FastPass+ now fully deployed to all guests - let's reset the conversation and hear your views

PhotoDave219

Considering this did in fact go live, yesterday, it is not a prank. Cast Members are now the only people who cannot book in advance and it will be sometime before we are able to, which many are quite bitter about. Not only that, but unless they are staying at a resort, once the implementation does go live for Cast they will only be able to book 7 days out, 30 if they are staying at a resort. What's the point?

Oh boy… That's ... That reinforces the disdain that upper management has towards the people at work here.

Interesting as there is a billboard across from Wawa at 535 & Poinciana Boulevard advertising Disney's fast pass plus.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between my last (very positive) FP+ experience and my upcoming October trip, after more and more people start using the system.
My November experience was great. Never booked a FP+ in advance, and still was able to get them for everything I needed while standing in the parks using MDE.
With more users, that might not be possible, so I'm interested to see how that changes my thoughts on the matter, because right now I'll take not having to run around the parks, go all the way to a ride and get the paper ticket, only to have to come back to it later to actually ride the ride. That was a benefit to me. I'll admit I was never a FP power user, and tend to go during off-peak (if that exists anymore).
I was impressed with the system before. I will see if that remains the same in (looks at signature for countdown) days.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I meant broken as in the design, in regards to user experience. There are cases were it just doesn't work and even with a 60 day window there are times when you may not be able to get what you want. For instance, FP's for A&E are all gone for today and tomorrow (60 & 61 days out). If we were just going for 2 days, the system wouldn't have worked for us. I feel really bad for AP holders and offsite guests with just a 30 day window. It will be a year or so until they can get a FP for anything new after it comes out.
There is nothing that would guarantee that FP+ are not going to run out. If they did it each day, the first X number of guests would still get FPs, and the rest would be out of luck. Also, imagine the annoyance of having to log into the system each day for 10 days of your trip and have to schedule your FPs.
If the system works well at all is up to personal tastes, but as-implemented, being able to book for your entire trip is an advantage over having to do it each day individually.
And to your second point, at least for off-site guests, that's a design choice as well. They want to entice people to stay in their (overpriced) resorts on-site. Having access to FP+ earlier than others is one potential perk to convince someone to stay onsite.
Have not honestly followed AP holders access though, as I don't see a time in QUITE a few years that I'll hold an AP, so I have not thought about their access much, being 100% honest.

Animaniac93-98

The full rollout will help with kiosk lines, but I won't change my opinion that beyond going paperless the new system provides less of a benefit to me over the old when considering its restrictions and the associated BS that comes with advance reservations.

MissM

FP+ is still a very mixed bag for me.

Ensuring I get to ride a favorite (like Big Thunder) by reserving it in advance? Pro.
Being able to make changes/reservations on your phone on the fly without having to crisscross the park? Pro.
Having to use all 3 in one park only? Huge Con.
Getting only 3 FP+ per day? Also a major Con.
Tiered FP+ for Epcot? Con that renders FP for Epcot pointless (especially when paired with the forced need to use all 3 in one park)

I think that there needs to be further refinement in the process and system. It's like some of the basic ideas are interesting but how they've been implemented is really lacking in practical usage and experience in my opinion. Something may sound good on paper, but actual real-world usage is limited and restrictive compared to how it used to be.

I'd like to see them lift the one park restriction and give some kind of "rolling" 4th FP+ that can be used "day of" so when you're done with your original 3, you're not just completely done for the day. That would be a bit more hybrid between old and new and what I personally think the system needs to be.

Thumper14

The old FP was not without its limits. Top venues had the Legacy FP sold out too. If you arrived late in the park, there was little hope for a FP to Soarin, Peter Pan or Toy Story.
Just keep checking, and an opening will show up!
I had to check the BOG dinner reservations several times a day before I finally stumbled on an opening. I would have never been able to make that many phone calls. Some venues are just worth it.

Stop fighting new technology-Assimilate!  

Thumper14

Ensuring I get to ride a favorite (like Big Thunder) by reserving it in advance? Pro.
Being able to make changes/reservations on your phone on the fly without having to crisscross the park? Pro.
Having to use all 3 in one park only? Huge Con.
Getting only 3 FP+ per day? Also a major Con.
Tiered FP+ for Epcot? Con that renders FP for Epcot pointless (especially when paired with the forced need to use all 3 in one park)

I think that there needs to be further refinement in the process and system. It's like some of the basic ideas are interesting but how they've been implemented is really lacking in practical usage and experience in my opinion. Something may sound good on paper, but actual real-world usage is limited and restrictive compared to how it used to be.

I'd like to see them lift the one park restriction and give some kind of "rolling" 4th FP+ that can be used "day of" so when you're done with your original 3, you're not just completely done for the day. That would be a bit more hybrid between old and new and what I personally think the system needs to be.

I agree on the tiered FP+ at Epcot sucks, but there are not that many rides. Maybe that is the reason?

Thumper14

Here is some consolations for the FP+ naysayers.
I am a DLR fan, and last year we stood in line for just shy of an hour to grab FP for Radiator Spring Racers. Seemed silly, but the FP go quickly. I could not help but think there was something odd about whole thing. But if you ever rode RSR, you would understand why. The next day we discovered the single rider line and took advantage of it most of the day. Although the wait time on SR line was also up to an hour at times.

Rider

Soarin and TT sold out for today. Not a surprise.

TSMM still has times. In fact it offered me a time for 12:40 (5 minutes from when I requested it).

I was also able to get times for MK on Easter Saturday for any attraction.

BigThunderMatt

I'm reserving judgement till the summer season as to the effects during peak season. That being said your results are promising.

No need to. It's been nearly as busy as Christmas week during a few days in the last 2 weeks or so. And with the exception of 4th of July the majority of summer is no busier than an average day during spring break anymore.

Merlin0402

What I'm most interested in is how the full rollout has effected guests who choose not to use the system and just wait in the standby lines. Are you pretty much screwed if you don't use FP+, or can you still get on most of the rides without making reservations? How has this effected the standby wait times?

BigThunderMatt

What I'm most interested in is how the full rollout has effected guests who choose not to use the system and just wait in the standby lines. Are you pretty much screwed if you don't use FP+, or can you still get on most of the rides without making reservations? How has this effected the standby wait times?

In late February they were already out of FP+ for Toy Story when we arrived first thing that day. We opted to wait in Standby. It was listed as 70 minutes. It turned out to be 40. I attribute this to two things:

They are still using the queue tracking system that existed before MM+. It wasn't accurate then, it's not accurate now. The second factor is the removal of the GAC and the spread of FP's per hour and the strict ratio usage of them. It allows the FastPass line to function the way it should, which allows Standby to move at a more consistent pace since now nearly every single person entering the FastPass line has already been accounted for before the day has even started.

Virtual Toad

Our family of four just returned Sunday night from a week at WDW using the bands, FP+ and the iPhone App.

Anyone who's followed the conversation knows I've been very critical of NextGen, so it may surprise you that my reaction after actually using the new system is mostly positive.

With a few caveats.

Sorry, this is a very lengthy post, but I want to give a full account of our experience.

MagicBands, the Pros: After swearing I was never going to wear one, and letting the darn things sit unopened for weeks before the vacation, we brought them with us, and in the spirit of adventure, I decided we would give them a try. I found the band to actually be quite comfortable, even while swimming, and it certainly made getting into our room easier. After a few tries I could trigger the FP+ scanners with a minimum of effort. We did not include charging privileges on our bands so I can't comment on that. Using the bands instead of RFID passes was a roughly equal-- but not clearly superior-- experience IMHO. For on site stays it provided a few plusses but absolutely no "wow" factor. As an AP holder I don't see any benefit to using the bands, so for day trips we will stick to the passes.

MagicBands, the Cons: Having children use these is going to be quite a stumbling block and could be a deal breaker for the future of MagicBands unless changes are made. My 5 year old refused to wear his (smart move) and my 8 year old lost his within the first 24 hours. I had already guessed that this would happen, and we had his AP to use as a backup, so not a big deal for us, but families relying solely on the MagicBands should think twice before giving them to their kids! In addition, teaching kids to use the bands quickly at the FP+ entrances is not easy. In many cases, the scanners are too tall for younger kids to use without going through contortions, leading to frustration, and worst of all delays. More on that in a moment.

MagicBands and privacy: Didn't really cross my mind. Not sure if that's a good thing, but after seeing the logistical challenges WDW faces on a busy day, I think tracking individuals for any nefarious purpose is probably the last thing on their list.

FP+, the Pros: We used the app to book passes about a week out, and were able to get everything we wanted. By Wednesday the parks were PACKED (beyond almost anything I've seen in the last 20 years) so having our FPs in advance at least allowed us to see our "must dos" without waiting in insane lines. Changing FP+ selections "on the fly" worked fine except on one day when the system was overwhelmed with users. We were also able to "split" our party into different FP selections without trouble (big boys on Space Mountain, little guys on Buzz, etc).

As the head of the family, I REALLY enjoyed not having to race around the park to get paper FPs, and the best part of all? NOT HAVING TO GET UP EARLY ON VACATION! That meant only riding Toy Story Mania once instead of twice, but we got to sleep in and didn't have to participate in the mad dash. HUGE WIN and much more relaxing.

FP+, the Cons: And there are many. Lines at the FP+ entrances were an ugly, insane MESS. My wife and younger son spent 15 MINUTES in the Buzz line leading to the first FP+ scanner. At Space Mountain the FP+ line backed up past the TTA and popcorn cart-- a 10 minute wait. There were few or no CMs directing traffic, leading to crowded walkways, confused and stressed out/angry guests, and considerable chaos. Finding the end of the line was difficult and a good number of people thought they were in the standby line!

Why are these lines so long? Here's what we actually observed:

1) The usual crowd of folks standing right in front of the scanner waiting for their designated FP time to arrive (sorry, pet peeve).

2) Guests not knowing what line they were in-- CMs at the scanners had to take time to explain and even argue with surly guests.

3) People with hand-written FP cards (hadn't seen these before, day guests?) There was some sort of discussion and process involved with processing these, so again, more delays.

4) Guests whose MBs didn't work at all or who mistook their FP selections and/or return times. More conversations, more delays.

5) The MagicBands themselves. I can say from experience that scanning RFID passes is much easier than trying to properly line up the MB. Perhaps the RFID chip is embedded too deeply in the waterproof band vs the thinner RFID passes? In any case, scanning the band properly was a challenge for me-- and I am a pretty on-the-ball guest with 25 years of "type A" parkgoing experience who understands there are other guests waiting behind me, a guest who lives for, strives for, and thrives on efficiency! For my kids (who are also pretty theme park savvy) it was even more of a challenge. I saw first-hand how long the process took for families who had less of a clue and that is the vast majority of average guests on vacation. Folks, as it stands now, this is not a convenient transaction for most guests and a huge strike against the promised convenience of MagicBands.

To sum it up, take all of these little individual delays, 10 seconds here, 30 seconds there, add them up and you have a HUGE bottleneck of guests waiting to scan their bands or passes at the FP+ entrances. Will this improve over time? Maybe, but unless they get the bands to work with the scanners more easily, I'm afraid this could be another nail in the coffin for the future of the bands. It just may be too tedious and cumbersome for most guests to use efficiently.

The iPhone App: A huge and total win for our family! I was able to keep track of our plans and make changes without any problems. User-friendly and convenient. I LOVED being able to make dining reservations with the app (MUCH easier than over the phone) and loved having those reservations show up on the same screen with our FPs.

Thanks to this added convenience we ate more table-service meals than usual and that's more $$$ for DisCo.

In fact, I enjoyed using the app so much that on the last day of our vacation, even though we had already moved on to Cocoa Beach for two days (Kennedy Space Center-- LOVED it but that's another story) and were supposed to be heading home, I logged in on a whim at 7am, and for the fun of it I booked day-of FPs at Epcot, including Test Track (which already had a return time of 615pm) and a sit-down lunch at San Angel. So instead of heading home, we stopped off at WDW for a "bonus day" of fun, gladly spending more $$$ in the process. And that's where Disney may recoup their investment. The app is, IMHO, pure genius.

So there you have it.

As onsite guests and AP holders, we loved having access to FP+ and look forward to more trips on Test Track, Soarin and Toy Story Mania, three attractions we've been almost totally locked out of as passholders who usually arrive midday. My only fear is that as more guests get used to planning ahead, headliner attractions will become as difficult to book as Le Cellier. That would change my opinion completely.

I hear that WDW is considering expanding access beyond 3 FP+s per day and allowing for park hopping. IMHO, both would be a mistake. I am not in favor of charging for FP+ directly, but I could see WDW limiting access to onsite guests and APers and perhaps allowing day guests to participate for a fee, much like Universal Studios. For what onsite folks and passholders are paying now, they should get added benefits, and like it or not, FP+ is a benefit. The biggest mistake would be for Disney to radically expand the number of FPs available. It would make the entire system basically worthless.

FP+, MM+ and the MBs won't be a great thing for everyone. Without them, on a busy day, you're done for, as I heard numerous visibly upset and even livid guests lamenting during our visit. One guest, on seeing the chaos at Buzz Lightyear: "You mean I waited an hour in line to get FPs (at the kiosk) just to wait another hour in line (at the FP+ entrance)?!" Assuming you are a guest who has the ability to stay onsite or make repeat visits as a passholder, as it stands now, knowledge is still power. Color me (mostly) content for now.

Last edited:

neoshinok

According to this user, you can use 3 more 'day of' FP+ through the MM+ app after using your 3 reservations and hopping to another park.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/i-am-gladly-eating-crow.882001/

I thought this was a very important detail that Disney has not publicized and most seem not to have caught on to.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I was able to use FP+ a few weeks back and enjoyed it. I was able to do the rides with longer lines faster, which meant i could do more during the day.
Somethings i would like to see changed is the tier system. Remove the tiers for the rides and do it based on what type of attraction. Having 2 FP+ for a meet and greet and 2FP+ for a ride, in my opinion, is better.

Hobnail Boot

I've been to WDW about 5 times since last August and have yet to have a problem with FP+ (the app however sucks). That said, when it was first announced I thought it was a really bad idea and that I would hate it. I didn't want to plan every aspect of my trip beforehand and I liked to wing it in the parks. After having used FP+ I have to say I love it. It's easy and I've actually been able to ride Soarin' and TSMM multiple times on my trips as opposed to just once or none. I've had little to no issue getting the fastpasses I want, however getting my entire groups fastpasses to line up can be tricky sometimes.

The only two negatives I've encountered are backed up FP return lines, only three per day at one park, and the loss of spontaniety. My favorite thing about the old system was that I could walk up to an attraction and if the line was too long or would put me past a reservation time I could grab a fastpass and come back later. Now I have them booked in advance so I can't do that anymore. Not a big deal really, but it was a nice system I had going.

Overall I enjoy the new system. The app needs serious work though. I'm an android user and I'm irked that out MDE hasn't been upgraded yet and is constantly having "blips in the network" or "unable to load right now."

HRHPrincessAriel

Here is some consolations for the FP+ naysayers.
I am a DLR fan, and last year we stood in line for just shy of an hour to grab FP for Radiator Spring Racers. Seemed silly, but the FP go quickly. I could not help but think there was something odd about whole thing. But if you ever rode RSR, you would understand why. The next day we discovered the single rider line and took advantage of it most of the day. Although the wait time on SR line was also up to an hour at times.
I'm a naysayer because I'm limited to 3, have tiers and can't PH(and get more FP)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom