Fantasmic Show Closing?

Mission: SPACE

MK I personally do use the Early Mornings, and I think that Disney has been way too cheap in the last few years... it doesn't cost but what? Maybe $300 a day for the Character Caravan? Why don't they run both... but for people like me the early mornings is better, because that's what I go for! The PARKS!!! I know there are a lot more families out there visiting one time that want to see the characters, but I think Disney should also be loyal to the repeat, repeat, repeat, etc. guests!!!

meanmice

Well TaborDude, I'm glad that i'm not the only one who uses early entry. I'm 18 and the thrill of having the characters in my hotel is not as big a thing as it once was. I think the early entry tailers to more age groups then does the caravan because the characters are at the parks and so are the rides.

As far a Fantasmic! goes, it is my favorite show and considering the amount of people who go there every night I doubt that they would be closing it any time soon.

Grumpy56

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

"Contrary to popular belief, Early Entry was never a popular thing. Even now that it's back... I've driven many runs early in the morning for the EMH, and I've barely picked anyone up."

Personally I'm glad to hear that it's not too popular, as I'm planning on taking full advantage of it next week when I'm there. We always just loved the feeling of being in the parks with few other peoplpe.....especially at MK.

Bottom line is that the percentage of people who are willing and able to get up early on vacation is small, it's why the mornings are always less crowded than the afternoon, extra magic hour or no.

WDWfreak89

Fantasmic Closing

I really hope that the Fantasmic show is not closing. When I get out of college I am going down to Disney World to be the lighting designer for Fantasmic I hope. Of course I am only 13 so I have a long ways to go. :)

By the way, if you are wondering about my Users name its Freak not Feak. I didn't see the screw up.

Ive never seen fantasmic but would love to. My family almost went to it this summer but we decided to go to see the tapestry of dreams. I would have rather stayed and saw fantasmic. Unfoutunately when we decided that maybe we would go it was like 30 mins before the show. I dont think we would have been able to get seats.

ToTBellHop

If Disney wants to please everyone, they should have a buncha characters out during Extra Magic Hour, so you have the rides and the characters with fewer guests to get in your way.

As for Disneyland's Fantasmic!, its last showing was in late November and it will not start up again until June, after which it will probably only run through early September--it will either only be on the summer entertainment schedule or they are trying to get rid of it; your guess is as good as mine, but realize this show is about 10 years old, far older than our version...my hypothesis is that they want something like it at California Adventure, possibly at the end of their soon-to-be Sunset Boulevard, like at MGM (east of Paradise Pier, in a current parking lot). This would allow for the better set-up with an amphitheatre like Hollywood Hills...just a thought, cuz I know they eventually want a firework show in both parks, and this would be more low-level, less likely to ________ off Anaheim.

Monorail Lime

It wouldn't suprise me too much if Fantasmic went away. The pyrotechnics must be pretty expensive and it uses a lot of cast members in the final scene. While it is popular it doesn't really draw people to the park so if their numbers are hurting bad it would make sense to mothball it until the summer.

I sat through it several times but I've never felt the urge since then. The opening is cool and the finale is cool but the middle part with the water projections is SO LONG AND BORING. They should have stuck with the Disneyland version!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Monorail Lime
it uses a lot of cast members in the final scene

actually, almost the entire cast doubles (and triples) roles.

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by mktiggerman
actually, almost the entire cast doubles (and triples) roles.
Oh I know... I'm just saying that in the final scene with the Steamboat there is something like 20 or so costume cast members on stage at once. (I'm sure you can provide the exact number) So we know that Fantasmic uses a bare minimum of 20 cast members for costume alone and the shift is around 2 hours. 20 * 2 * cast hourly wage = several hundred bucks.

I know that's not a lot but then there is also the techs and the pyrotechnics and the electricity and maintenance (how often is that stupid dragon broken?) so it all adds up quickly.

I say stuff them all in the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks during the off season. One expensive nighttime show is enough!

mickeyfanatics

Actually this show is extremely popular with the guests and it often will keep them from going to another park, even when the studios close at 7 PM. The show is also always packed and standing room only when they have 1 show. It is often less crowded with 2 shows (and I always go to the 2nd). I still love see ing people's faces the first time they see it, because I remember mine. I also like the fact that this one is different from DL, they should not have identical attractions at the different parks. Otherwise you would have no reason to visit the others.

kennyj29

We go off season and when we go to the Fantasmic show it's always packed. It's ridiculous and that place holds a heck of a lot of people. Secondly, Caravan of Characters what was the purpose? There are so many places that the kids can see characters. And from what I understand, they are adding more. I really don't see the purpose of it, never could understand it. Plus, it didn't go to all the hotels which wasn't fair anyway. At least with the extra hour, you can get on some of the premium attractions without waiting for any length of time. That is definitely a plus. You don't have to waste a fast pass unless you want to do the attraction again at a later time. It's just great! Characters are all over the place. In MK you have Mickeys Toon Town, MGM has Mickey 24/7 and then they have the trailers parked with appearences by characters plus they are always in the front of The great Movie Ride, Epcot has the bus of characters that come all the time and any character meals, etc. So I honestly feel the extra hour is much better!

colliera

Best of Both?

With start of Extra Magic Hour (Early Entry/Suprise Mornings) and having the characters roll into Main St. Station to welcome guests didn't wasn't the result that of moving Character Caravan into the MK? (Given the number of characters required in the MK would probably be less than covering all the resorts.)

Even if you won't/can't get up that early to catch the welcome I understand the characters have a park closing sent off in which late rises could participate.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

As for the Character Caravan being more popular, I understood the characters to be at the resorts to send you off to the parks. Well, gee! If you are getting on a bus to the parks does that mean the caravan was a success or you were just hooking up with on property transportation?

Invero

Re: Best of Both?

Originally posted by colliera
As for the Character Caravan being more popular, I understood the characters to be at the resorts to send you off to the parks. Well, gee! If you are getting on a bus to the parks does that mean the caravan was a success or you were just hooking up with on property transportation?

The characters were actually in the Lobby for a Meet 'n Greet.

secretsquirrel

Replace Fantasmic Show

After seeing Fantasmic for the first time 3 weeks ago, I find the shows atmosphere and location size to be awesome, but the show itself stunk. The technology used is cool, but the show itself was too violent in nature and too close to the Magic Kingdom show in front of the Castle. I understand Disney is pushing the "Good v. Evil" so to get all charactors from different generations together, but in 3 days I was already sick of having it shoved down my throat.:brick:

someone had mentioned that it must take alot of money to run the show. I totally agree. Ive never seen it but heard the spectactular things about it. I bet with all the moving parts and the Pyron must be expensive. It must cost alot for Disney with thier pyro. Do they have some special cantract or something

Maerj

Originally posted by Mickeyman819
someone had mentioned that it must take alot of money to run the show. I totally agree. Ive never seen it but heard the spectactular things about it. I bet with all the moving parts and the Pyron must be expensive. It must cost alot for Disney with thier pyro. Do they have some special cantract or something

I would imagine that they would have to have not only a special contract, but some pretty hefty insurance as well. Since it is shown to the public, and it always has a huge crowd. Its is a spectacular show, if you go to the studios, you have to see it!

:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom