family of 6 Question.

monorailguy01

Well I just wanted to know how hard is it to take a family of 6 to Disney for a week. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Would it be worth it to stay in 2 rooms, or cabin? Should I stay off property and drive to the parks?

I am looking for people who have a big family like mine 6 or more members, and to see how they manage a vacation in the world.

Thanks a bunch.

scpergj

Well I just wanted to know how hard is it to take a family of 6 to Disney for a week. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Would it be worth it to stay in 2 rooms, or cabbin? Should I stay off property and drive to the park?

I am looking for people who have a big family like mine 6 or more members, and to see how they manage a vacation in the world.

Thanks a bunch.

We don't have 6, only 4, but here are a couple of things that we do to lower costs as much as we can. We only live in Jacksonvlle, a couple of hours drive, so we don't have to stop for groceries...

We try to do most breakfasts in the room, which can save a bit of money. Also, we carry our own water and some light snacks (we do get icecream or something like that a couple of times a trip, tho). I can't tell you about rooms, except if one of your kids is real young (not sure about the rules), you might be able to stay in a delux. They have two queen beds, a twin daybed, and plenty of room for a crib. You could also try for one of the new family suites at one of the All Stars (can't remember which)...or just connecting rooms at a value (that way you'd get two bathrooms!)

Hope someone is able to help more!

Kevin

Upvote 0

elabron

Depending on your budget, you could opt for a suite. The hospitality suites at the Contemporary are great.....they sleep 7 and have 2 1/2 bathrooms, kitchen with full size fridge, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, dining area. It's one bedroom with 2 queen beds and a daybed, but the living room couch is a double sleeper sofa.

If you need pics, e-mail me at elabron@yahoo.com.

Also, you could go for a "home away from home" resort.

Upvote 0

sissa216

It's really not all that different. we're going again in October with 8 kids and 5 or 6 adults, and it doesn't feel overwhelming.
We mostly stay at FW on a campsite, so I can't help with the room question. :shrug: But I definitely recommend staying on property versus off, if you can.
As for the parks, just plan for things to take a little extra time than you may be used to with just a few of you.

If you have little ones, make sure to use child swaps at most of the height restricted attractions!!

Upvote 0

justducky78

You could consider renting DVC points through the Disney Vacation Club.
You can get a 1-2 bedroom villa at the Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, etc with a kitchenette, etc.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Would it be worth it to stay in 2 rooms, or cabin? Should I stay off property and drive to the parks?

Thanks a bunch.

We just got back last week from WDW and we had 6 people in adjoining rooms at POP. That worked well for us. Although the value resort rooms are relatively small, the adjoining rooms gave us 2 restrooms, televisions, sinks, etc. and it was fine. We also tended to go to the parks at 8:30am and were always out until evening, so we weren't in the room much.

Another option in this price range would be a family suite at the All Star Music resort.

Enjoy your trip. That was our first time with more than 4 people and we found it even more fun with the larger group.

Upvote 0

Gagesmom314

We are going in May with 3 adults and two children. We are getting two rooms at All Star Movies. We have read about how small the rooms are at the AS resorts and decided that since we could afford it it only made sense for us to go with two rooms.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We are are a party of 5 that has recently been expanded to a party of 6 thanks to my oldest daughters boyfriend traveling with us. The most economical way is to get 2 rooms at one of the value resorts. Occasionally the cabins at Ft Wilderness will be discounted enough to be in line with 2 rooms at a value resort but not that often. The value suites will also sleep 6 but they are slightly more expensive than 2 rooms at a value. Also Disney does not discount suites. IMHO the suites are not worth the money especially if you can get an AP rate on a standard room at a value. That being said depending on the time of year you are going and your length of stay you might want to look into one member of your party getting an AP which can save you about 20%-30% on your room rate if a discount is available. One person with an AP can book up to 3 rooms at an AP rate.

Upvote 0

coastermom

You can always try the family suites at All Star Music. We are a family of 5 and are going there for the fact that there are two full bathrooms and a kittchenette. With two teenaged girls and a 5 year old son we need lots of bathroom time. It seems that the kitchen has a small dorm size fridge and a microwave . Enough for small breakfasts in the room. It is slightly more then a POR room but BIGGER then a POR room. It is also in a perfered location which means closer to the food court. I am going late july early aug and the kids can't wait :sohappy: .

Upvote 0

momofnine

Hi,
As you can tell by my name, I have a big family! :lol: We go to disney quite often. We have a motor home, so the campground works great for us. With the restrooms there, we never have to worry about enough space.
With a cabin, they might have the bath house nearby. In the bath house area they also have a washing machine area, which can come in handy.
One thing that we also like is the dining plan, everything is then included, walk up meal, sit down meal, and a snack, everything is paid for before you go. As I'm sure you know, with a big group the meals get kinda expensive. This way you can go and enjoy yourself, kinda like and all inclusive. The parks are alot of fun, you didn't say how old your children are, we range from 24 years (and married) all the way down to 2 years.
We use the rider switch passes that someone has already suggested, because the little ones can't do all the bigger rides. Everyone goes on the
rides with the little ones (we use them as an excuse for having to ride dumbo!). It does take longer to do the parks because we have to count on doing each big ride twice, so everyone can have a chance. Disney is alot of fun, let everyone pick something to do, but they have to understand that they also do what the others pick,
WITHOUT complaining!:zipit:
Have fun, enjoy! :wave:

Upvote 0
Im going in nov. and its gonna be 7 of us. I go every year but this is the 1st time im going with a lot of people. we have conjoining rooms at port orleans riverside. i think the best thing to do is get a conjoining room at whatever resort you choose on disney property and use disney transportation. i think it would be a lot less hectic. also, take your time with things down there. the more people you go with, it can get a little overwhelming. have fun and enjoy.....by the way, im from jersey 2!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

honeymooner05

We're going in October with 11 people and we're able to stay at the Beach Club Villas. Dining is usually a little difficult with a large group. We like counter service because you don't have a time that you need to be at a specific place but it's difficult to find seating for a large group at times. So we eat breakfasts in the room and sometimes for dinner we'll go to the Marketplace and get something from the freezer and cook it in the oven back in the room. The kitchen is very handy with a large group, and the food you cook yourself is less expensive then having everyone go out.

Upvote 0

coltow

I am the oldest of 5. When my parents would take us each year we would stay in Kississimee in a condo. My parents found it cheaper and easier to stay off site with 5 kids. We would eat breakfast there and we were still close enough to take an afternoon break when needed.

Upvote 0

jesserin

You can rent DVC resorts (villas) directly from Disney. Go on the regular site and look for those accomodations. I think this is the best alternative to two rooms.

If you can afford it, my suggestion would be to get a DVC resort. hands down.

If that ends up being too expensive... I'd suggest the AS Music Suites. At around $150-199 a night it's the next best deal while still staying onsite.

If that's too expensive (hey once you count in food and tickets... it might be) you'll have to go offsite... BUT

My family (of 6) always stayed at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista. Now I'm all for staying onsite, but I do agree that sometimes it just works out to be ALOT more cost effective to stay off site. If you do go this option the Embassy Suites INCLUDES a full cooked to order breakfast every morning, free shuttles all day to all the disney parks, and a managers reception with wine/beer/cocktails and lots of snacks every evening. My family stayed here for many years and we always found it to be a great alternative to onsite. We saved buckets by having a BIG breakfast everymorning at the hotel, and snacks in the evening.

Just my .02 Going with 6 is never cheap - but there are options out there for every budget! :) Have fun!

Upvote 0
If you are booking two rooms remember to ask for CONNECTING ROOMS. Adjoining rooms are only guaranteed to be close together, connecting rooms have an inside door between them. Could make a big difference. Also you can't book more rooms than you have adults in your party, so if there will be one adult and five kids, you will have to get a suite or cabin or something that is considered one unit as you won't be able to book two rooms, connecting or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Aurora_25

Are DVC points expensive to rent?
You can rent them from a DVC owner (and you don't have to go directly through Disney that way) I know that most DVC owners will rent them for about $10 a point- some may rent for less, others more- but $10 is about the average. That being said- depending on the time you are going makes the points lower or higher. I am a DVC member so if you want to let me know your exact dates or when you are thinking of going- I can tell you how many points it would be. It also depends on how big a room you want. For the one bedroom it's less than the 2 bedroom. We have 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and have done all the rooms except the 3 bedroom.
Again, let me know what time of the year you are looking at and I can give you a better idea of how many points it would be so you would get an idea of how much that would cost compared to the all stars or something like that...

Upvote 0

ELopez

We are a family of six, and going to WDW is a blast! I would also be interested in hearing about the DVC points.

You didn't give the specifics of your family, but if there are 4 children, and any of them are small, I suggest dressing them alike (or at least like colors). We have 4 young children and it is easy for us to see eachother, and others realize we are together (and don't try to get between parents and children).

We also split up for a few hours in the afternoon. I take the smallest one/ones for some Fantasyland time or a nap in the stroller (while I shop!). Daddy takes the older ones for some thrill rides.

For adults/older kids - make sure you have cell phones to stya in touch when you separate (I love those 2-way radios, but they are a pain in WDW).

We have stayed in the cabins (LOVE them for the full kitchen, but they are a bit cramped if everyone is an adult or teen). We've also taken our camper - best campground ever with lots of great ammenities (also makes it cheap!). Before we had the 4th child we stayed in various resorts. This Fall we are considering 2 value resort rooms.

Have fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom