FastPass+ now fully deployed to all guests - let's reset the conversation and hear your views

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
March 31 2014 was a big day for FastPass+. Offsite guests were brought into the system and can now make advance FastPass+ reservations. This now completes the guest rollout of FastPass+ - with all category of guests now able to use the system. (Note - Cast members are still not able to use advance FP+)

We've all been talking about FastPass+ and how it will impact the park experience, but all of that talk was based on incomplete information. Only now that everyone is using the system can we really see its impact.

So let's start this subject over and have a discussion about FastPass+ as it is now. Not during the limited tests, not based on what you have read from other people, but real experiences and opinions of the fully deployed system as it stands today. And let's focus on the impact of FastPass+ - this is not about whether the MyMagic+ project should have been started, or how much it cost.

Remember, all guests can now use FastPass+ with advance reservations. Now it is fair to judge the system - so let's hear it.

For any of you that have missed the latest news on the various FastPass+ rollouts - you can catch up at http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news.htm

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Curious to see what happens through spring break and easter!!!

Notable tho.. has Disney done anything to let off-site or day guests know they have access to FP+ now?
yes they are providing handouts at the parking plaza, guide map locations, guest relations, and to authorized third party ticket resellers.

sporadic

The advanced window setup is a broken implementation. We hit our 60 day window today and were able to make selections for the entire trip (7 days). As of 6:30am, Anna and Elsa were already on standby only for our first day.... 60 days out. Luckily we were able to book a day later in our trip since were going to MK twice. The system should restrict people to reservations based upon the day they're making them, not the start of their trip.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
yes they are providing handouts at the parking plaza, guide map locations, guest relations, and to authorized third party ticket resellers.

For a guest that was unaware of what FP+ is, do you think it will seem overwhelming to them as they are given a handout to learn about it? I think people will definitely be excited, but a bit overwhelmed, at least for the first time they approach the kiosk. Can off site guests use their phone to change FP+ selections? Seems Disney is doing somewhat of a decent job having CM's at kiosks to help out as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The advanced window setup is a broken implementation. We hit our 60 day window today and were able to make selections for the entire trip (7 days). As of 6:30am, Anna and Elsa were already on standby only for our first day.... 60 days out. Luckily we were able to book a day later in our trip since were going to MK twice. The system should restrict people to reservations based upon the day they're making them, not the start of their trip.
The rules are 60 days prior to checkin for the length of the stay at the resort with valid park admission. That is the same for all resort guests.

Thumper14

I am sort of off site-staying the Swan. I was able to select and change my FP+ online yesterday and today and found it went very smooth. Much better than rushing to Kiosks the day of! I want to park hop, and this allows me to make FP+ selections for the afternoon Park without fear of them being sold out. And I can now choose to wear a rubberized band on my wrist that does not even tell time. With that said, I will buy 1 or 2 of them and the matching bling. I am a sucker for Disney merchandise.

After needing to learning the whole MDE process, I feel like I have a Disney PhD!  

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
For a guest that was unaware of what FP+ is, do you think it will seem overwhelming to them as they are given a handout to learn about it? I think people will definitely be excited, but a bit overwhelmed, at least for the first time they approach the kiosk. Can off site guests use their phone to change FP+ selections? Seems Disney is doing somewhat of a decent job having CM's at kiosks to help out as well.
Yes all guests can now use My Disney Experience. Have a look at http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news.htm for all the latest. But basically all guests are now able to use My Disney Experience and make advance reservations. This is why I thought it would be interesting to reset the conversation and talk about this now everyone is using the same system.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My opinions on FP+ are well known, That said the biggest problem is the extended advanced booking window for the attractions as it causes the headliners to fill up to the detriment of the day guest or those who do not plan their vacations extensively. A more reasonable solution would have to have given onsite guests say 7 day advanced booking, AP without a hotel 24-48 hours advanced booking.

We usually choose the parks based on the weather and no one has been able to reliably predict the weather two months in advance but a week would be reasonable. Such a system would also ensure that the FP+ slots were actually USED.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We are definitely gonna need someone who is currently onsite to give us some info on how things are going. Glad @wdwmagic hit the reset button to start anew. Also glad off site guests can use the system to its full potential. Even though onsite guests are spending considerably more on their rooms, I always thought it stunk for the kids whose parents chose to stay offsite and were loosing out on getting FP+ for the "hard to get" attractions.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It follows the same logic ADRs do.. you book from the START of your trip and allow you to make ressies for the length of your stay

flynnibus

Premium Member
The rules are 60 days prior to checkin for the length of the stay at the resort with valid park admission. That is the same for all resort guests.

Yes, but by that point they've already missed their advance window :) It's going to take a good bit of time before this larger audience becomes fully aware and taking advantage of the perk. And a large part of the audience never will...

It should put a big hit on the kiosk lines tho.. the app access should help with that.

Thumper14

I really like the new MDE and found it very easy to make ADRs and FP+ selections prior to my visit.
I lucked into a BOG dinner reservation on anniversary night, made 4 more ADRs to the other themed dining that I always seemed to miss before. The FP+ system is awesome and a great way to make afternoon selections when they are needed most. And you can changed them, copy them to family members, things you never could before!
Thank you Disney. Thank you, WDWMagic, for keeping us informed! I still cannot link my Swan reservation though, but who needs to now?

Magical 33rd Honeymoon!  

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It follows the same logic ADRs do.. you book from the START of your trip and allow you to make ressies for the length of your stay

The fault there is you assume logic has something to do with ADR's :), Like FP+ Always thought ADR's should have been a maximum of 1 week out for Onsite, 2 Days for AP and 1 day for everyone else.

yeti

We should have a sticky thread based only on firsthand experiences with the system. Or is that what this is?

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We should have a sticky thread based only on firsthand experiences with the system. Or is that what this is?
Yep it is for first hand experience and any other discussion that relates to the system now that is fully live. The important thing is that we are no longer talking about 'what ifs'.

BigThunderMatt

This is a great April Fools' Day prank… my hat off to you my friends…

Considering this did in fact go live, yesterday, it is not a prank. Cast Members are now the only people who cannot book in advance and it will be sometime before we are able to, which many are quite bitter about. Not only that, but unless they are staying at a resort, once the implementation does go live for Cast they will only be able to book 7 days out, 30 if they are staying at a resort. What's the point?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My opinions on FP+ are well known, That said the biggest problem is the extended advanced booking window for the attractions as it causes the headliners to fill up to the detriment of the day guest or those who do not plan their vacations extensively. A more reasonable solution would have to have given onsite guests say 7 day advanced booking, AP without a hotel 24-48 hours advanced booking.

We usually choose the parks based on the weather and no one has been able to reliably predict the weather two months in advance but a week would be reasonable. Such a system would also ensure that the FP+ slots were actually USED.
I've just had a look on MDX, can I can make a reservation for all the headliners today with the exception of Soarin. This is at 11:30am WDW time. Not bad at all for a same day.

sporadic

I meant broken as in the design, in regards to user experience. There are cases were it just doesn't work and even with a 60 day window there are times when you may not be able to get what you want. For instance, FP's for A&E are all gone for today and tomorrow (60 & 61 days out). If we were just going for 2 days, the system wouldn't have worked for us. I feel really bad for AP holders and offsite guests with just a 30 day window. It will be a year or so until they can get a FP for anything new after it comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom