Family of five accomodations

KimviG

Hi everyone I'm brand new to these forums and just recently spent a week at POP last April with my BF, His DD 11, My DS 7 and our DS who turned 3 this June. We had such a blast we are planning on going back in April of 2007. Now that my DS is 3 we need to stay in a room that accomadates 5 people. I would love to stay in a Savannah view w/bunk beds at AKL but my BF thinks its too expensive. I got really excited when I heard about the new family suites at ASMU. They would give my family alot of space and having the kitchenette would be nice. Does anyone know if the All Stars share buses in April?? My other option would be to get a room with a trundle bed at POR, it would be a little less expensive but it would mean less room too. I have heard good things about about POR and it would be cool to experience a moderate resort for the first time. Has anyone stayed at both these resorts that could give me some insight on which option I should choose?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The All Stars share busses year round depending on capacity. If buses are filling up they will add more on to the route.

The Value Suites are a definite step up on room size VS the rooms at PO. The biggest draw back to the Suites so far is that Disney as a rule does not discount suites. When we checked into them for our early October trip they were around $250-$275 per night vs $175 @ PORS. The $175 is the rack rate and will more than likely be discounted when FL resident or AP rates come out.

You do have several other options such as the cabins at the FT Wilderness , the Contemporary and AKL. All of which can be had for around the $200 area if you can get the AP or Fl resident discount. Another option is to looking at renting DVC points and staying at a DVC resort. I have no done this myself but from what I hear you can get into one of the studios for under $200 per night.

Your best bet is to contact Pam at Kingdom Konsultants. She can lay out all the options for you (with the exception of renting DVC points) and book all your rooms for you. If a discount that becomes available that you will qualify for she will automatically rebook you under the new rate.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Master Yoda said:
You do have several other options such as the cabins at the FT Wilderness , the Contemporary and AKL. All of which can be had for around the $200 area if you can get the AP or Fl resident discount. Another option is to looking at renting DVC points and staying at a DVC resort. I have no done this myself but from what I hear you can get into one of the studios for under $200 per night.

Most, if not all, of the studios would be kinda small for 5 people, even if one of the people is small. But maybe you could rent enough points for a one-bedroom, and use the full kitchen to save money on eating and the full laundry in the room so you don't have to pack as much, while not having to sit in a warm laundromat when you'd rather be in the parks or poolside.

EDIT: My mistake. With the exception of the Boardwalk Villas "Studio plus daybed" category, it seems that all DVC studios AND one-bedroom units are only meant to accomodate 4 people, plus one child UNDER three. Maybe you can get away with three children there, but since they're all three or older, you might want to check it out with Disney first if you opt to go this route.

Upvote 0

KimviG

Original Poster
POR sounds nice

and it would be cheaper but I'm definatley leaning towards the family suites now after seeing the pictures. Even though we spend most of our time in the parks having two bathrooms, two t.v.s, and a fridge is really tempting for the extra $633.00

Upvote 0

Lucky

AKL is very expensive. We stayed a few years ago when a promotion made it cheaper (pay for 4 nights, get 3 free). If you don't decide to stay there, you might want to visit it, to look at the animals and eat at Boma Restaurant.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

how do I contact Kingdom Konsultants, is there a link or somthing I can use. Because I am having a problem too... I have 6 people in my family 4 adults and 2 kids. and I need to talk to someone from KK...

Upvote 0

Personally I would choose the Fort Wilderness cabins. It has a private room with a bunk bed and a full size bed and then there's a queen size murphy bed in the living/dining area. Its great for families because during the day the murphy bed is closed up and there is so much space in there to just hang out, not to mention the fully equipped kitchen and grill on your own little wood deck porch. You also have your own parking spot right in front of your cabin. It just makes everything so much easier when you've got those little comforts. Also you've got the marina on this resort that takes you to MK on the boat every 15 minutes and also the campfires at night are great if you're into that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you want the extra room, go for the ASM suites or one of the deluxes that sleep 5. If you want to save money go for POR. I have stayed in POR with the trundle and it worked fine. We felt that we were just sleeping there, so the room size did not matter.

AKl only sleeps 4 so that is really not an option for a family of 5. You could try for the Polynesian, the Contemporary, The Yacht or Beach Club or the Boardwalk.

The Ft. Wilderness Cabins is a good choice if you are looking for a home away from home. But please keep in mind that many times you have to rent a golf cart to get around the campground and it can run up the expense of your trip. I do believe it's around $45-$50 per night of stay to rent one.

If you need help with your upcoming trip, please feel free to contact me.

Pam

Upvote 0

EPCOT_Rocks

Stay at the Contemporary. Ask for a room with a couch (they used to all come that way but not sure now). The rooms are more, but the rooms are the biggest standard rooms I have ever seen in any hotel, anywhere. Also, there is something extra special about having a monorail wisk through your hotel every 2 or 3 minutes.

Upvote 0

KimviG

Original Poster
Now I'm leaning towards POR w/ a trundle

I can't make up my mind now that I've looked at pictures from POR we are only just sleeping there and only having to stop at one other resort on the bus seems better than two other resort stops. I also heard that you get a fridge in your room anyway at POR which would be fine for keeping drinks cold during the night I don't really need a microwave or anything. I would love to stay at AKL or POLY or even WL. But I'd rather save the money and use it in the parks for dining and souveniers and stuff.We did fine in the one small room at POP all together I'm sure we can manage POR. Does anyone know how much bigger the rooms with trundles (I think they are only in the Alligator Bayou) are compared to a room at POP? Also can you use the facilities at FQ when you stay at POR and how far of a walk is it to FQ from POR?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
KimviG said:
I can't make up my mind now that I've looked at pictures from POR we are only just sleeping there and only having to stop at one other resort on the bus seems better than two other resort stops. I also heard that you get a fridge in your room anyway at POR which would be fine for keeping drinks cold during the night I don't really need a microwave or anything. I would love to stay at AKL or POLY or even WL. But I'd rather save the money and use it in the parks for dining and souveniers and stuff.We did fine in the one small room at POP all together I'm sure we can manage POR. Does anyone know how much bigger the rooms with trundles (I think they are only in the Alligator Bayou) are compared to a room at POP? Also can you use the facilities at FQ when you stay at POR and how far of a walk is it to FQ from POR?

PO is IMHO the best of the moderates. The rooms with the trundles really are not much bigger then the values, about 30-40 square feet but there are 2 sinks. We have 3 girls (15,12 and 5) so the trundle works great for the 5 year old. If she was older and larger it might feel a little tight. My MO is to get up early get ready and then vacate the room while the others get ready. (I changed diapers on these girls but now that they are young women I am forbidden to see them in less than a snow suit.:hammer: ) This seems to free us some space in the room. If all 5 were trying to get ready at the same time it could be a little cramp.

Depending on where you are at RS FQ can be kind of a far walk but not too terrible.

AKL, Poly and WL are really nice but IMHO they are not that much better at rack rates when compared to PO. With an AP discount they become a very viable option but without it the price is a little too steep. With the exception of the Contemporary and the Poly the rooms aren't that much bigger to offset the cost. The thing that really sets the deluxe resorts apart are the restaurants and the atmosphere which you can experience by visiting the resort.

As far as quality of service it is exceptional at all levels of Disney resorts.

Bottom line you will save a pretty penny staying at PO vs. a deluxe resort. You can use some of this savings on a few nice dinners at the deluxe resorts.

Upvote 0

Neverwhere

Lucky said:
AKL is very expensive. We stayed a few years ago when a promotion made it cheaper (pay for 4 nights, get 3 free). If you don't decide to stay there, you might want to visit it, to look at the animals and eat at Boma Restaurant.

It depends when you go and where you're willing to stay. If you are willing to stay in a standard room, and have AAA or an AP, AKL is really not that expensive. AKL and WL are the two cheapest deluxes and worth every penny.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom