FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJM

The waits would have been far less for those attractions without FP operating.
I don’t believe that to be true but then what I consider a long wait might be what you consider not very long. That’s arbitrary and in the eye of the Disney goer. So without FP maybe Space Mountain in July would’ve been an hour as opposed to 2 hrs by 11am? Yeah I’d rather have that FP for space mnt and wait 15 mins. Same with FOP at AK. Face it, FP when used as intended for major attractions beats waiting in those long lines of an hour + Should it be allowed for ALL attractions? No probably not and maybe herein is where the real issue lies. But having a FP option for major attractions is likely not going away. I don’t see how Disney can justify taking that away, but we will see...

Goof-Man

For me FastPass is a nostalgic, there was nothing like making plans on the bus from the resort as to what attraction you were going to head to get a fastpass for it. I like the idea of a digital version, but when it came time to book what parks and what attractions I was going to do at what specific times - six months out - it became a highly scheduled vacation which I did not like.

For me a the next-gen fastpass system is something I can choose to do at a kiosk or on my phone, but not something that I need to do six months pre trip. I like DisneyWorld because I was to escape a highly scheduled environment.

Touchdown

Sounds extremely complicated, confusing and expensive. Exactly what WDW is known for 🙄.

It’s going to be interesting, the parks that rake in the cash on this sell a “whole day” stress free experience that incentives staying the whole day.

This piecemeal FP sounds like it will do the opposite, the people who pay will use their benefit and then leave, and if they add set times too this will create stress. Meanwhile, people who won’t pay will see longer lines and most will simply leave do to long lines with a poor taste in their mouth. In short it sounds way too complicated, and not expansive nor carefree enough to attract most people. It’s going to look like a cheap way to make a buck. Someone earlier compared it to loot boxes in video games and honestly it doesn’t seem that far off.

Last edited:

RobbinsDad

I thought they’d be completely different...but the hinted “speed” they’re returning makes me think they may want to play a little PR and ride it out for one more year.

angles:
1. Fill the parks after the dragon has been slayed...you know - “for the 50th”? - and slappy stakes his claim.
2. They’ll be “full price” with no real breaks...which means it softens the blow next year for whatever increases the new passes will 100% have
3. Perhaps they don’t see that much traffic coming at this point in the CRS numbers? Not worried about on-property...but definitely off.
4. Once they’re back to 50,000 employees...it’s “go time”. Time to pack it in.
5. Part of getting more people in could be the development of whatever successor to fastpass+ they’ve decided on? It could be a “lab rat” scenario. They have certainly done that before (the rats are the last to know)
That's an excellent point about the 50th. There's going to be so much emphasis on this, plus the "we're fully open, we're safe, come back" marketing that rocking the boat (with FP+, lots of AP changes, etc.) might damper the celebration. Summer 2022 is when we might see real, substantial, and probably not welcome changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t believe that to be true but then what I consider a long wait might be what you consider not very long. That’s arbitrary and in the eye of the Disney goer. So without FP maybe Space Mountain in July would’ve been an hour as opposed to 2 hrs by 11am? Yeah I’d rather have that FP for space mnt and wait 15 mins. Same with FOP at AK. Face it, FP when used as intended for major attractions beats waiting in those long lines of an hour + Should it be allowed for ALL attractions? No probably not and maybe herein is where the real issue lies. But having a FP option for major attractions is likely not going away. I don’t see how Disney can justify taking that away, but we will see...
The current fastpass system was somewhat effective for the heavy crush rides...it Just shouldn't have been extended to everything.

that’s why the first one worked better overall.

the tiers are embarrassing as well. No way to put lipstick on that.

requiring people to walk to a machine was a very simple way to eliminate that embarrassment...in practice. Minimal effort that also helped work off your 3,300 calorie character breakfast

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds extremely complicated, confusing and expensive. Exactly what WDW is known for 🙄.

It’s going to be interesting, the parks that rake in the cash on this sell a “whole day” stress free experience that incentives staying the whole day.

This piecemeal FP sounds like it will do the opposite, the people who pay will use their benefit and then leave, and if they add set times to when this is good will create stress. Meanwhile, people who won’t pay will see longer lines and most will simply leave do to long lines with a poor taste in their mouth. In short it sounds way too complicated, and not expansive nor carefree enough to attract most people. It’s going to look like a cheap way to make a buck. Someone earlier compared it to loot boxes in video games and honestly it doesn’t seem that far off.

yep...there’s enough powder in that barrel to fire a cannonball all the way to Burbank 💣

Jedijax719

One thing's for sure. It's impossible to plan a trip and know what the hell is going on and how anything works. We used the books and our travel agent helped us a lot in 2018. Now, how do you even approach a trip without anyone knowing what is going on? That's worse than any new system they will end up bringing in. We're in a total transformation right now.

RobbinsDad

One thing's for sure. It's impossible to plan a trip and know what the hell is going on and how anything works. We used the books and our travel agent helped us a lot in 2018. Now, how do you even approach a trip without anyone knowing what is going on? That's worse than any new system they will end up bringing in. We're in a total transformation right now.
It is a strange feeling for sure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I have a feeling that’s most of the reason why their forecasts are not nearly as good overall as the praetorians believe.

if there was so much demand...given the vax increases and restrictions lapsing...port and Dixie would NOT be mothballed on Memorial Day...

nope.

the AP rumors...if true...would confirm my assertion

Touchdown

I think there is a summer rush, and then a 50th rush in the fall, but after that I suspect things level off.

Except for DVC where members have to spend or watch their points disappear.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is a strange feeling for sure.
Basically it’s the worst of all scenarios as far as planning/booking a trip as it’s ever been.
And I’m sure people want to go...but it’s a minefield to navigate.

I’ll admit...I know every square inch of that place and I had to think more than I care to in February to book for April.

Good time...but why do I have to “earn it” so much and pay premium?
Cause I’m dumb.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think there is a summer rush, and then a 50th rush in the fall, but after that I suspect things level off.

Except for DVC where members have to spend or watch their points disappear.

ehhh...Disney is longterm planning for most.
The diehards show...but for most it’s a 12-18 months lead time. Check your calendar on that.

DVC still has point restrictions in place. Their fault for overpacking the system.

so some have banks they have to use and others have points they aren’t allowed to use

RobbinsDad

Basically it’s the worst of all scenarios as far as planning/booking a trip as it’s ever been.
And I’m sure people want to go...but it’s a minefield to navigate.

I’ll admit...I know every square inch of that place and I had to think more than I care to in February to book for April.

Good time...but why do I have to “earn it” so much and pay premium?
Cause I’m dumb.
We're going in December and there's so many questions. Like will park hoppers be able to leave their reserved parks before 2? Will ADR's go back to 180 days between now and then, and if so how much notice will we receive about the change? Will there even be a MVMCP? And of course, FP+, Genie, or whatever is coming...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The naysayers of FP+ are generally the people who just don’t understand how to use it so therefore it’s “stupid” and they have to “wait longer” than the rest of us FP enthusiasts. In life there are always the doers and the complainers. The doers figure it out because it’s obviously to ones advantage to do so and no one is going to do it for them. The complainers want someone else to do it so they can say it’s too hard and complain. Perseverance is not a crime. It’s how the doers get ahead. Literally in this case
No, we understand what it is -- a ride rationing system -- and don't like how it has made a trip to WDW more like a WWII campaign than a vacation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We're going in December and there's so many questions. Like will park hoppers be able to leave their reserved parks before 2? Will ADR's go back to 180 days between now and then, and if so how much notice will we receive about the change? Will there even be a MVMCP? And of course, FP+, Genie, or whatever is coming...

yep...and that’s assuming they staff/open all the food venues by then

plawren2

I don't think that's quite accurate. More like "Disney says it doesn't bring in enough revenues and are finding a way to monetize it more directly".
FP was not needed in 2020 to present, once capacity increases in coming months you can be sure WDW will look at FP options to reintroduce in some shape and form (including free or fee options)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom