Fantasmic dragon not in show last night...unusual or not?

goodolgm

Original Poster

Last night, Mickey battled Maleficent at the end of the show (Clickable thumbnail above). I know this is a backup to the dragon, but does it happen a lot, or did I witness something "special" last night that's rare?

Nansafan

We've seen it happen before. It is an occasional occurence. Rumors we've heard is weather issue and have also heard that there were mechanical problems. I don't know which is true but it does happen. In fact, we hadn't seen the dragon in the last 3 viewings of Spectromagic and then when we saw it last August, we were surprised it was there.

daguru

It doesn't happen all that much... just bad luck I guess....:shrug:

I've seen the show approx 50-75 times in the last few years, have only not seen the dragon once..... just good luck I guess....

:)

wickedfan07

It was like this when I saw the show at the end of June. I thought is was strange because the dragon was in the show in March 2006. I figured they'd taken it out completely.

100 Acre HS

We've seen it happen before. It is an occasional occurence. Rumors we've heard is weather issue and have also heard that there were mechanical problems. I don't know which is true but it does happen. In fact, we hadn't seen the dragon in the last 3 viewings of Spectromagic and then when we saw it last August, we were surprised it was there.
Fantasmic! Spectro sadly does not have a dragon. Chernabog makes his presence known on occasion, if that is what you are talking about.

Rob562

Fantasmic! Spectro sadly does not have a dragon. Chernabog makes his presence known on occasion, if that is what you are talking about.

Also note that if the poster did mean Spectro, Chernabog doesn't open his wings in certain places along the parade route (most notably Liberty Square) due to a lack of clearance.

-Rob

Lozatar

That is odd. I saw the show when I went in April and the Dragon was there. That is rather weird. Did the show still seem the same, I mean this in the idea that the characters still pretended there was a Dragon there. That would be a funny sight to see Mickey fight fresh air. heh!!

PKD

That is odd. I saw the show when I went in April and the Dragon was there. That is rather weird. Did the show still seem the same, I mean this in the idea that the characters still pretended there was a Dragon there. That would be a funny sight to see Mickey fight fresh air. heh!!

If the dragon is unable to perform then they will have Mickey fight Maleficent. She will still be perched on her lift way up in the sky.

Side note, I have seen the show twice where the dragon was used, but then couldn't get back inside the Mountain. So you have Steamboat Willy come along and the rest of the show ending as normal while the dragon is out and about hanging like a dead animal.

hijinx

I worked on that show for three years and every time the dragon was out was either due to mechanical issues or high winds. Mostly mechanical in the first 6 months. The steamboat would often go down as well and the characters would have to perform from the mountain stage.

dandaman

^This happened last August. I'd never seen it happen before then, though I thought it was something like a yearly rehab.

MuRkErY

^This happened last August. I'd never seen it happen before then, though I thought it was something like a yearly rehab.

If the Steamboat didnt come out last August it was down for Rehab so you were actully correct.

It was down for quite a while actully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom