Fast Pass: Good or Bad?

yodathefrog

I love how Disney World had no long waits before Fastpass... :hammer: I can remember waiting in line for Splash Mountain for 3 hours once...before Fastpass. I personally use it all the time, and use it to it's maximum. I don't mind making a short detour to save a 1-2 hour wait later in the day. If you're mad about Fastpass, it might just be because you haven't used it to your own advantage. Personally, I like it!!! :D

GenerationX

As a parent with three boys, I love the FastPass system. We'll go on some of the "lesser" attractions while waiting for our FastPasses to activate. Works great for us.

One thing I found interesting during our trip to DLR during spring break: the crowds were so big (Splash's stand by line had a 145 minute wait at one point) that people were waiting in 15 minute lines to get FastPasses! I saw this for both Splash and the Indiana Jones Adventure. The CMs had to put up temporary ropes to create queues just to get FastPasses.

Halfling418

If you've got 6 or 7 people, like I usually do, with siblings that have a high potential to bicker when they get bored....fastpass is a VERY good thing.

My older sister knows how to work the system beautifully, and I don't have to worry about a thing. She's a WDW expert and has been there countless times, and worked there as well.

But yes, it's true that some attractions don't need fastpass, and don't have them for that reason.

(hehe random, but have you ever gotten in front of everyone in the Haunted Mansion because you know where the secret door opens in the circular room? it's the funniest thing. And try knocking loudly on the wall--stand against it and knock behind you--in that room, and everyone will think it's part of the attraction. I did it and the whole room gasped and looked around, while I was smirking--and my sis shot me a nasty look. :D )

Brooke

When I have a Fastpass in my hand on a busy day I think that Fastpass is just about the best invention ever!

BUT when I don't have a Fastpass and I'm in the stand-by lane watching countless Fastpass people on the ride while I've barely moved an inch in line I think it's just about the worst invention ever!

So I suppose I would say Fastpass is OKAY. It has pros and cons.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
bork said:
The other downside of Fastpass is that it makes the parks feel busier. When people get a Fastpass, then they're not in line. Instead, they're in the walkways, restuarants, shops, etc. So the parks feel busier, since fewer people are in the queues. This was more of a problem at Disneyland, since the park is smaller, with narrower walkways. That's why they scaled back the number of Fastpass attractions.

That isn't a bad thing, thats why Fastpass was created. If you are in line, you aren't buying anything.

MissM

I love FastPass. And from Disney's standpoint, it's marketing genius. Why? Because instead of spending time waiting in line, people are off looking in shops, buying snacks or eating meals. It's brilliant.

I love getting a FP, then going to lunch, riding the PeopleMover and then heading back for my time. It's so much nicer to spend the "wait" time wandering around, eating or riding something else rather then being stuck in a queue.

Some rides don't need it - *cough, HM, cough* - but for the majority of the ones they have it for, it's just brilliant.
-m

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
darbiemc said:
I'm not saying at all disney resorts only the deluxe resorts.

I bet your the sort of person that thinks WL shouldnt have to share a boat with FW :eek:

What about Home away from Home guests, or VC guests surely they deserve privillages greater than the one-off 4 nights in a de luxe guest?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Briefly, we save for years for each trip to Orlando. We have 2 weeks to do WDW, USF/IOA, Busch, SeaWorld, KSC and anything with the time left. Anything that lets us do more/save time is definatley a good thing.

Plus we always do an attraction again without fastpass if it has a worthwhile queue to see. Thinking about it - does the Test Track FP queue still zoom you through the indoor themed area, and the standby have you queue outside? Never figured that one out...

bbll24

I think the Fastpass is a great idea. The only bad thing is when a ride breaks down. For instance, we were waiting in the standby line for RnRC before closing around 9:30. The ride broke down earlier in the day and the fastpasses were good from the starting time to close. So all of the people who had fastpasses waited until right before close to get in line. Needless to say, we had to stand in line for an hour which was originally supposed to be 30 minutes.

I like the Universal express pass thingy. That program works at Universal because they only have three resort hotels. I can't imagine Disney trying to do that, there would be nobody in the standby line! :)

KaliSplash

Thrawn said:
That isn't a bad thing, thats why Fastpass was created. If you are in line, you aren't buying anything.

Yes, this is why Fast Pass was created. So you could buy more things. And yes it is highly skilled marketing. I hated it initially but I am slowly coming around on some attractions, most specifically, Test Track, the standby line from h___!

darbiemc said:
I'm not saying at all disney resorts only the deluxe resorts.
Let's take it to another level!

If you stay offsite, you no longer get to use Fastpasses.
If you're at a Value Resort, you can use the system as is.
If you're at a Moderate Resort, you can have up to three Fastpasses at once.
If you stay at a Deluxe Resort and want to ride, they will kick everyone else off the ride and give you a private ride!

Seriously, I have been extremely pleased that Disney does NOT give additional Fastpass perks to those who spend more money. Six Flags charges you additional money to use their pathetic line-skipping perk. Universal gives you huge additional line-skipping perks if you stay at their hotel. Disney does not. Why don't they? I believe it's simply to keep goodwill with the general public. Disney's perks, while valuable to their guests (i.e. early entry) are generally invisible to Joe Offsite (as long as you don't go to the early entry park).

Disney did a great thing with Fastpass - yes, they get a few more sales from people not in line (though from what I hear it's only been a marginal difference), but primarily it's simply a way to enhance the guest experience. (Which, of course, leads to additional visits, more revenue for them, etc.)

Everyone wins with Fastpass! (Except those who don't use it... I once gave two FPs I wasn't going to use to a couple of people who were getting in a 60-minute standby line. They thanked me, then asked "how much did you have to pay for these?" Oh well...)

CaliSurfer182

So if the biggest con to a fastpass system is keeping the standby line from moving..........what is the biggest pro..........walking by all the standby line victims like a VIP? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom