Faster than the speed of gravity...I don't think so.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally I am kind of sick of all of Disney's false advertising.

On one attraction I was supposed to be taken by train to a base camp at the foot of Everest and I wound up in a gift shop.

Another promised to get me to an Aerosmith concert really fast and yet again I wound up in a gift shop.

Yet another promised to take me to Mars and where did it end? You guessed it another gift shop.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Nemo14

On one attraction I was supposed to be taken by train to a base camp at the foot of Everest and I wound up in a gift shop.

Another promised to get me to an Aerosmith concert really fast and yet again I wound up in a gift shop.

Yet another promised to take me to Mars and where did it end? You guessed it another gift shop.

icon_rolleyes.gif
So what did you buy me?

sublimesting

Speed of gravity can be infinite as it would be in a vaccuum or if the object were infintesimally small, however, for our purposes on earth you would stop accelarating when you reach terminal velocity - where the force of your speed going down (force of gravity) equals the drag going up, thusly your avergae skydiver reaches a speed of 120 mph unless he makes his space smaller and reduces drag (the world record is 614 mph)....and that is a run-on sentence.

tigsmom

icon_rolleyes.gif

So what did you buy me?

You beat me to it! :lol:

sublimesting

icon_rolleyes.gif

Personally, I am beginning to suspect something about the characters in the parks....

Nemo14

Speed of gravity can be infinite as it would be in a vaccuum or if the object were infintesimally small, however, for our purposes on earth you would stop accelarating when you reach terminal velocity - where the force of your speed going down (force of gravity) equals the drag going up, thusly your avergae skydiver reaches a speed of 120 mph unless he makes his space smaller and reduces drag (the world record is 614 mph)....and that is a run-on sentence.

It has nothing to do with terminal velocity.

Where's Bill Nye when you need him?!!!

jbulkley78

gravity facts...

The thing that we need to remember here, which someone touched on, is that all of the definite 'rules' about gravity apply in a vaccum. Once you apply external forces, such as air - the rules aren't exact. The easiest way to put it is if you drop a brick and a feather at the same time at your desk the brick is most definitely going to hit the floor (or your foot if you're not paying attention) first. But if you do the same thing in a vaccum they will land at the same time. All Disney is claiming is that they accelerate the elevator faster - for a very brief period - than it would otherwise accelerate on it's own considering the current conditions in the elevator shaft. We can't prove or disprove that statement simply because we don't have the ability to go drop one of the elevators and see how long it takes to reach the bottom and smash into lots of tiny ebay treasures.

TestTrack

The thing that we need to remember here, which someone touched on, is that all of the definite 'rules' about gravity apply in a vaccum. Once you apply external forces, such as air - the rules aren't exact. The easiest way to put it is if you drop a brick and a feather at the same time at your desk the brick is most definitely going to hit the floor (or your foot if you're not paying attention) first. But if you do the same thing in a vaccum they will land at the same time. All Disney is claiming is that they accelerate the elevator faster - for a very brief period - than it would otherwise accelerate on it's own considering the current conditions in the elevator shaft. We can't prove or disprove that statement simply because we don't have the ability to go drop one of the elevators and see how long it takes to reach the bottom and smash into lots of tiny ebay treasures.

While what you posted is correct, I think its easy to show that the elevator is being accelerated faster than gravity's natural acceleration. Considering you can hold a coin and it will go towards the ceiling, or your necklace/glasses/camera/whatever will life off your neck towards the ceiling, this shows that you are being pulled down by the elevator faster than gravity. You don't need to time the freefall to demonstrate the acceleration in a comparison sense.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.

icon_rolleyes.gif

HA,HA,HA Great job Yoda you made my day. All this terminal velocity stuff has me wanting to see some Mythbusters!

jbulkley78

While what you posted is correct, I think its easy to show that the elevator is being accelerated faster than gravity's natural acceleration. Considering you can hold a coin and it will go towards the ceiling, or your necklace/glasses/camera/whatever will life off your neck towards the ceiling, this shows that you are being pulled down by the elevator faster than gravity. You don't need to time the freefall to demonstrate the acceleration in a comparison sense.

I agree with you 100%. I guess I should have more clearly taken a position in my post. I'm very sure that it's true. The 1 and only time I went on tot (I'm not really into free fall type rides) I had just bought a coffee mug, in a box and a bag, and I put it on my lap. Somewhere near the bottom I had to reach straight out in front of me to grab the bag that was now at eye level... It was darn cool.

CrashNet

One thing everyone has to keep in mind is the cab you ride in enters the drop shaft and is attached to a second moving vehicle. With the right amount of power, any object can be moved down (or up for that matter) faster than the speed of gravity. This is the case with Tower of Terror: the ride pushes the drop car down at a speed faster than gravity. This is one of the reasons why before they added the air vents the original tests blew out part of the walls of the drop shaft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom