FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpinkc

Magic bands can be scanned really quickly. No swiping up the correct app and screen required.

I guess Disney had a good solution to this and decided to do away with it. Paris is probably mostly day guests so it would be hard to get the bands on wrists, but in Florida free bands with the room worked really well.

Offering bands with replaceable batteries would expand adoption, even in Paris, and improve throughput. I think the execs are too busy spending their money to think about anything, or even hire someone to think about anything.
Dont you mean counting the Money, they sure havent spent the Lions Share on the parks.....

Bairstow

Best outfit in the world at doing what, exactly? Adding no new ride capacity for 20 years? Building rides like Navi, Smugglers Run, And Tron?

Imagineering’s best “imaginee” in most people’s eyes is a guy who led one of the best creative movie directors ever in buying a new, third party ride system. Using an existing iP to theme a small area. Then he built a hotel.

Before RotR, Disney hadn’t created a ride from the ground up that was truly amazing since Indy. While Universal Installed a string of great E tickets.
Great E-Tickets like Jimmy Fallon and Fast and the Furious: Supercharged?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
More like Hagrid's, Velocicoaster, Forbidden Journey and Gringott's.

But it is hard to compete with rides like Slinky Dog Dash, especially with all that gloriously exposed track.
Yes, every ride should be an E-Ticket.

Oh, no, the received wisdom is that parks need Cs and Ds.

But when they get built, they get dinged for not being an E.

Hawg G

When you’re the top of the pile, and your attendance is soaring, E tickets are needed. They didn’t build them for decades. And now a 50 year old E ticket has the longest wait it’s ever had. That makes no sense.

Movielover

But it is hard to compete with rides like Slinky Dog Dash, especially with all that gloriously exposed track.
"Oh the horror!!! We can see coaster track and supports!!!! My my the end is now! Won't someone think of the children! Even though it perfectly fits the theme and setting of the surrounding land its a horrible addition just based purely on the fact that it's exposed coaster track and supports!"

tenor.gif

I can't be the only one here tired of hearing this straw dog argument?

RSoxNo1

"Oh the horror!!! We can see coaster track and supports!!!! My my the end is now! Won't someone think of the children! Even though it perfectly fits the theme and setting of the surrounding land its a horrible addition just based purely on the fact that it's exposed coaster track and supports!"

tenor.gif

Straw man?

UNCgolf

tenor.gif

Slinky Dog Dash doesn't perfectly fit the theme and setting of the land, which is the problem. They could have built an exposed track coaster that did (make it look like a Hot Wheels track or something) but they didn't. It's a very lazy design -- but that's true of everything in Toy Story Land.

Last edited:

MurphyJoe

Since we're completely off subject and comparing Disney and Universal, a hallmark of Universal Creative is wisely utilizing budgets to do more with less versus WDI spending top dollar on everything. How much better would Hagrid's be if the track was hidden as much as possible? Or if the velociraptor statues, which are briefly seen, were animatronics instead on Velocicoaster? Would either of these be worth a shorter ride so elements can be plused?

Don't forget Seven Dwarfs in the Magic Kingdom was originally slated to be longer with more show scenes which were cut due to budget constraints.

Concerning Supercharged over at Universal. It's the latest in Universal's tradition of making stand-alone attractions in Orlando from segments on their Hollywood studio tour. Doesn't make it a good attraction, but it also wasn't developed completely from scratch specifically for the park.

Movielover

Slinky Dog Dash doesn't perfectly fit the theme and setting of the land, which is the problem. They could have built an exposed track coaster that did (make it look like a Hot Wheels track or something) but they didn't. It's a very lazy design -- but that's true of everything in Toy Story Land.
You know realistic toy coasters exist right? Look up Coaster Dynamics. Slinky fits perfectly as a toy.

1626653122433.png

UNCgolf

You know realistic toy coasters exist right? Look up Coaster Dynamics. Slinky fits perfectly as a toy.

View attachment 573200

That's a pretty big cop out. There are toy versions of almost everything; that doesn't mean they should throw up whatever they want and just claim it's a toy -- especially since Coaster Dynamix didn't exist when Andy was a kid. At the very least they could have made it look like K'nex for some sort of theme.

Considering how poorly designed all of TSL is, though, it doesn't really matter.

Movielover

That's a pretty big cop out. There are toy versions of almost everything; that doesn't mean they should throw up whatever they want and just claim it's a toy -- especially since Coaster Dynamix didn't exist when Andy was a kid. At the very least they could have made it look like K'nex for some sort of theme.

Considering how poorly designed all of TSL is, though, it doesn't really matter.
tenor.gif

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't think you understand what moving the goalposts means.

You are free to believe that Slinky Dog Dash (as well as the rest of Toy Story Land) has a well thought out, consistent theme.
It’s a barely thought out way to build a “land” on the cheap. They even had to go back and add queue covering to the saucer ride because it was so bad.

pdude81

Is there any further information on how DPA and standby pass is going in Paris? I took at the DLP forums here but there's not many posts in the last week. Normally after an article blowing up the practice I'd expect other sites either to pile on or post updates.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A lot of it is the difference between Disney having a dedicated in-house engineering company that, most of the time, is the best outfit of its kind in the world and Universal Creative being a relatively small and efficient office that largely relies on 3rd party contractors to do its work.

WDI is super expensive and super slow but what they produce is almost always top quality.

And sure, Hagrids might have taken Disney a lot longer to build, but assuming Disney would even build such a thing it probably a.) Wouldn't have any exposed track, b.) wouldn't be as horribly unreliable as it is and c.) Would have world-class animatronics instead of the nice, but second-rate ones it has now.

That's not necessarily a jab at Universal, but the two companies have very different ideas about what an acceptable finished attraction looks like.
I think you are living in the past a bit here…most of Disney’s better offerings in recent decades has been gleaned of third party partnerships…either with story or with funds to use tech they shy away from in Anaheim/Orlando. That’s Cameron and OLC…for easy examples. WDI is going more and more safe, typical and flat as time goes on…most likely due to lack of accountability/leadership and tightening budget controls.
Best outfit in the world at doing what, exactly? Adding no new ride capacity for 20 years? Building rides like Navi, Smugglers Run, And Tron?

Imagineering’s best “imaginee” in most people’s eyes is a guy who led one of the best creative movie directors ever in buying a new, third party ride system. Using an existing iP to theme a small area. Then he built a hotel.

Before RotR, Disney hadn’t created a ride from the ground up that was truly amazing since Indy. While Universal Installed a string of great E tickets.
A tad harsh…but not entirely overboard.

and people need to ride that Star Wars ride…like really get on it if you haven’t been and pay attention if you have. Then the conversation will be more centered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom