tickets on a magic band or RFID KTTW card according to the new Terms of Service that just came out on MM+ Dec 6th. I am surprised that they decided to do this the week of Christmas. Busiest time of the year. I would hate to be working at Animal Kingdom this week. Lots of angry guests.

weedles

Wow, such a great time to test this out if you're looking to stress the system. And the guests. Not so great for guests.

How are offsite folks (edit: or onsite folks who didn't plan ahead) going to feel after waiting 20 minutes to interact with a kiosk only to discover there are no E-ticket FP+s available?

Does anyone think this will be fun? But I suppose theme parks were never supposed to be about fun.

Most know that you have to plan ahead for the major etickets (Soarin TSMM etc) and will get to the parks early to do such. Those that dont will not be able to without riding standby. I dont see how it is any different with it being a paper FP or FP+.

WDWYankee15

The model for offsite guests in this test is getting closer to what FP+ should be: paperless fastpass that works very much like the current system with no advanced reservations. I hope (but don't expect) they move in this direction for everyone.
With offsite guests being unable to make FP+ selections until after they arrive at the park, offsite guests will be at a huge disadvantage.
If Disney continues the policy after testing is complete, offsite guests most definitely will have an inferior WDW experience.
WDW continues to have a capacity problem at 3 of its theme parks. It appears MyMagic+'s "solution" to this problem might be to screw over offsite guests.
Epcot, DHS, and DAK need more rides!
is this a problem? Shouldn't Disney Resort guests have the advantage? Disney would say, "stay on site or get an AP if you want priority." And those are the groups that should get priority.
BINGO!

Also, My Magic+ is about making money. Stay at our resorts, buy our food, etc. People keep waiting for the "Potter Swatter." Something to respond to Universal. This is it in TDO's mind. You stay on Disney property, then you are much more unlikely to venture to Universal or any other property. This is an extension of what they have been doing for years. Contracting with Mears to create the Magical Express falls into the same category. Disney gives you transportation from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to all the parks, so you can save on a rental car... Yah they are just good people that way... it's so you DON'T rent a car! No car means, without a taxi, you are staying on THEIR property. All your money stays at Disney.

This might not be how we would all envision countering Universal or even like My Magic+ at all, but this is the thinking behind this.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

If all guests to Disney parks would want to stay onsite then Disney would have a serious capacity problem. I would think that a good portion of visitors to the Orlando area staying at the regions estimated 150,000 rooms visit WDW. If FP+ is going to be an advantage to those groups that stay on site then Disney needs to build more rooms - either that or the price of a Disney hotel will go up dramatically as demand increases for perks such as FP+.
The problem goes back to ride capacity at 3 of WDW's theme parks.

Excluding the Swan & Dolphin (which it seems Disney intends to lump in with offsite guests) and Shades of Green (which is no longer owned by Disney), WDW has about 28,000 rooms.

With that number of rooms, Disney is once again being forced into offering tiered attractions at Epcot and DHS. For example, either Soarin' or Test Track but not both.

Building more onsite rooms without building more attractions means even more tiered attractions, devaluing FastPass+ further.

In order for FP+ to work, Disney needs to be able to offer at least 3 FP+ selections to its onsite guests that they actually value.

Telling me that one of my FP+ selections is Figment is not going to inspire me to extend my onsite vacation.

And telling me that for my $500/night room at the Grand Floridian I have to pick between Soarin' or Test Track makes me wonder why bother.

Why not stay at one of Universal's Deluxe Resorts (that are less expensive) and get unlimited Express Pass for 2 theme parks that have lots of E-ticket attractions.

Oh and, by the way, Universal is building lots of new, exciting attractions.

Pre or post FP+, it still comes down to the fact that WDW needs more good attractions at 3 of its theme parks.

Last edited:

WDWYankee15

If all guests to Disney parks would want to stay onsite then Disney would have a serious capacity problem. I would think that a good portion of visitors to the Orlando area staying at the regions estimated 150,000 rooms visit WDW. If FP+ is going to be an advantage to those groups that stay on site then Disney needs to build more rooms - either that or the price of a Disney hotel will go up dramatically as demand increases for perks such as FP+.

All about more money... supply and demand... Also they have been continually building more resort space.

Susan Savia

I don't see there being a huge disadvantage for us (offsite guests). Our family rarely used the regular FP's before, so what's the difference. When we walk into a park at 9 in the morning, I have no idea what I am going to be doing at 6:30 tonight, like wanting to ride on Test Track, etc. Kinda like dining reservations 6 months out... Why is it necessary to make every aspect of ones vacation so scheduled and organized?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't see there being a huge disadvantage for us (offsite guests). Our family rarely used the regular FP's before, so what's the difference. When we walk into a park at 9 in the morning, I have no idea what I am going to be doing at 6:30 tonight, like wanting to ride on Test Track, etc. Kinda like dining reservations 6 months out... Why is it necessary to make every aspect of ones vacation so scheduled and organized?
If you did not use FP before, then the changes will not impact you, other than increased standby lines at attractions that now offer FP+ that didn't offer FP before.

WDWYankee15

Because if you go during a peak season you will not get to do anything. 3 hour waits for rides in standby is not uncommon. If you usually visit during off peak periods, this whole FastPass+ is much ado about nothing.

As has been pointed out many times already in this thread, attendance in the parks often far outweighs capicity of the rides, restaurants, etc. Reservations are essentially the necessary evil to have controlled choas.

bladerunner

Yes I think Disney is suffering from its own success by having so many guests want to visit its parks but at the same time it has been short sighted in not building more rides and expanding to another gate years ago. Now you have guests that are unhappy and unwilling to stand in long lines and Disney is trying to figure out how best to address this. I don't think that FP+ was the answer. Charging for FP+ could be short term solution but again won't solve the ride capacity issues. I hate to think it but it is likely that Disney will eventually need to raise their prices even more both at parks and resorts to balance out the high demand and maintain the quality experience for those willing to pay for it.

boufa

This comes down to a couple things that happen every time something get changed... people react to the word CAN'T, people don't think about the actual impact of the change and people just hate change.

This "change" simply makes fastpass at AK a central distribution point. So what is the big deal. O.k. I grant you crowds and congestion. This change is no different than if they changed the color of the tickets... ultimately its the same program as it is today. There is actually an added benefit that isn't being talked about. You get to CHOOSE A TIME rather than getting the next time slot available. Have some wierd reason (photographic lighting maybe?) that you just have to ride the safari after 5pm... o.k. now you might have a chance to reserve that specific slot of fastpass...

One other point... there is also an assumption that all fastpasses are available 60 days out. So that off-site guest have an unfair access to the system. That may not be true. They may release a certain ratio of pre-scheduled/same day passes. Therefor the number of same day passes to off-site guests would be the same as it is today... maybe.

ParentsOf4

Also, My Magic+ is about making money. Stay at our resorts, buy our food, etc. People keep waiting for the "Potter Swatter." Something to respond to Universal. This is it in TDO's mind.
What you have to realize is that the MM+ project was conceived before there was a Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. It was conceived at a time when Universal was unquestionably inferior to WDW. When there was no need for a Potter Swatter.

In that business climate, MM+ made sense. Essentially, WDW was competing with itself. Its primary goal was to get more guests to stay onsite and for longer.

WWOHP changed the environment. It infused Universal with much needed cash, as did the takeover by the deep-pocketed Comcast.

Universal is now flush with money that it's using to target the Orlando tourist industry. If Universal can peel off 5% to 10% of WDW's business, then that's a huge win for Universal.

MM+ is based on an out-of-date business model yet once a project the size of MM+ is launched, it takes on a life of its own. It's nearly impossible to put the brakes on it. Considering its tremendous cost overruns, it's never going to achieve its financial objectives.

Telling offsite guests that they have to stand in slow FP+ kiosk lines in order to get the scraps of onsite guests is not going to inspire them to visit WDW more. It's only going to drive them away towards Universal.

Whatever WDW gains from onsite guests might largely be lost from offsite guests.

Again, it all comes down to capacity. Disney needs to make some serious ride improvements at 3 of its theme parks.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

Most know that you have to plan ahead for the major etickets (Soarin TSMM etc) and will get to the parks early to do such. Those that dont will not be able to without riding standby. I dont see how it is any different with it being a paper FP or FP+.

Except that "plan ahead" will increasingly mean not at rope drop, but 60 days out, and only for those allowed access.

The silver lining, possibly, is that the new system will be such a pain in the #%^ that a key percentage of guests will reject it in favor of just winging it for the day. Reduce the number of people using FP+ and the standby lines become more bearable.

And that my friends is the best we can hope for from our WDW vacations in the next decade.

See you at Legoland because that's the park my 5 and 8 year old boys are requesting we return to. We say "What about the Magic Kingdom?" They say "no thanks."

awilliams4

Many places offer perks to special guests and Disney is doing the same here with the new FP+. The problem is that they are not just giving a perk to an on-site guest but also taking away something from a large group of people. When they gave EMH to on-site guests it was a perk for them but didn't take something away from others. FP+ completely changes the fundamental way that offsite guests will experience the parks.

Being a DVC owner with a fair amount of points staying in a Grand Villa versus someone staying off site produces vast differences in the experience. Eating Table Service meals twice a day onsite or eating at Food Courts and Ice Cream Kiosks all week instead produces different experiences. Staying at BLT and walking to MK or staying at the All Stars and taking a Bus back and forth produces far different experiences. Staying a week and getting a 4 day pass or having a Premium Annual Pass changes the options of your experience.

Yes, spending more money at WDW versus those that spend less will produce different experiences.

awilliams4

Except that "plan ahead" will increasingly mean not at rope drop, but 60 days out, and only for those allowed access.

The silver lining, possibly, is that the new system will be such a pain in the #%^ that a key percentage of guests will reject it in favor of just winging it for the day. Reduce the number of people using FP+ and the standby lines become more bearable.

And that my friends is the best we can hope for from our WDW vacations in the next decade.

See you at Legoland because that's the park my 5 and 8 year old boys are requesting we return to. We say "What about the Magic Kingdom?" They say "no thanks."

Monitor the Disney Park's revenue and attendance for the next 5 years. If things continue to increase...as they will, then your reaction to FP+ just means that maybe Disney is going after a market that doesn't quite fit for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom