News Fantasmic! and World of Color to return in 2022

wdrive

When’s everyone’s best guess for these coming back? I’m going spring for Fantasmic and late summer World of Color

PiratesMansion

I'd imagine that one of them won't be returning until MSEP concludes its run. Can't say for surewhich show would be affected by that because who knows which park MSEP will end up running in (and to my knowledge that hasn't yet been announced).

My guess right now is that MSEP will run at DL and then Fantasmic will return when MSEP is over. This will allow MSEP to run in the park it originated in for its anniversary and will also allow Disney to save labor costs, as WOC is cheaper to run (or at least requires fewer cast members).

RescueTheDay

I'm expecting MSEP within the first three months of the year, followed by Fantasmic before summer. WOC is a toss up for me since I'm unsure how the refurb is going, but I'm hopeful it's ready for Halloween parties next year.

SuddenStorm

So, a friend of a friend is saying that the rumor going around entertainment is that the original Fantasmic will be the version that returns, and that there are a number of people who would return to work the show if it did. They also said summer is the expected reopen.

I kinda doubt the rumor, but it would be pretty amazing to get the original show back with the 2017 quality effects. And would be the one silver lining of the covid closure.

CaptinEO

So, a friend of a friend is saying that the rumor going around entertainment is that the original Fantasmic will be the version that returns, and that there are a number of people who would return to work the show if it did. They also said summer is the expected reopen.

I kinda doubt the rumor, but it would be pretty amazing to get the original show back with the 2017 quality effects. And would be the one silver lining of the covid closure.
Lets hope for this!

VJ

Original Poster

Hate to say it, but it seems your friend's friend is wrong. Details about returning entertainment have been released and Fantasmic! is included:

“Fantasmic!”

“Fantasmic!” has been a “must-see” show for guests for nearly 30 years at Disneyland park. Disney’s longest-running nighttime spectacular is an emotional, energy-filled extravaganza of colorful Disney animated film images, choreographed to an exciting musical score. The waters of the Rivers of America come alive as Mickey Mouse’s power of imagination enables him to create fantastic events and images as seen in some of our most beloved Disney classic films such as “Fantasia,” “The Jungle Book,” “The Little Mermaid” and more. The original fanfare and theme song make this show a Disneyland classic.

Disney Analyst

Hate to say it, but it seems your friend's friend is wrong. Details about returning entertainment have been released and Fantasmic! is included:

I will say, I noticed all the moments mentioned are from the OG show. Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, and Fantasia.

They didn't mention Aladdin, Lion King, or any of the new moments.

I mean, I do suspect 2.0 is the show coming back, but it is interesting.

VJ

Original Poster
I will say, I noticed all the moments mentioned are from the OG show. Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, and Fantasia.

That is true... And I guess the switchover wouldn't require too much work. It could happen. Whether it will is another matter entirely.

Plus, can Disney really make a change like this when the company only has $5 and a wad of lint due to Covid as Bob Chapek won't let us forget? Hard times.

Nland316

I noticed this too. While I do agree about 2.0 coming back, I’m curious what exactly would warrant a return to the original show to begin with? Less expensive to run? Guest feedback?

SuddenStorm

Everything that blog post describes applies to the original show as well, but yes I agree the original probably isn't coming back

Disney Analyst

Everything that blog post describes applies to the original show as well, but yes I agree the original probably isn't coming back

They likely upgraded all the systems when they created 2.0, I am not even sure the programming for 1.0 would exist or function on the system as it is currently setup.

It's possible, but it may also mean if they wanted to do 1.0 they'd need to reprogram everything again.

Or perhaps they always kept it saved and ready to be brought up on the show system, just in case. Disneyland does love the nostalgia angle, so they may have it ready for the nostalgic return of the original Fantasmic.

Emmanuel

They likely upgraded all the systems when they created 2.0, I am not even sure the programming for 1.0 would exist or function on the system as it is currently setup.

It's possible, but it may also mean if they wanted to do 1.0 they'd need to reprogram everything again.

Or perhaps they always kept it saved and ready to be brought up on the show system, just in case. Disneyland does love the nostalgia angle, so they may have it ready for the nostalgic return of the original Fantasmic.

Is the crocodile still even around?

Disney Analyst

Photo from Micechat, lagoon almost full.

D3F19022-41E4-4C12-B2EB-C95E64D868E5.jpeg

This makes more sense now why they built the scaffolding platform for the projector houses, they knew they'd refill lagoon before ready to install the new structures.

PiratesMansion

I maintain that the only thing that was *definitively* better about the original Fantasmic was the Columbia scene, mainly because it was easier to see what was going on...but even then, Peter Pan has never done anything for me and even then I'd argue the scene wasn't flawless, soooooooo........(perhaps some of you loved "Mr. Crocodile, do you like codfish? YOUUU DOOOOOOO?!?!?!?" significantly more than I did).

They were also much better at hiding the dragon prior to the reveal in the original version of the show.

Every single other change was a lateral move.

CaptinEO

I maintain that the only thing that was *definitively* better about the original Fantasmic was the Columbia scene, mainly because it was easier to see what was going on...but even then, Peter Pan has never done anything for me and even then I'd argue the scene wasn't flawless, soooooooo........(perhaps some of you loved "Mr. Crocodile, do you like codfish? YOUUU DOOOOOOO?!?!?!?" significantly more than I did).

They were also much better at hiding the dragon prior to the reveal in the original version of the show.

The Peter Pan dialogue was corny/annoying at parts, not saying its perfect, but I prefer Disney animated movies for the show. I liked the choreography a lot too.

I have no idea whats going on in the Pirates of the Caribbean version. It's just Jack saying "my compass" over and over again.

They redid the main singer of Fantasmic and I greatly prefer the original. To me this is the biggest loss.

I only saw Fantasmic in 2015, after it got fastpass, it was always that thing people camped out for for all day. So I'm not blinded by nostalgia by any means.

Friend Like Me is in too many shows to count, including World of Color across the street.

The original version was much better IMO. The special effects and lighting on the new one are amazing though.

mickEblu

The Peter Pan dialogue was corny/annoying at parts, not saying its perfect, but I prefer Disney animated movies for the show. I liked the choreography a lot too.

I have no idea whats going on in the Pirates of the Caribbean version. It's just Jack saying "my compass" over and over again.

They redid the main singer of Fantasmic and I greatly prefer the original. To me this is the biggest loss.

I only saw Fantasmic in 2015, after it got fastpass, it was always that thing people camped out for for all day. So I'm not blinded by nostalgia by any means.

Friend Like Me is in too many shows to count, including World of Color across the street.

The original version was much better IMO. The special effects and lighting on the new one are amazing though.

I’m not a Fantasmic 1.0 expert as I’ve probably only watched the entire show three times in my life over the span of many years but I agree. The loss of the singer from the first version was huge. She’s not necessarily technically a better singer it’s just she WAS the singing voice of Fantasmic. I also prefer classic Disney properties. Aladdin and Lion King are great movies but I don’t like their presence in the show.

PiratesMansion

The singer change doesn't bother me, but I will grant you the point that modern Disney has clung obsessively to the same five movies and same ten songs in all of their entertainment. When Fantasmic and WOC feature basically the same music and movies, it cheapens both of them. It did feel more balanced before. I must admit that one of my first thoughts after seeing the redone version was "so what's the point of WOC now?" And WOC was already inferior to Fantasmic 1.0.

Although that's less the fault of Fantasmic 2.0 specifically and more on Disney's increasingly narrow view of itself and what properties and ideas from its vast library and resources are "acceptable" to use in its parks.

EDIT: I did forget that they took out the Queen from Snow White also. Add that to the downgrade category for me.

Disney Analyst

The new music works for me. Love the new effects. Magic Carpet. Tangled.

Downgrades for me were:

• Friend like Me Segment. It offers nothing special, at least the Pinocchio puppets were large scaled, adding the "how did they do that?" factor.
  • Witch Transformation cut
  • Mickey on top of the Mill before the finale
  • Dragon rising from stage, which removes the special reveal moment. It looks cool, granted. But I think there's more of a wow when the darkness reveals glowing eyes, and then a full scale dragon is suddenly on the stage.

I think in general my issue with modern Disney shows is they reveal all their cards in the first moments of the show. The best thing about the OG version is that it held stuff back. New effects, new moments were constantly revealed in each scene.

It wasn't until the end that Mickey appeared up top. The lasers only came out at the end, etc.

You need to keep surprises throughout.

CaptinEO

The new music works for me. Love the new effects. Magic Carpet. Tangled.

Downgrades for me were:

• Friend like Me Segment. It offers nothing special, at least the Pinocchio puppets were large scaled, adding the "how did they do that?" factor.
  • Witch Transformation cut
  • Mickey on top of the Mill before the finale
  • Dragon rising from stage, which removes the special reveal moment. It looks cool, granted. But I think there's more of a wow when the darkness reveals glowing eyes, and then a full scale dragon is suddenly on the stage.

I think in general my issue with modern Disney shows is they reveal all their cards in the first moments of the show. The best thing about the OG version is that it held stuff back. New effects, new moments were constantly revealed in each scene.

It wasn't until the end that Mickey appeared up top. The lasers only came out at the end, etc.

You need to keep surprises throughout.
I agree with you and that is entertainment 101, always save the best for last.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom