Fantasmic Refurb.

KingdomHeart

I've seen both in person, and while I really like how the DL show comes out of nowhere in the middle of the park, I prefer the WDW version. The WDW show feels much bigger, and the organised seating is certainly a big plus. The Peter Pan scenes in DL didn't work as well as Pocahontas for me, and for WDW, you can't beat Mickey up ontop of the mountain.

I super agree. I think the DL show is a little bit disjointed. The DL show, to me, feels like a local theatre show, while the WDW is like a Broadway show - I just get so much more out of it.
That being said, I enjoy the DL show and never miss it when I go to DL.
I'm PSYCHED to find out how the TDS version is gonna be different!
-Nicholas

TP2000

I have only watched Fantasmic two time, but I have always thought that the Pocahontas segment is too random. I have never seen the PP one, though.

Here's a pretty good amateur video of the mist screen intro and Peter Pan/Captain Hook sequence of Fantasmic! at Disneyland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdvO0KHpNI&feature=related

Here's a fun video of Fantasmic Vs. Fantasmic, with a split screen effect. Disneyland's show is on the left, and WDW's show is on the right, running simultaneously. While the video is clearly amateur, it gives you a good idea how the two shows differ, and where they use the same material but perhaps with different effects or different boats. It's interesting to watch for Fantasmic! fans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6igm3H4cQo

sponono88

Here's a pretty good amateur video of the mist screen intro and Peter Pan/Captain Hook sequence of Fantasmic! at Disneyland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdvO0KHpNI&feature=related

Here's a fun video of Fantasmic Vs. Fantasmic, with a split screen effect. Disneyland's show is on the left, and WDW's show is on the right, running simultaneously. While the video is clearly amateur, it gives you a good idea how the two shows differ, and where they use the same material but perhaps with different effects or different boats. It's interesting to watch for Fantasmic! fans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6igm3H4cQo

that second video is great to compare the shows, but it's so terribly outdated now! it's missing most of the updates that DL got recently.

TP2000

that second video is great to compare the shows, but it's so terribly outdated now! it's missing most of the updates that DL got recently.

True. They added a lot of new stuff to the Disneyland show in '09, and I think that video is from '08.

That split screen is a fun concept though. It would be fun to do that more and see the differences between big attractions at both Disneyland and WDW, like Pirates, Mansion, Jungle, Small World, Peter Pan, Grizzly/Kali, Star Tours, Pooh, Splash, Rivers of America riverboats, etc., etc.

yeti

True. They added a lot of new stuff to the Disneyland show in '09, and I think that video is from '08.

That split screen is a fun concept though. It would be fun to do that more and see the differences between big attractions at both Disneyland and WDW, like Pirates, Mansion, Jungle, Small World, Peter Pan, Grizzly/Kali, Star Tours, Pooh, Splash, Rivers of America riverboats, etc., etc.

WDW Pirates< DL Pirates
WDW Mansion> DL Mansion
WDW Jungle< DL Jungle
Small Worlds are the same to me.
WDW Peter Pan< DL Peter Pan
Kali<Grizzly
Star Tours are the same.
WDW Pooh> DL Pooh
WDW Splash> DL Splash
No idea for the riverboats.

IMHO

peterpanic74

I've seen an excellent side-by-side video of Big Thunder at both parks, and it is amazing how similar the track layout is, while each being the mirror opposite of the other. MK BTMRR is slightly longer on one lift hill, but other than that, they time out almost exactly, with one turning left when the other turns right.
Pretty cool. :cool:

mickey2008.1

I like the fantasmic wdw show. I think the water imaging goes on a litlle too long and they could add some more fireworks during and at the end of the show. Once youve seen the show, it's not something that you must do everytime youre at DHS. I like the stadium seating, and i really like the fact that they added beer vendors!:slurp:

Courtney1188

I hate MGM's fantasmic. You wait like 2 hours in the stadium which turns me away. Why not have it in Magic kingdom like Disneyland ?

Can you imagine the chaos that Magic Kingdom would be if it was doing Wishes AND Fantasmic! Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

My family has our Fantasmic routine...get there an hour before show, get food from the cart, eat dinner while we wait. Works out pretty well.

And I personally LOVE the MGM show and cannot imagine it differently. It totally baffles me when people say they don't like it! I just don't get it. You know how it's confusing for all of us when people tell us they don't like Disney World? I feel like that when a Disney fan tells me they don't like Fantasmic (and I have seen videos of Disneyland's version)...I'll just never understand.

TP2000

Can you imagine the chaos that Magic Kingdom would be if it was doing Wishes AND Fantasmic! Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

They do that at Disneyland about 200 nights per year. :eek: It works like this; Fantasmic #1 at 9:00 PM, Fireworks (Remember, Magical, Halloween, or Holiday) at 9:25 PM, Fantasmic #2 at 10:30 PM, and then sometimes Fantasmic #3 at 11:30 PM. And Disneyland has narrower walkways and a smaller Hub, but the CM's keep the huge crowds all moving in the right direction and it works. Not to mention major E Ticket attractions like Big Thunder, Indiana Jones, Pirates and Mansion all keep operating right alongside the Fantasmic viewing area during the shows. Magic Kingdom has wider walkways and a bigger Hub, and not nearly as many attractions along their Rivers of America area, so they really don't have much excuse if Disneyland can do it a majority of the year, year after year.

And I personally LOVE the MGM show and cannot imagine it differently. It totally baffles me when people say they don't like it! I just don't get it. You know how it's confusing for all of us when people tell us they don't like Disney World? I feel like that when a Disney fan tells me they don't like Fantasmic (and I have seen videos of Disneyland's version)...I'll just never understand.

It might make more sense if you saw the Disneyland version in real life. It's very different, and the 21st century technology is noticeably superior to the 1990's tech still being used at DHS. I don't have a Theater Arts degree, but even to the casual observer like myself the difference between WDW and Disneyland is very noticeable now after the past three years of tech upgrades at Disneyland.

Figment1986

I would not mind if Walt Disney World upgraded and enhanced Fantasmic at all.

Disneyland got new show lighting to repalce it's 10 year old system, they upgraded their projection unit, and the LEDs on the floats look amazing in person.

If WDW could do simple upgrades (LEDs, New projectors for the water screens which we do use a lot) they could prolong the life of the show. Now I don't think we need to replace out dragon... it works just as well, but it could have some other upgrades in the face.

As it is, Fantasmic does look a little dated compared to other entertainment offerings like the american idol finale show.

Courtney1188

They do that at Disneyland about 200 nights per year. :eek: It works like this; Fantasmic #1 at 9:00 PM, Fireworks (Remember, Magical, Halloween, or Holiday) at 9:25 PM, Fantasmic #2 at 10:30 PM, and then sometimes Fantasmic #3 at 11:30 PM. And Disneyland has narrower walkways and a smaller Hub, but the CM's keep the huge crowds all moving in the right direction and it works. Not to mention major E Ticket attractions like Big Thunder, Indiana Jones, Pirates and Mansion all keep operating right alongside the Fantasmic viewing area during the shows. Magic Kingdom has wider walkways and a bigger Hub, and not nearly as many attractions along their Rivers of America area, so they really don't have much excuse if Disneyland can do it a majority of the year, year after year.

It might make more sense if you saw the Disneyland version in real life. It's very different, and the 21st century technology is noticeably superior to the 1990's tech still being used at DHS. I don't have a Theater Arts degree, but even to the casual observer like myself the difference between WDW and Disneyland is very noticeable now after the past three years of tech upgrades at Disneyland.

-I hadn't even thought about Disneyland doing both events...:brick: so yes, that could work then.

-I do like Disneyland's dragon better, but yes, the technology can be hard to see in a video. My point was more that I don't understand how people dislike Fantasmic, I can't really argue about which is better since I haven't seen both in person.

LucyintheSky

That's what makes us all unique! :ROFLOL:Seriously, I can't understand how anyone can see both Fantasmics and like WDW's better! That baffles me. It just goes to show how even though we are all Disney lovers, just how varied everyone's personal tastes are. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom