Fancy but not too expensive?

BenS

Original Poster
My friend and I were hoping to have dinner at a "fancy" restaurant in WDW. We're looking for something with a relatively strict dress code, and of course good food, without breaking the bank.

Everything in the $$$$ price range (as Disney puts it) is too expensive, and everything I've seen in the $$$ range is less than what we're looking for. Might I be overlooking something? (I've never had a sit-down meal at WDW, so this is new to me)

We'll both be over 21 at the time, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help. And I know this might sound like a…slightly weird question. But we're slightly weird people. :)

NiarrNDisney

Which restaurants have you considered? What kind of food are you looking for? Price range? I need a little more info, that way I won't suggest any you have looked at and then I can better undersatnd what your looking for.

~edit~

BTW for Signature Dining the dress code is as follows:

"Buisness Casual"

Men - may wear dress pants, jeans, trousers or dress shorts along with a collard shirt.

Women - may wear jeans, skirts, dresses, or dress shorts with a blouse or sweater

The only place that requires a stricter dress code is Victoria & Albert's which is evening attire for Ladies and a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Otherwise most restaurants are casual.

nepalostparks

My friend and I were hoping to have dinner at a "fancy" restaurant in WDW. We're looking for something with a relatively strict dress code, and of course good food, without breaking the bank.

Everything in the $$$$ price range (as Disney puts it) is too expensive, and everything I've seen in the $$$ range is less than what we're looking for. Might I be overlooking something? (I've never had a sit-down meal at WDW, so this is new to me)

We'll both be over 21 at the time, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help. And I know this might sound like a…slightly weird question. But we're slightly weird people. :)

On the dress code:

Unfortunately, Disney doesn't enforce a "relatively strict dress code" in almost any of its restaurants. (Victoria & Albert's is an exception)

We had a meal at the Yachtsman Steakhouse on our last trip, and it's a "Signature Dining" experience. There is a recommended dress code, and we expected since it was a bit higher end experience to be generally followed. So we changed from shorts and tees to slacks and polos... and left our baseball caps in the room. We assumed others would do the same. Well, most other patrons were in tees and shorts... a few came in flip flops, kept their baseball caps on, etc.

With all that said, for us, it wasn't a big deal, just a little surprising. The meal was still very good, and I would recommend the place for anyone looking for a good steak.

But since you mentioned looking for a relatively strict dress code, most Disney restaurants aren't going to fit into that category.

BenS

Original Poster
On the dress code:

Unfortunately, Disney doesn't enforce a "relatively strict dress code" in almost any of its restaurants. (Victoria & Albert's is an exception)

We had a meal at the Yachtsman Steakhouse on our last trip, and it's a "Signature Dining" experience. There is a recommended dress code, and we expected since it was a bit higher end experience to be generally followed. So we changed from shorts and tees to slacks and polos... and left our baseball caps in the room. We assumed others would do the same. Well, most other patrons were in tees and shorts... a few came in flip flops, kept their baseball caps on, etc.

With all that said, for us, it wasn't a big deal, just a little surprising. The meal was still very good, and I would recommend the place for anyone looking for a good steak.

But since you mentioned looking for a relatively strict dress code, most Disney restaurants aren't going to fit into that category.

Thanks, this is pretty much what I wanted to know. :)

RiversideBunny

May I suggest the Grand Floridian Cafe? It's not a signature place but is very nice and elegant. Prices are good.
The madding crowd does not go there so you should find that it fits yours wants and desires.

:)

DrummerAlly

I'd also suggest dining later in the evening when families with small children are less likely to be there. My guess is that you would find any of the restaurants becoming slightly more formal as the night goes on.

rsoxguy

Was the California Grill atop the Contemporary outside of your price range? It's a nice place and people tend to dress a bit less informal. The atmosphere is nice and the view is great.

harveyt0206

Finding a strictly enforced dress code at a theme park might be a bit hard. I think most of the restaurants tend to be very lax on their dress codes because they understand that most people are coming straight from one park or another. When we went to California Grill we did "dress up" a bit as we too were looking for a nice dinner experience. Artist Point was also nice, but at both places we saw folks in shorts and tees. It didn't bother us but I would say that you should expect to see that at most any Disney restaurant except Victoria and Alberts.

WDW1974

Disney doesn't enforce dress codes, except at V&A's (which is AMAZING but not what you are looking for) and people are pigs largely these days. Tees and flip-flops don't belong at signature locales, but The Mouse won't turn away a penny.

As to suggestions, that's very hard for me to say since you've never had a full-serve meal, you don't mention what foods you like/dislike, whether you want a buffet and exactly what your budget is.

Basically, you asked an impossible question. Fill in the blanks and I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions.

njDizFan

Yeah as said repeatedly, dress code is not strictly enforced. As far as price, most sit down dinner meals will not range much more from $30-$50/ per person, even including buffets(around $30-$35/person). A nice sit down meal with appetizer and desert will be around $50/person, not including beverages.

My suggestion is www.allears.net, read the menus and plan accordingly.

stlbobby

My suggestions for you would be Shutter's at Old Port Royale, Boatwrights, or Olivia's. These are more moderately priced places, but they have great menus and a nice atmosphere. They are in resorts that are off the beaten path so they tend to be a bit more relaxed. They don't have a dress code, but as has been stated the dress codes are just suggestions anyway.

In the parks you might try Mama Melrose or The Brown Derby at DHS. MM can be busy, but the layout keeps things somewhat intimate, and as far as price to quality it is one of the best at WDW. At the Derby go and order the Cobb Salad. It is the signature dish and quite affordable.

At MK I'd try Tony's.

EPCOT might be difficult as the eateries tend toward high end or CS, but try slipping out to the Boardwalk for Kouzzina's or The Brew Works.

Animal Kingdom's choices are limited as is, and even the higher end ones are extremely boisterous.

And finally I'd always ask when you check-in for the quietest table possible. The hosts know what tables are the best and will accommodate you if you are willing to wait a few extra minutes.

durangojim

I'd recommend California Grill. Great food, wonderful drinks, awesome sushi. Best part is that you can order off the entire menu in the lounge and enjoy the view of the fireworks at MK. Also you can just order sushi and appetizers if you want to keep the prices low, or share an entre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom