'Fantasmic!' Renovation Concepts; Thoughts?

PrincessJulia1207

I am in the minority here, but I saw Fantasmic at Disneyland last night, and I definitely prefer Orlando's version. Seems like there's a heavy use of water projections over physical characters than it seems in Orlando. And the story didn't seem as cohesive. Just my $.02 but I was expecting more considering all the positive things people have said about it.
the story isnt cohesive in the Orlando one either tbh

Stitchon

I think Fantasmic is such a classic at this point, I would certainly hope that it sticks around in the future for DHS! As for complaints with the new DL show, I could go on about Pirates but my point is the sane as everyone else's. I think that DHS has a lot more live action sequences, so losing Pocahontas is really going to bite. Aladdin, Tangled, or PatF (please, please, please) would be great replacements, as would Moana! And I just love all the goofy villain placement in the DHS show, mixing up really competent baddies like Ursula and the Evil Queen with Frollo and Hades (evil for sure, but they don't fit the tone as well) It always cracks me up seeing them all together, and I really hope that isn't lost in the future.
As for the dragon, I heard that the animatronic dragon cannot be so easily implemented in Florida because of space, is this true? And if so, could this be fixed with time?

Murphy (DL's dragon) rises out of a deep pit while the DHS dragon is pushed outward from the mountain structure. While Murphy does constrict itself to fit into the pit, I don't know if it would fit into the DHS mountain.

Disneybear

I watched the video but will see it live in two months.

Everyone's two gripes are right: POTC doesn't fit with anything else, and Tangled shouldn't have replaced the Snow White/Evil Queen transition. Similar to Happily Ever After, Star Wars, and WOC, Disney's latest night shows have been technically astounding with amateurish narratives. Otherwise, the show looks nice and polished.

I also feel from watching the video that by having an earlier scene with Sorcerer Mickey that he is somewhat diminished from the finale.
Having him only appear at the finale and burst from the top of the mountain in the Florida version does personally give the show a big emotional lift for me.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Not sure I like the "transition into darkness" in the new Fantasmic. In the new version, Mickey goes into the Magic Mirror more or less off of peer pressure as the Magic Mirror proclaims that there is "another realm" "where powers untold far greater than yours may awaken" but "only the bravest may uncover the mysteries". Ultimately, Mickey chooses to go (I guess to prove his bravery?) but Mickey doesn't need to prove anything! He's Mickey! I prefer the original plot where the villains more or less plot together to take over Mickey's dream (because as the Magic Mirror says "here in Mickey's imagination, beauty and love will always supplieth"). Seems to make more sense too when, at the end, Mickey says "you may think you're so powerful, well, this is my dream!".

Upgrade the tech (add in the new lighting, the new projection mapping), DON'T change the vocals over the princess segment, DON'T replace Pocahontas with Pirates (might be okay replacing the Pocahontas scene in general, not sure with what, but not pirates), DON'T change the plot device at the end (described above), DO upgrade the dragon...

Fantasmicguy

Not sure I like the "transition into darkness" in the new Fantasmic. In the new version, Mickey goes into the Magic Mirror more or less off of peer pressure as the Magic Mirror proclaims that there is "another realm" "where powers untold far greater than yours may awaken" but "only the bravest may uncover the mysteries". Ultimately, Mickey chooses to go (I guess to prove his bravery?) but Mickey doesn't need to prove anything! He's Mickey! I prefer the original plot where the villains more or less plot together to take over Mickey's dream (because as the Magic Mirror says "here in Mickey's imagination, beauty and love will always supplieth"). Seems to make more sense too when, at the end, Mickey says "you may think you're so powerful, well, this is my dream!".

Upgrade the tech (add in the new lighting, the new projection mapping), DON'T change the vocals over the princess segment, DON'T replace Pocahontas with Pirates (might be okay replacing the Pocahontas scene in general, not sure with what, but not pirates), DON'T change the plot device at the end (described above), DO upgrade the dragon...
Maybe Pocahontas could leave for Moana. The projection mapping onto Orlando's Mountain turning it into the Volcano from the movie would be insane.

tirian

I am in the minority here, but I saw Fantasmic at Disneyland last night, and I definitely prefer Orlando's version. Seems like there's a heavy use of water projections over physical characters than it seems in Orlando. And the story didn't seem as cohesive. Just my $.02 but I was expecting more considering all the positive things people have said about it.
You're not alone! If WDW's had Pan instead of Pocahontas, and a better Steamboat Willie ship, it would be the better version IMO. DL's Murphy the Dragon always looked too much like a toy to me.

Disone

wow really? I feel like DHS relys WAY to heavily on the mist screens and there are hardly enough physical effects. Disneyland's is alway turning them off for the next reveal. The bubble sequence on the mist screen is terribly long at DHS as is all the villains. But to each their own. I do wonder, has anyone clocked mist screen vs physical effect times of the two shows?

Daveeeeed

I watched the video but will see it live in two months.

Everyone's two gripes are right: POTC doesn't fit with anything else, and Tangled shouldn't have replaced the Snow White/Evil Queen transition. Similar to Happily Ever After, Star Wars, and WOC, Disney's latest night shows have been technically astounding with amateurish narratives. Otherwise, the show looks nice and polished.
For some reason I feel that while Happily Ever After would have benefited from a better story, the style works for World of Color. Fantasmic is also more obvious than the others as it is a stage show.

I feel like if they don't update it at WDW that will be a shame, but as bad as our boat at HWS looks etc. (or how the river morphs in the evening) as a show I think ours is at least even. As crazy as I am about the show, it never lives up to the beginnning and ending, while World of Color for me delivers throughout. It would be interesting to see how it could be done better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom