FAREWELL WISHES (an appreciation thread)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
In honor of Wishes farewell, I thought it'd be nice to all reminisce on our favorite Wishes memories and moments. A fond farewell. A thanks for the memories thread. :)

What I remember most about my first trip to Disney World way back in 2005 is watching Wishes. I was about to be a senior in high school and I was traveling with my best friend and her family. We both had Disney princess tiaras atop our head and had given up on wearing any makeup that week. The whole trip we sort of let go of that "teenager attitude" and were truly kids at heart.

I remember bawling my eyes out at the part where Peter goes, "I wish we'd never have to grow up! Off to neverland!" It just hit me right in the heart strings. The fear of the unknown, growing up and going away to college, moving away from family and friends, that childhood innocence that once is gone, can never return.

Fast forward to last November, and here I am grown up, watching Wishes on the roof of the Contemporary with my now fiancé. We stood in awe as we closed off our vacation with full bellies and maybe a tad too much to drink. I cried, as I always do, remembering my first trip, and the nostalgia that Wishes holds. I don't think I could have had a better Wishes finale.

My best friend from my 2005 trip is still my best friend, and we are both getting married to our Prince Charmings next year. It's crazy how we both got our "happily ever afters" around the same time. I guess it's only fitting that this is the name of the next firework show....

See what a little wishing can do!!

FAREWELL WISHES.

DisneyPrincess5

Out of all my trips, I have never watched Wishes in it's entirely, or directly. I've seen parts of it utop the Cali Grill's perch or from Bay Lake windows on higher floors.

I feel for everyone who has to bittersweetly say goodbye. It's always hard to have something you love in the parks change or go away. Thankfully we live in an age of such a level of technology where nothing every really dies. A video is one click away.

Since1976

As a kid, my feeling was that fireworks shows were a waste of time, time that could be better spent riding an attraction one more time. So, I mostly experienced fireworks shows at MK from some skewed perspective, as we walked from one ride to another.

WISHES! changed all that for me. While it was not a big and bold and nostalgic as its sister show at DL, Wishes! still managed to give me goosebumps. I think it starts for me around the time when the fireworks turn green, the music changes, and Peter Pan says, "I wish I'd never grow up!"

Now, the nighttime shows are required viewing for my family. I can't wait to see the new show.

Chef Mickey

Out of all my trips, I have never watched Wishes in it's entirely/QUOTE]
uhy.gif

Surfin' Tuna

In honor of Wishes farewell, I thought it'd be nice to all reminisce on our favorite Wishes memories and moments. A fond farewell. A thanks for the memories thread. :)

What I remember most about my first trip to Disney World way back in 2005 is watching Wishes. I was about to be a senior in high school and I was traveling with my best friend and her family. We both had Disney princess tiaras atop our head and had given up on wearing any makeup that week. The whole trip we sort of let go of that "teenager attitude" and were truly kids at heart.

I remember bawling my eyes out at the part where Peter goes, "I wish we'd never have to grow up! Off to neverland!" It just hit me right in the heart strings. The fear of the unknown, growing up and going away to college, moving away from family and friends, that childhood innocence that once is gone, can never return.

Fast forward to last November, and here I am grown up, watching Wishes on the roof of the Contemporary with my now fiancé. We stood in awe as we closed off our vacation with full bellies and maybe a tad too much to drink. I cried, as I always do, remembering my first trip, and the nostalgia that Wishes holds. I don't think I could have had a better Wishes finale.

My best friend from my 2005 trip is still my best friend, and we are both getting married to our Prince Charmings next year. It's crazy how we both got our "happily ever afters" around the same time. I guess it's only fitting that this is the name of the next firework show....

See what a little wishing can do!!

FAREWELL WISHES.

I was sitting on the sofa, and I thought I'd share this with my wife as I read it. I didn't realize how it would move both of us; the wife got a tear. We are both really sad to see Wishes leaving and have stocked up on our wishes garb. We have the regular T-shirts, the passholder T's, and the cast member T's. We don't own any other park T-shirts, but we felt compelled to get one of all of those. Our Disney nerd status really grew alongside the Wishes show, and it is much more moving than of the other shows. We go to MK every week and have doubled up a few times the last couple weeks just to make sure we catch the show a couple last times.

Good job one a great post and congrats on your upcoming marriage. There is nothing I could add to what you wrote, but I know I will miss this show no matter how good HEA is. I doubt it will capture the same feeling of optimism and joy that this one possess. I always feel as if anything is possible after watching the show and listening to Mr. Cricket's narration.

All good things must come to an end, and it's part of what makes us appreciate them so much. I just hope they bring this one back every now and then for something. If not, at least I have the T-shirts.

belledream

I remember watching Wishes as a kid with my family on our annual trips. On our last trip together before I went off to college (and knew we may never be back as a family) my parents bought me the soundtrack to the show. It's when I really began to believe in the power of music. I always appreciated it, but this way it truly kept me close.

When I first started college, I met this guy who turned into my boyfriend a few weeks in. After a year of dating (and a lot of one-way discussions about Disney) we went on our first trip together and watched Wishes, holding each other and knowing-but-not-really-knowing that we would be doing the same thing for every year to come.

Thank you for making my dreams come true Wishes!

Mark P.

Our first viewing was exactly two years ago today. I had surprised my soon-to-be-fiancee/now-wife on Valentine's Day with plans for an extended Disney weekend, and she found out two months later that it was intended to be an engagement celebration trip. Not surprisingly, that show took on a whole new meaning for both of us, and 15 months later we sat on the Hub lawn watching it again during our honeymoon: right after Jiminy signed off, I leaned over and thanked her for making my own wishes come true.

So, while we don't necessarily have as long of a history with the show, when we saw it for the last time during our trip last week, she lost it -- and I'm glad that - as is often the case - I had a camera lens in front of me to shield my own eyes and focus my own emotions.

I'm cautiously optimistic that HEA will be a faithful successor and that it'll provide a new soundtrack for years of memories we'll make together during future visits, but this one's tough going to be tough to say goodbye to.

Raegansmommy

I am sad to see Wishes go. It is always one of my favorite parts of our vacation. It always brings a tear to my eye, even after numerous times seeing it. I'm glad we did the Wishes Dessert party when we were there in December. The viewing location what great to see the fireworks show and Tinkerbell. I'm so glad that Tinkerbell is still going to fly!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Probably the part I'm gonna miss the most is when Genie comes in and says "WE'VE GOT SOME WISHES TO GRAAAANT!" My best memory of Wishes ever was when my little boy was about 3 or 4 and we were around the Fire Station as Wishes was going on and my little boy was obsessed with The Lion King at the time and Rafiki just happened to be out there and no one even noticed him and he came and sat down and watched Wishes with my little boy. It was absolutely heartwarming to watch and still about gets me misty eyed to this day thinking about it. I don't know if my little boy will ever be able to remember it or not but I know I'll never be able to forget it.

mickeysaver

My most favorite memory is the one where I was holding Layna as she watched Wishes for the first time. She was not even 2, but she loved the show.

I wish that I had known that the last time that I saw it was going to be the last time. It always made me a bit teary.

Farewell Wishes, you were much loved and will be missed.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I was sitting on the sofa, and I thought I'd share this with my wife as I read it. I didn't realize how it would move both of us; the wife got a tear. We are both really sad to see Wishes leaving and have stocked up on our wishes garb. We have the regular T-shirts, the passholder T's, and the cast member T's. We don't own any other park T-shirts, but we felt compelled to get one of all of those. Our Disney nerd status really grew alongside the Wishes show, and it is much more moving than of the other shows. We go to MK every week and have doubled up a few times the last couple weeks just to make sure we catch the show a couple last times.

Good job one a great post and congrats on your upcoming marriage. There is nothing I could add to what you wrote, but I know I will miss this show no matter how good HEA is. I doubt it will capture the same feeling of optimism and joy that this one possess. I always feel as if anything is possible after watching the show and listening to Mr. Cricket's narration.

All good things must come to an end, and it's part of what makes us appreciate them so much. I just hope they bring this one back every now and then for something. If not, at least I have the T-shirts.

Thank you! Wishes will always hold a special place in all of us Disney fans' hearts! You have inspired me to buy a shirt! I hope they release them on the parks app!

Much-Pixie-Dust

Love this thread! So many memories. I love Wishes so much, I changed my June 2017 trip to April 2017 so I could see it one more time. My favorite memory was when my daughter was about 7 and sang the little girl part while just staring in awe at the castle. Then, singing it again just a two weeks ago and now she is twelve. Cried both times and now I am crying while I am writing this. I am an emotional mess when it come to Wishes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom