Fantasmic Reopening Watch

jrhwdw

The max numbers of characters on the steamboat did decrease by one (36 -> 35), but more importanly, imo, is how many now do the ribbon dance choreography.

(from left to right)
2020 (36):
Bottom row (15):
Tiana
Belle
Beast
Stitch
Donald
Minnie
Pluto
Goofy
Chip
Dale
Pinocchio
Geppetto
Rafiki
Brer Bear
Baloo

Top Row (14):
Moana
Sneezy
Grumpy
Doc
Prince
Snow White
Dopey
Bashful
Sleepy
Happy
Aladdin
Jasmine
Ariel
Eric

Top Deck (7):
Mickey
Meeks
Pocahontas
John Smith
Mary Poppins
Bert
Genie

2022 (35):
Bottom row (16 [+1]):
Belle
Beast
Tiana
Naveen
Pocahontas
Meeko
Minnie
Pluto
Goofy
Chip
Dale
Pinocchio
Geppetto
Rafiki
Stitch

Top Row (14 [+0]):
Moana
Sneezy
Grumpy
Doc
Prince
Snow White
Dopey
Bashful
Sleepy
Happy
Li Shang
Mulan
Ariel
Eric

Top Deck (5 [-2]):
Mickey
Elsa
Aladdin
Jasmine
Mary Poppins

One additional CM was added to the ribbon dance, which is Prince Naveen. There was usually 3 characters at the bottom front, but now there's 4.

Two characters were removed from the top deck, one moved to bottom row and one gone permanently. They can always add another character to the top deck again, like Anna to be paired with Elsa, or perhaps the Genie again.

Regardless, having more characters do the ribbon choreography is a plus for me, especially since it was revamped to where they spin (again) and look up to Mickey!

Would also note that pre-closure, some characters would consistency be missing from the steamboat finale. So while the max was 36, on most nights it was actually 34 or even less. Snow White and Prince are usually the first ones to go, then Rafiki, then the Dwarfs.
Now since its return for the past month? Has consistently remained at 35; would sometimes go down to 34 when Rafiki/Old Hag was out for the night.

Also something I noticed recently - The ribbons now have straps on them so CMs can't let go and accidentally drop the ribbons, for safety. They should implement this at DL because it's so common over there for CMs to accidentally drop their ribbons, especially with the Pixar characters in the back.
View attachment 685295
View attachment 685296
When DHS needs the Stage Finale, Everyone should be there except Mickey, Ariel and Eric, correct? I didn't count that weird night when F! stopped, then continued which turned into the Stage Finale.
And then in her time of need, Mickey decides to drown her.

Jerk.

He is Moana.
LOL!!!! Honestly you people!!

gerarar

Premium Member
Another milestone for Fantasmic! tonight (12/20 9pm).
The dragon got stuck, and we finally got the entire B-mode finale. Moat fountains were up throughout the finale with Sorceror Mickey, and Tuxedo Mickey came from the side.

This almost happened a month ago on 11/10 & 11/20, but the dragon issue was resolved just in time for Sorceror Mickey, so we got the regular finale. On 11/20 Tuxedo Mickey came from side even though dragon was resolved well before then.

The only difference is tonight it wasn't fixed in time, so fountains were up the entire time. Lasers were turned off and lights had a different choreography. The stage crew did eventually resolve it by the very end right when Tuxedo Mickey appears, which was interesting, since show lights were turned on post-show and doors to mountain was closed.

Video starts right before Sorceror Mickey appears:

gerarar

Premium Member
If I didn’t know better, I’d think it really needs to be twice nightly year-round just given the simple math of how many guests are in the park daily vs. theater capacity.

Or bring SWAGS back.
Not sure on what the math/profitability is for a single show, but for the past month, the second show is roughly only half or max 2/3 full, which made me kinda worried.

I would hope the reduced demand for the 2nd show doesn't discourage park ops from reducing F! to only one nightly, but the increase in January does give some hope that maybe the crowds for the 2nd show is enough (for now).

ToTBellHop

Not sure on what the math/profitability is for a single show, but for the past month, the second show is roughly only half or max 2/3 full, which made me kinda worried.

I would hope the reduced demand for the 2nd show doesn't discourage park ops from reducing F! to only one nightly, but the increase in January does give some hope that maybe the crowds for the 2nd show is enough (for now).
They should start selling dining packages for show 2. Maybe a $35 counter service dinner?

zann285

A whole lot of tech issues last night (12/23).

No dragon, so B-mode lift Malificient, no lasers, no sword pyro, no steamboat pyro, no ribbon dance, and lots of low/high pyro cut in the finale.

Wonder if the cold/wind had something to do with a lot of the pyro cuts.

Video starts right at the finale:

Tonight’s 7:30 is so far delayed until 8:30. I have turned into a popsicle waiting on these bleachers.

gerarar

Premium Member
Tonight’s 7:30 is so far delayed until 8:30. I have turned into a popsicle waiting on these bleachers.
Yikes. That means the 9pm show will be really delayed or (hopefully not) cancelled. Probably gonna be a quick turnover once the first show ends.

zann285

Yikes. That means the 9pm show will be really delayed or (hopefully not) cancelled. Probably gonna be a quick turnover once the first show ends.
They combined the shows. While we were waiting we got an MDE notification that “the second Fantasmic show will start early today at 8:30pm. To see the show, arrive at Hollywood Hills Amphitheater by 8:30pm”. We were still waiting from our 7:30 spots, but did not get the notification until just before 8:30. I feel sorry for those who were planning to see the 9:00 and were elsewhere, but I suppose most would have already been in line. There was a sudden flood of people just before and right after the show started. The dragon seemed to be working fine though, and was met with cheers from the cast members in the back. The CMs doing crowd control had had a rough night, quickly converting from arrival mode to exit mode as the crowd gave up waiting en masse.

gerarar

Premium Member
New B-mode scene premiered tonight (12/25). Moana doesn't jump into the water!

Aside from that, some more B-modes like no 3rd barge with Snow White, no lasers, some missing pyro here and there, no Prince Naveen & Mary Poppins on steamboat (haven't seen this one before).

Livestream starts at Moana segment.

gerarar

Premium Member
Some more B-mode scenes!

When Aladdin doesn't do his little jump during his "I think I'll take a stroll around the block". He stays at the ledge and does some small choreography.
Screenshot_20230106_144056_YouTube.jpg

Aladdin still does his big jump across the stage, so it may of been an equipment problem during this performance.
Video starts at One Jump scene:

When only 1 of 2 trampoline jumpers are available. They don't climb the rockwork at the front of the stage, instead goes around. And they have a modified trampoline sequence, more jumps!
Screenshot_20230106_144502_YouTube.jpg

This performance also had the B-mode Moana scene where she doesn't jump into the water.
Video starts at One Jump scene:

Last edited:

mm52200

How are there so many issues every performance?
A show with this many elements run twice a night every day will always have issues…you most likely won’t even notice watching it.
But when you have someone intentionally watching a livestream of every performance pointing out every. single. little. thing. that is out of place, it kind of gets blown out of proportion.

gerarar

Premium Member
A show with this many elements run twice a night every day will always have issues…you most likely won’t even notice watching it.
But when you have someone intentionally watching a livestream of every performance pointing out every. single. little. thing. that is out of place, it kind of gets blown out of proportion.
Hey now, that someone has a name ya know – @gerarar ;)

And to be fair, there hasn't been much livestreams since the hypes died down. I'm only really looking out for cool B-mode alternate scenes like those I listed above.

Also awaiting when the dragon pyro finally returns/gets fixed. The fantasia/flower pyro too, been MIA since like week 2.

gerarar

Premium Member
Okay now this is too funny to not post about – last night (1/7), Tuxedo Mickey failed to appear in the finale! This is such a rare thing, especially to be filmed live!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom