FAREWELL WISHES (an appreciation thread)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

My favorite and last memory was watching wishes between 2 back to back downpours, I remember the area was so smoked out that I decided to run to the back by the carousel. I was running thru the park freely thru the park dodging puddles since I couldn't get any more soaked anyway with can I go the distance blasted over the speakers. I felt like I was in some kind of movie with theme music to it. Wishes more than anything paired up great with Spectromagic and really completed the night. Never thought I would go without both shows at once. The music is what really makes the show for me and the way its played.

180º

Wishes is my quintessential castle fireworks show. It ushered in a new era of fireworks show formats, none of which would ever quite surpass Wishes. I should mention that I'm a Disneyland native and R...DCT has a lot of content that is nearer and dearer to me than the content in Wishes, but for some reason Wishes always affected me more deeply. I think it's the tender, pure way in which the show is handled.

I hope HEA is good, but so far it looks like another Disneyland Forever, a show that I found cold, insincere, commercial, and muddled. Maybe it'll surprise me.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Love this thread! So many memories. I love Wishes so much, I changed my June 2017 trip to April 2017 so I could see it one more time. My favorite memory was when my daughter was about 7 and sang the little girl part while just staring in awe at the castle. Then, singing it again just a two weeks ago and now she is twelve. Cried both times and now I am crying while I am writing this. I am an emotional mess when it come to Wishes!
I was walking back down Main St after Wishes one night and I saw this grown lady with her family next to me wiping tears away and I just smiled and quietly leaned over to her and said something like "It happens to all of us..." LOL! Cast members have told me that when people watch the fireworks on the 4th of July that they've seen grown men just stand there and openly weep.

JiminyandTink

Wishes was pure heart-string tugging Disney magic and will be tough to replace (I mean how can you beat narration by Jiminy Cricket!)

I hope the new show is great!

BTW: Does anyone know if the new show still worked in Tinkerbell flying across before the fireworks, or is that tradition sadly gone with Wishes?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Wishes is my quintessential castle fireworks show. It ushered in a new era of fireworks show formats, none of which would ever quite surpass Wishes. I should mention that I'm a Disneyland native and R...DCT has a lot of content that is nearer and dearer to me than the content in Wishes, but for some reason Wishes always affected me more deeply. I think it's the tender, pure way in which the show is handled.

I hope HEA is good, but so far it looks like another Disneyland Forever, a show that I found cold, insincere, commercial, and muddled. Maybe it'll surprise me.
I would live to see the Magic Kingdom aquire RDCT once the HEA hype is over,

Dianak28

For years, I wasn't interested in watching the fireworks. My family and I would make a break for it to the monorail before the fireworks to beat the rush. I finally watched wishes two years ago for the first time and was kicking myself for all the times I missed it! I cry every time no matter how often I watch it. Such a beautiful show- so glad I bought the CD while there in January before I found out it would end.

kaitertot5249

Reading all of these stories and memories is making me get all teary-eyed at work :cry: I don't want to say goodbye to my beloved Wishes! Thank you for making this thread @prfctlyximprct!

My fondest wishes memory is from my January 2016 trip. This trip was my first time back to WDW as an adult and also the first time I was visiting with my boyfriend. We were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and the whole trip was extra magical but I will never forget making our way over towards the Hub to find a place to watch Wishes. We had decided that we didn't want to sit around too long to stake out a good spot so we were going to try to get a spot somewhere on the outskirts of Main Street after MSEP ended. We didn't have high hopes for a prime viewing location, I was just hoping to be able to see a part of the castle and the fireworks.

As we walked over, MSEP was just ending so we made our way to the middle of the street in pretty thick crowds all trying to move into the street for Wishes and the projection show. While everyone else was moving around us, I stopped and looked back at where we were in relation to the castle and decided that I wanted to stay right where we were and hope that no CMs came to ask us to move. Everyone continued moving around us and we felt kind of crazy just standing there but we stayed put, we were standing dead center on Main Street and I wasn't giving up my spot. After a few minutes a CM came by saying, "Please clear pathways for safety and make sure that you are inside the white tape on the ground." Thinking that we were definitely going to have to move, Cody and I looked down to see that his foot is perfectly within the taped lines. We were as close to the middle of the street as we could be and a path was being cleared right in front of us. While everyone moved around us, the CM pointed to us and told us that we had the best seat in the house. He told us that people stake that spot out for hours some nights and gave us props for being so dedicated to Wishes and turned to walk away. Cody and I looked at each other in disbelief having just walked up 20 minutes before the show started, we still talk about our perfect luck that night all the time. We only waited in that spot for about 15 minutes before the projection show started and we had the most amazing view imaginable. No one stopped in front of us or beside us and we felt like we were the only two people watching the show that night. It was incredible.

We managed to get the same spot again this past February and didn't have to wait for it again. Here's a picture from this year:
IMG_20170224_211219.jpg

You can kind of see how much space we had. Easily 10+ feet in front of us and about the same to the right. There is one man with his wife who was in a wheel chair standing in the pathway in front of us but other than the two of them, no one even tried to stop there and if they did a CM was swift in asking them to move along.

I have to say, that the music from Wishes is really what makes it so special to me. I listen to the soundtrack almost every night while I get ready for bed and sometimes I'll put it on while I'm driving home from work. It never fails to put a smile on my face, even on the worst days. To say that I will miss it is an understatement but I am so happy that I got to experience it so many times. Having memories of this show for almost every stage of my life, from trips with my parents to my first adult trip with my boyfriend and a few more in between, makes me feel very lucky. Wishes is a part of my childhood and I hope that Happily Ever After can give other little girls similar memories in the years to come.

Last edited:

Mark P.

I've always had a go-go-go mentality my past trips and now I kind of regret that.
During our last Wishes viewing, we got to the Hub about 75 minutes before showtime and just hung out there (well, I spent 20 of those minutes in line at Main Street Bakery getting us an early evening caffeine fix, but I digress...), taking in the atmosphere, enjoying each others' company, and reminiscing about all of the times we'd watched the show before and what it'd mean to have to say goodbye. We're the couple always rushing from FP+ to FP+ or planning our day around ADRs and maximizing our ride counts, but that was always the one milestone in our day that we were never rushing to or from. I'm just hoping that HEA will conjure the same feelings and sense of "just soak it all in".

Surfin' Tuna

We go every week to the MK and sometimes skip past the fireworks, but I'm traveling next week so this was it. I watched the test fireworks late last night for HEA, and I realized for sure it's not the fireworks that make the show. They are just a welcome addition. The new pyrotechnics will be better I'm sure, but they will never be Wishes. I think the show will feel more like advertising whereas Wishes really moves me. I'm a grown man who fancies himself successful (no matter what others might think), but I always feel as if there is more ahead of me while watching Wishes. I always feel as if we really can achieve our dreams. I also feel as if its okay if while at the park we follow Peter Pan's lead and never grow up.

Holding my kid tonight watching the show may have given me a tear or ten. It is a moving and emotional show that is what Disney is when they are good - Wishes was more than good. Wishes was and is (for another week) magical.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Screenshot_2017-05-07-09-18-46.png
Wishes is a great show and I remember seeing it back in 03 when it debuted. It was refreshing to see this over the years as the park around it changed (for better or worse, you decide). I was there last night and will be there again on Thursday to say good bye. I know the new night time spectacular will not disappoint. Now if there were only a night time parade to go with it.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom