News Fantasmic! and World of Color to return in 2022

VJ

Original Poster
The new music works for me. Love the new effects. Magic Carpet. Tangled.

Downgrades for me were:

• Friend like Me Segment. It offers nothing special, at least the Pinocchio puppets were large scaled, adding the "how did they do that?" factor.
  • Witch Transformation cut
  • Mickey on top of the Mill before the finale
  • Dragon rising from stage, which removes the special reveal moment. It looks cool, granted. But I think there's more of a wow when the darkness reveals glowing eyes, and then a full scale dragon is suddenly on the stage.

I think in general my issue with modern Disney shows is they reveal all their cards in the first moments of the show. The best thing about the OG version is that it held stuff back. New effects, new moments were constantly revealed in each scene.

It wasn't until the end that Mickey appeared up top. The lasers only came out at the end, etc.

You need to keep surprises throughout.
And the fact that Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey is featured throughout the show instead of the finale reveal, that's always bugged me.

The "play all your cards immediately" thing is something Steve Davison has been guilty of for a long time, since around World of Color. There are no surprise elements/moments anymore, it's all laid out on the table in the first five seconds.

AJFireman

One step closer the projector housings have arrived.
Screenshot_20220213-114328_Instagram.jpg

TP2000

I mentioned this in the other entertainment thread, but it's typical of TDA to remember where the "Down" button is for the big ugly fountain platforms at World Of Color just in time for this weekend's ESPN broadcasts from the lagoon for the Super Bowl.

Let's hope that when ESPN leaves town, the alleged "showmen" in TDA can remember where that switch is. :rolleyes:

If it's important enough and ugly enough to hide for ESPN, then it oughta be important enough and ugly enough to hide from tens of thousands of paying customers every day. Right?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Last edited:

VJ

Original Poster
World of Color returns April 22, 2022, while Fantasmic returns May 28, 2022.

The official Disneyland press releases firmly quashes rumors of the original show returning (emphasis mine):
“Fantasmic!” lights the night beginning May 28

Celebrating its 30th anniversary at Disneyland in 2022, “Fantasmic!” is Disney’s longest-running nighttime show. “Fantasmic!” is an emotional extravaganza of colorful Disney-animated film images, choreographed to an exciting musical score and highlighted by the 45-foot-tall, fire-breathing Maleficent dragon. The waters of the Rivers of America come alive as Mickey Mouse dreams he is the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and faces some of Disney’s most dastardly villains, using the power of his imagination to save the day. Along the way, fantastic events and images as seen in Disney films like “Fantasia,” “The Jungle Book,” “Pirates of the Caribbean” and more come to life with live performers, character appearances, enhanced special effects and pyrotechnics.

“Fantasmic!” will return to its regular schedule beginning May 28.

Emmanuel

Theres something that I realized hasn't been discussed since the announcements

Both shows used the now defunct FPs to access the main viewing areas as well as dining packages

Pages for the Dining Packages for both shows are still on the site if you search for it and is listed as "Temporarily unavailable" so Imagine they'll be available for booking sometime soon.

But now with Genie Plus, will regular access to their viewing areas be behind a paywall or will the free Virtual Queues be used?

CaptinEO

Theres something that I realized hasn't been discussed since the announcements

Both shows used the now defunct FPs to access the main viewing areas as well as dining packages

Pages for the Dining Packages for both shows are still on the site if you search for it and is listed as "Temporarily unavailable" so Imagine they'll be available for booking sometime soon.

But now with Genie Plus, will regular access to their viewing areas be behind a paywall or will the free Virtual Queues be used?
They will use Lightning Lane Instant Access for the shows, pay individually.

Disney now has a system in place that doesn't require dining packages anymore for upcharges.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"When “World of Color” returns, we will be adding a virtual queue system to help you view this popular show. This virtual queue is only accessible via the Disneyland mobile app. Beginning April 22, distribution times for the virtual queue enrollment will begin at noon, daily.* If you are able to make a virtual queue selection, you will receive a notification via the Disneyland app to enter the designated “World of Color” viewing area via one of the two marked entrance points (Blue or Yellow) assigned to you, approximately 45 minutes before the show begins. For how-to details on the virtual queue system, visit Disneyland.com. If the virtual queue reaches capacity, please visit the Paradise Bay viewing area shortly before “World of Color” begins to check in with a cast member for walk-up viewing options. Joining the virtual queue for World of Color is not required to view the spectacular, but it is highly recommended."

aaronml

"When “World of Color” returns, we will be adding a virtual queue system to help you view this popular show. This virtual queue is only accessible via the Disneyland mobile app. Beginning April 22, distribution times for the virtual queue enrollment will begin at noon, daily.* If you are able to make a virtual queue selection, you will receive a notification via the Disneyland app to enter the designated “World of Color” viewing area via one of the two marked entrance points (Blue or Yellow) assigned to you, approximately 45 minutes before the show begins. For how-to details on the virtual queue system, visit Disneyland.com. If the virtual queue reaches capacity, please visit the Paradise Bay viewing area shortly before “World of Color” begins to check in with a cast member for walk-up viewing options. Joining the virtual queue for World of Color is not required to view the spectacular, but it is highly recommended."

Interesting and honestly surprising choice. They definitely could have used this to increase the value of Genie+ in DCA. They also could have split the two original FP viewing areas into one for VQ and another for LL. Going 100% VQ is a surprising show of restraint for modern TWDC. Definitely will disadvantage guests without smartphones though, as IIRC WoC pre-COVID was almost impossible to view without either FP or a dinner package. Also surprising that dinner packages for WoC have yet to return.

EDIT: WoC dining packages have indeed returned

Emmanuel

Interesting and honestly surprising choice. They definitely could have used this to increase the value of Genie+ in DCA. They also could have split the two original FP viewing areas into one for VQ and another for LL. Going 100% VQ is a surprising show of restraint for modern TWDC. Definitely will disadvantage guests without smartphones though, as IIRC WoC pre-COVID was almost impossible to view without either FP or a dinner package. Also surprising that dinner packages for WoC have yet to return.

Dining Packages for WoC are returning along with the Dessert Party option.

But for the dining packages you just make a normal reservation at either Wine Country or Storytellers and inform them that you want to do the WoC package.

drizgirl

EDIT: WoC dining packages have indeed returned
They do show occasional restraint at DLR. No way would that happen at WDW.

Sailor310

Initially, I was mad at another virtual queue, but, in the past, we usually rolled into DCA 11ish and all the fastpasses were gone. I might have more chance to get a spot with the virtual queue.

PiratesMansion

At first I was a bit miffed, but really it sounds like it's basically the same thing as before, just on your phone.

Which doesn't really bother me as long as they don't artificially cap the number super low.

If it turns into a nuisance, well, I've only seen WOC a few times anyway because it's such a logistical pain and I'm still not convinced the show is worth the hassle. And I'm one of those crazy out-of-staters with the five day parkhoppers who theoretically has all the time in the world to mess with WOC!

Honestly, I'd rather have PTN back than WOC (it would be so cool to have two nighttime parades going on at the same resort complex at the same time!), but naturally, they didn't ask me. Hopefully this will work well enough, because if not, I'm out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom