Faster than the speed of gravity...I don't think so.

musketeer

Original Poster
I saw one of the videos played on the resort channel, and when talking about the Tower of Terror, it says "faster than the speed of gravity." Not only is that not true....THAT'S NOT EVEN POSSIBLE.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
What it means (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're pulled down faster than natural free-fall which would be considered faster than gravity. Am I correct?

krankenstein

What it means (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're pulled down faster than natural free-fall which would be considered faster than gravity. Am I correct?

That is my understanding as well. The car is actually pulled down faster then you would fall if you just stepped off the 13th floor. That is the reason why you are lifted off your seat as you fall.

As far as he OP goes, I took Geology in college, so I have no idea what the "speed of gravity" is or if it truly exists.:shrug:

yankspy

As far as I know, yes, that's what they mean.
I believe that is what they mean as well. However, Musketeer is right. Newton claimed that the speed of gravity was infinite. Einstein's relativity(I forget if it was special or general in which he spoke of this) states that the speed of gravity is the same as the speed of light.

Moustronaut

Fallen Angel nailed it. The cars in the elevator are pulled by cable accelerating downward faster than the normal gravity acceleration on Earth (32 ft/s^2, 9.8 m/s^2 for our metric friends). Your car accelerates just faster than Earth's gravity accelerates your butt which is why it comes out of the seat.:ROFLOL:

totben

if you were to drop something down right with the falling elevator, the falling elevator would reach the bottom first becasue it is being pulled downward,

hold something in your hand, then let it fall a little bit.
now hold the same object in your hand and move it the same distance downward as fast as you can.

congratulations,
you have just moved something faster than gravity would naturally allow.

take that same concept, and make it a lot bigger and make it a thrill ride.
not faster than gravity because gravity is infinite and all that physics crap,

but faster than gravity would naturally let you fall in that distance in that time frame.

but what do i know, i'm just a bellhop at the Hollywood Tower.

and for the record, its 1.3 times the pull of gravity.

kimmychad

I saw one of the videos played on the resort channel, and when talking about the Tower of Terror, it says "faster than the speed of gravity." Not only is that not true....THAT'S NOT EVEN POSSIBLE.

umm yeah it is true and yes its possible. the camcorder i had around my neck almost hit me in the face because i was descending faster than it was.

musketeer

Original Poster
umm yeah it is true and yes its possible. the camcorder i had around my neck almost hit me in the face because i was descending faster than it was.

ummm...no, it's not. As everyone above responded to my original post, the speed of gravity (the speed of gravity's influence) is the speed of light.

I understand what they were getting at now, what is meant is not the SPEED of gravity, but the ACCELERATION due to gravity.

Gravity accelerates you at 32.174 ft / sec / sec, so in this attraction, if it is 1.3x that as stated above, then you accelerate at 1.3 x 32.174 ft / sec / sec.

But it isn't all that specatular, because lots of roller coasters accelerate you downwards at a higher rate than gravity would during hills that push you up in your seat ( and you don't even need to be going down to feel it )

TestTrack

ummm...no, it's not. As everyone above responded to my original post, the speed of gravity (the speed of gravity's influence) is the speed of light.

I understand what they were getting at now, what is meant is not the SPEED of gravity, but the ACCELERATION due to gravity.

Gravity accelerates you at 32.174 ft / sec / sec, so in this attraction, if it is 1.3x that as stated above, then you accelerate at 1.3 x 32.174 ft / sec / sec.

But it isn't all that specatular, because lots of roller coasters accelerate you downwards at a higher rate than gravity would during hills that push you up in your seat ( and you don't even need to be going down to feel it )

It is special because very few, if any, other free fall rides do so. They simply rely on gravity to accelerate the car downward and you become very close to weightless for a period of time.

On a roller coaster you feel this effect while increasing in altitude while accelerating downward. You will not get the same effect on a rollercoaster as TOT. TOT accelerates you faster than gravity downward while decreasing in altitude. If you can find me a roller coaster that does that I will be impressed.

As for the expression used in the commercial...yes its technically incorrect. But if this bothers you, be prepared for a lifetime of it. Scientific terms are used incorrectly all the time on the news/TV shows/ETC. In fact, I'll wager that you have made the same type of mistake before in your life.

828tnt

perhaps stating " faster than the EARTH'S gravity.." would be more accurate. since gravity occurs at the speed of light, we measure it's force by acceleration and an objects speed from its force.

i'm not a physicist, but gravity is far different off of the surface of our planet....

there was truth in both statements.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Yes its quite possible - I have fond memories of my sunglasses (attached around my neck by a chord) floating in front of my face as we hit a big drop !!!!

Incidently - astronauts practice for weightlessness in space in an aircraft which dives faster than the earths gravitational pull - thus creating a (brief) weightless environment

brkgnews

Plain and simple... "Faster than the speed of terminal velocity when measured base upon earth's gravitational field and atmospheric pressure" doesn't have the same ring to it in a TV spot.

tigsmom

Not everything is meant to be taken literally :rolleyes:

MonorailFreak

Gravity is an acceleration and the speed at which you drop is a velocity. So yeah, you guys have pretty much debunked this statement. God I hate that freakin girl on the Resort TV Loop. I'm watching it right now, actually!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom