FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronml

Supposedly not, from what I have heard. FP+ system was going to be retired last year regardless and the new system could actually have been ready for months as it was supposed to launch last year. Supposedly that made their decision really easy to integrate Park Pass into FP+ since it was going to be "temporary" anyways, why not repurpose dead code.
FP+ wasn’t going to be retired pre-COVID. At least not from what was indicated by insiders here. My understanding is that TDO was planning on monetizing some amount of FP+ inventory (e.g. “We’re all out of free FP+ for SDMT, but you can buy one for $25”, etc.), but getting rid of free FP altogether wasn’t planned AFAIK until COVID happened.

ToTBellHop

Supposedly not, from what I have heard. FP+ system was going to be retired last year regardless and the new system could actually have been ready for months as it was supposed to launch last year. Supposedly that made their decision really easy to integrate Park Pass into FP+ since it was going to be "temporary" anyways, why not repurpose dead code.
Glad they’ve been working on it. I’m sure it’s the most magical code on earth.

Disney Glimpses

Glad they’ve been working on it.
I believe @marni1971 may have been the one that said COVID stopped its 2020 launch.

FP+ wasn’t going to be retired pre-COVID. At least not from what was indicated by insiders here. My understanding is that TDO was planning on monetizing some amount of FP+ inventory (e.g. “We’re all out of free FP+ for SDMT, but you can buy one for $25”, etc.), but getting rid of free FP altogether wasn’t planned AFAIK until COVID happened.
That's not true, if you scroll back in this thread you'll find it. We also have no idea if there is going to be a free tier or not. Using a new system doesn't mean a free tier isn't going to be a part of it.

flutas

Not sure what you're referring to in the first part of your post, but I had not seen that the API had been updated.
Oh, just using your comment as a springboard, and adding a comment about how slowly Disney moves.

You're fairly on point with the comment about it being feature flagged. The code for the new system has been in place for a while, slowly being worked on in the app. The last MDE update added a lot to it, but I think there will be at least one more app update before it's enabled.

They at least did cut off people's access to their staging environments last year... lol

Disney Glimpses

Oh, just using your comment as a springboard, and adding a comment about how slowly Disney moves.

You're fairly on point with the comment about it being feature flagged. The code for the new system has been in place for a while, slowly being worked on in the app. The last MDE update added a lot to it, but I think there will be at least one more app update before it's enabled.

They at least did cut off people's access to their staging environments last year... lol
Ah, thanks for that clarification. That's promising; sounds like they were just waiting for normal operations to launch this new product then. I know people say standby isn't bad without FP, but I consider 75 minutes pretty bad. Although, outside of Splash Mountain, the waits look fine. I just wonder what they look like without any capacity limits, it's been so long since before we had no FP.

HairyChest

If fastpass is coming back, distancing and indoor masks are going away to fit standby into its regular line, no restrictions. Sounds like we will hear about this within the next week.

pdude81

If fastpass is coming back, distancing and indoor masks are going away to fit standby into its regular line, no restrictions. Sounds like we will hear about this within the next week.
Distancing and masks are two different things. They could still keep the masking indoors (if they wanted) while removing the distancing requirements and opening up FP queues.

Disney Glimpses

My guess is paid FP, fireworks and removal of remaining COVID measures happen in very close succession to each other; with COVID measures being first to go.

It's quite clear as they are disassembling COVID measures day by day that they are working towards an ultimate date. The machine is set in motion (barring any changes). Not an endorsement for or against this, just an observation.

MickeyLuv'r

Ah, thanks for that clarification. That's promising; sounds like they were just waiting for normal operations to launch this new product then. I know people say standby isn't bad without FP, but I consider 75 minutes pretty bad. Although, outside of Splash Mountain, the waits look fine. I just wonder what they look like without any capacity limits, it's been so long since before we had no FP.
Depends a little if it is really 75, or posted 75.
It also depends a little if it is moving-very-SLOWLY 75 or moving continuously 75, with interesting details to see along the way.
It also depends if we're talking a peak of 75 minutes for a short time each day, or 75 minutes steady from 9am-9pm.

By that I mean park strategy always plays a role. A downside of FP was that it changes the natural distribution of people in the parks. Without FP, many folks felt less of an urge to arrive early/stay late. FP = to some extent people arrive earlier and stay later than they do when they don't have any FP. (or fireworks).

Disney Glimpses

Can anyone confirm/deny that this is consistent with the old FP+ product? Or does this look different:

1623362691148.png

flutas

nickys

Premium Member
Can anyone confirm/deny that this is consistent with the old FP+ product? Or does this look different:

View attachment 563177
Fairly sure @flutas already posted this a month or so ago and we deciphered most of the categories over on what was the main thread for paid fastpasses.

It’s basically all the categories that are currently used for giving “fastpass” return times. Or what we should be calling “alternative access” return times I believe.

aaronml

That's not true
What specifically is not true?

The FP+ system handles DAS, Guest Service Recovery, and many other use cases (now including Park Pass) beyond just Standard FP+. It wasn’t going to be retired (not will it be) anytime soon. The same system powers Standby Pass at certain international parks, as well as Disney Premier Access (paid FP) in Shanghai.

The new paid FP system does have new APIs, etc., however the core FP+ system is still involved, from what I’ve been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom