FastPass+ now fully deployed to all guests - let's reset the conversation and hear your views

Fractal514

Limiting three Fastpasses per day is also very poor. It was common for our family to have near 8 each day, depending on our plans.

Our overall ride count was severely down, so our overall value for price paid is extremely low.

Having to use Standby more often, we quickly realized that MANY of the Disney rides are not worth the Standby wait.

I've heard a lot of folks talk about this, and I have to agree that for you, yes, this will mean less FP. BUT... it seems that FP use in general is up, which means that more folks are using them and thus it is being more evenly distributed. The reason you were able to get 8 in earlier trips is because others were getting none. While I think this definitely is not good for your family individually, I think it indicates a fairer system overall.

surfsupdon

Your students got to go on a senior trip to Walt Disney World, how is that fair in the first place? I sincerely hope they gain perspective on what is and isn't fair in life at some point.

Hahaha, it was fair because they paid/raised the 1142 bucks per person that it cost for the 5night trip. Having paid the price, they expected advance FP+ use.

Fractal514

Considering this did in fact go live, yesterday, it is not a prank. Cast Members are now the only people who cannot book in advance and it will be sometime before we are able to, which many are quite bitter about. Not only that, but unless they are staying at a resort, once the implementation does go live for Cast they will only be able to book 7 days out, 30 if they are staying at a resort. What's the point?

I always thought the point of FastPass was to give folks a chance to ride the one or two things that really matter to them. I personally see this as being far more important for a family who makes one trip a lifetime or every five or ten years than a cast member who works there or an AP holder who gets to go all the time and who can just come back later if the lines are too crowded. Also, do CM's pay for tickets? Don't AP's actually get a substantial discount on park admission if you look at the cost per trip? With that in mind, why shouldn't the folks who are paying full price and who don't have the option of coming back another day get a little advantage here?

Fractal514

Hahaha, it was fair because they paid/raised the 1142 bucks per person that it cost for the 5night trip. Having paid the price, they expected advance FP+ use.

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't have it. This will hopefully curtail the giant hordes of various tour groups descending on an attraction and holding is hostage for an hour or so, all the while chanting, singing, and acting obnoxious. I'm not suggesting that these kids would do that, but many do. Also, what's the educational value of a trip to Disney? Just curious how school districts justify this.

surfsupdon

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't have it. This will hopefully curtail the giant hordes of various tour groups descending on an attraction and holding is hostage for an hour or so, all the while chanting, singing, and acting obnoxious. I'm not suggesting that these kids would do that, but many do. Also, what's the educational value of a trip to Disney? Just curious how school districts justify this.

Wow you're funny. They are seniors. They are responsible. There are no "parks of the day" or "let's all go here." The students get their park hoppers, and head off to the parks that they want to go to, abiding by the same code of conduct all Park goers must abide by. Your generalizations were offensive.

This trip is not for educational purposes. It is to celebrate Senior Year, and have a last hurrah with their peers, classmates, and friends. I have been in charge of this trip for eight years now, and our group has yet to have a security/noise complaint from Caribbean Beach, or an issue of unruly behavior in the Parks.

Thanks for your concern, and if you'd like to further the convo, please message me so we do not hijack this thread.

sporadic

I disagree. As soon as the 60 day window opens for the 1st day of an upcoming trip, it would be completely unwieldy to the guest to keep making them log in each next day to get the 60 day window for that day. I like the way it is now. When the first day of the 60 day window of the trip arrives, all the days for that trip opens up. That's how it should be.

The only issue now is that you have A&E going on standby at 62-64 days out. People only going a few days don't even stand a chance for an A&E FP because people arriving a few days earlier have already taken them. For now, It's only an issue with that attraction and I hope it goes away in the future. But what about when more people become aware of the system and start using it? I really don't care for planning all my FP's 60 days out and liked it the way it was before, first come first serve on day of. Realize we're stuck with it now, but interested to see how this will play out in a year or two after more people are planning their annual trips.

jaklgreen

We are definitely gonna need someone who is currently onsite to give us some info on how things are going. Glad @wdwmagic hit the reset button to start anew. Also glad off site guests can use the system to its full potential. Even though onsite guests are spending considerably more on their rooms, I always thought it stunk for the kids whose parents chose to stay offsite and were loosing out on getting FP+ for the "hard to get" attractions.

Sorry but this kind of made me laugh. I don't feel bad for any kid that gets to go to WDW on site or off. My parents never took us anywhere let alone WDW. If anyone wants to get the extra perk of pre planning their fastpasses they can pony up the dough and stay on site.

NowInc

I've been using FP+ now for months, so I am well aware that my opinions here will be viewed as bias and therefor dis-credible and even "stupid"...however...

My most recent trip was this past weekend (so technically right before it went public to everyone). I was able to make FP+ selections at 2am the day before I went to each park without issue each time. I also was able to move the times around DAY OF each day. The parks were exceptionally busy (although Saturday did clear out a bit after heavy rains) the entire time. My biggest complaint over the system comes from the long lines to get into some FP+s. It was stated earlier but I will recap some of my observations as to why this happens:

1.) People "lingering" by the entrance waiting for their FP+ time. The legacy system was up to the discretion of the CM (which towards the end of its run was more strict than previous years), with the new system, its to the minute. You show up 2 minutes early, you have to wait 2 minutes. Nothing wrong with that, AS LONG AS YOU MOVE OUT OF THE WAY FOR OTHERS BEHIND YOU. No, instead I saw people complaining to the CM, and thus holding up the line.

2.) People generally confused as to what they are on line for. Its nothing new...but human nature (especially at theme parks) shows that if there is a long line, something good must be at the other end..so some people will blindly get on it and wait. This happened a few times. There ARE CMs (or at least were at the times I looked) staffed at the lines trying to keep it clear what the wait is for, but not everyone listens. Heads buried into their smart phones (trying to make more reservations?), or simply just drifting in their own worlds.

3.) And this is a big one. The ride breaks down. Those who have FP+ selections during that timeframe when its not working are told they can return at any time (and at any other attraction) they choose. Guess what happens when word gets out that space mountain is back up and running? Yep...they all go back at the same time.

On to another note mentioned here that was way off topic..regarding "Should Disney be scared that people are asking questions about Universal"?

No. Because even YEARS before universal stepped up their game, Vacationers had no idea what rides are at what parks and who owns what license. They aren't asking about Universal out of preference, its out of confusion. It goes both ways. I have been at Uni and heard people asking about where they can find Pirates of the Caribbean (It IS a movie after all..so by default assumed its Universal).

Fractal514

Wow you're funny. They are seniors. They are responsible. There are no "parks of the day" or "let's all go here." The students get their park hoppers, and head off to the parks that they want to go to, abiding by the same code of conduct all Park goers must abide by. Your generalizations were offensive.

This trip is not for educational purposes. It is to celebrate Senior Year, and have a last hurrah with their peers, classmates, and friends. I have been in charge of this trip for eight years now, and our group has yet to have a security/noise complaint from Caribbean Beach, or an issue of unruly behavior in the Parks.

Thanks for your concern, and if you'd like to further the convo, please message me so we do not hijack this thread.

I'm sorry if my comments gave offense, but I did state that your group may not be exhibiting these behaviors, but that many groups have. I think that group use of FP+ is completely on topic as it has been a point of both frustration for groups and for those who do not appreciate the groups as much as positive of the system.

Also, I'm not concerned about your group, I just don't understand how going to Disney World has anything to do with graduating high school and I don't think I ever will. It's probably just because of my own personal experiences and beliefs. Glad you guys had a good time.

Fractal514

Sorry but this kind of made me laugh. I don't feel bad for any kid that gets to go to WDW on site or off. My parents never took us anywhere let alone WDW. If anyone wants to get the extra perk of pre planning their fastpasses they can pony up the dough and stay on site.

Agreed, if a kid is in Disney and complaining about FP and not just enjoying the parks, then I think something went wrong somewhere.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, the advantage of booking in advance is you get first choice of FP+, the advantage of waiting to see what the weather is going to do is that you get to be spontaneous and easily adjust your plans. You do not get to have it both ways. I understand why YOU want the system the way YOU have described it, but that's not the way others want it and it isn't the way it is or will be.

If you had taken the time to actually read my comment instead of focusing on how I like to tour, I had stated that instead of a completely unrealistic 60 days in advance I suggested 7 days in advance which allows one to select parks based on the 10 day forecast.

When you tour with everyone from Seniors to Toddlers one needs to take into account the weather as well. 60 Days would have been OK in ANAHEIM where the weather does not change much but in Florida - well not such a well thought out idea.

Fractal514

If you had taken the time to actually read my comment instead of focusing on how I like to tour, I had stated that instead of a completely unrealistic 60 days in advance I suggested 7 days in advance which allows one to select parks based on the 10 day forecast.

When you tour with everyone from Seniors to Toddlers one needs to take into account the weather as well. 60 Days would have been OK in ANAHEIM where the weather does not change much but in Florida - well not such a well thought out idea.

I read your comment and I disagree with it. Those of us who like to plan like to do so in advance. 60 days is not unrealistic, not for me at least, and not for many others. The weather in Florida CAN change, and that's why I stated that those who plan in advance sacrifice that flexibility and are at the whims of the weather. Now I'm starting to wonder if you actually read my post or not ;-)

Fractal514

So since your parents deprived you of any vacations as a child you feel no emotion for other children now. Got it. As someone who has "ponied up the dough" many times, I never felt the child should be penalized for the decision of the parent (staying offsite in this case). Im not a fan of class warfare.

Lol, class warfare. I'm sorry, but if you choose to stay off-site you are saving money at the cost of some perks. I don't think that folks who stay off-site are entitled to exact same experience as those who stay onsite. Kids aren't being penalized here at all. There is a difference between NOT getting a perk and being denied a basic right. You paid to enter the park, regardless of where you stay, you have a right to get on Space Mountain. Your FP for space mountain is a perk, regardless of where you stay.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Agreed, if a kid is in Disney and complaining about FP and not just enjoying the parks, then I think something went wrong somewhere.

Ive never seen any kid complain at WDW about FP. I have seen children laugh at FP+ though. We waited 25 minutes at POTC and the 10 year old kid in front us kept calling it slow pass. Kids notice everything and I Just didnt like the idea that some kid may see everybody using the FP+ line and would want to try it out and not have to wait in standby for every attraction just because his/her parents booked offsite.

jaklgreen

So since your parents deprived you of any vacations as a child you feel no emotion for other children now. Got it. As someone who has "ponied up the dough" many times, I never felt the child should be penalized for the decision of the parent (staying offsite in this case). Im not a fan of class warfare.
I feel bad for kids that are hungry or are being abused, not for ones that are on a vacation at WDW and are not able to ride peter pan 3 times in a day. Seriously!!! I am sure your life is great that you think not being able to ride a few extra rides a day is a hardship but that is not what I consider suffering.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Lol, class warfare. I'm sorry, but if you choose to stay off-site you are saving money at the cost of some perks. I don't think that folks who stay off-site are entitled to exact same experience as those who stay onsite. Kids aren't being penalized here at all. There is a difference between NOT getting a perk and being denied a basic right. You paid to enter the park, regardless of where you stay, you have a right to get on Space Mountain. Your FP for space mountain is a perk, regardless of where you stay.

I stay on property at Deluxe resorts and could care less if people staying offsite have the same perks as me. I am there to enjoy time with MY family, not to feel like I have entitlements because of where I sleep at night. ANd yes, if you pay to enter the park, you get FP+. My original comment was in reference to when offsite guests couldnt make FP+ selections until they arrived.

Fractal514

Ive never seen any kid complain at WDW about FP. I have seen children laugh at FP+ though. We waited 25 minutes at POTC and the 10 year old kid in front us kept calling it slow pass. Kids notice everything and I Just didnt like the idea that some kid may see everybody using the FP+ line and would want to try it out and not have to wait in standby for every attraction just because his/her parents booked offsite.

I'm as sympathetic as anyone to the feelings of kids, but I just don't see this as a real problem. All FP+ is is a shorter line, and if a kid really wants to "try it out" to experience FP+, there is no doubt in my mind they could do so on SOME attraction, regardless of where they're folks stay.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I feel bad for kids that are hungry or are being abused, not for ones that are on a vacation at WDW and are not able to ride peter pan 3 times in a day. Seriously!!! I am sure your life is great that you think not being able to ride a few extra rides a day is a hardship but that is not what I consider suffering.

You have a valid point. Yes, there are many children in this world that much more serious problems than FP+. I dont have a bleeding heart for kids at WDW without FP+, I just didnt like the idea that it was somewhat unfair for them. I didnt mean to come off as rude when I said your parents never took you anywhere. Sarcasm doesnt translate well on a forum. But in the end, yes, it is a silly thing to care about when you consider all the problems children out there face everyday. Thank you for the perspective.

Fractal514

I stay on property at Deluxe resorts and could care less if people staying offsite have the same perks as me. I am there to enjoy time with MY family, not to feel like I have entitlements because of where I sleep at night. ANd yes, if you pay to enter the park, you get FP+. My original comment was in reference to when offsite guests couldnt make FP+ selections until they arrived.

I'm glad you are so magnanimous, but others are not. Disney most definitely wants to encourage people to stay on-site and offering perks that are exclusive is certainly a tool they have and will use. FP has always been a perk, something that might be offered universally, but I think the big problem with it has that it has become something people are depending on and expecting and not just something that is a bonus that helps make the day a bit easier to manage.

Acolli18

I never really thought about it this way, but with the ever growing ticket prices, plus adding on another 12.95/person times the average family of 4, this is mildly irritating. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I wish they'd add these in as a package maybe with on site resort guests or something like that.

Update: Scratch all of this, I'm a bit behind!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom