Family forced to stay in WDW and cant leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThumperDude

Back in '96 while I was at DL, we were in the new ToonTown section and a woman lost her child. This happened about 50 ft. from us. Thankfully the child was quickly found.
But a few minutes later while standing in line for 'Roger Rabbit' ride, a CM asked us what all the yelling was about. We told her about the lost child then she said, 'Did we go into lock down'? Of course we didn't know. But I guess Disney has that policy in extreme situations.
Good to know Disney is looking out for us. And most guests wouldn't mind a lock down if it saved a child.

jasonchas

I believe he's serious. What makes you think that WDW doesn't go into lockdown if a child is reported missing?

But, according to another poster, it had to do with possible counterfeit money. In that case, WDW would only have to keep the alleged criminals until the sheriff (and possibly FBI) arrive. As mentioned, once the police arrive, it would be out of WDW's hands. It would be up to the local authorities to either take them to the police station, or keep them there until the FBI arrived.

I think I would rather wait at WDW, thank you very much.

The Mom is correct. However, counterfeiting is one crime that is handled by the Secret Service (for some odd reason) and not the FBI. So, the seceret service in the area would be called in to investigate.

phichi17

The Mom is correct. However, counterfeiting is one crime that is handled by the Secret Service (for some odd reason) and not the FBI. So, the seceret service in the area would be called in to investigate.
I never understood that either, but it is one of their responsibilities.

valorus

I never understood that either, but it is one of their responsibilities.

The Secret Service investigates counterfeiting because they were originally a division of the Treasury Department formed specifically for that purpose. The Secret Service is now part of the Department of Homeland Security, (moved when the U.S. Law Enforcement and Intelligence Agencies were reorganized in 2003.)

I'm guessing this family is suing because they were most likely held at Disney World while the Sherrif's Department conducted an investigation. They're probably also upset because a Disney employee may have had made the allegation. :zipit:

Secret Service will eventually investigate counterfeit money.. but if it's a $20.00 bill and the family isn't admitting it right off, there aren't going to be Secret Service agents swooping in for something as petty as that. Typically the SO would investigate, try to figure out the source of the counterfeit money and then forward the report to the SS if necessary.

I'm guessing the SO concluded the family was: not involved, unaware they had accepted counterfeit bills, or at the point where any federal involvement was not necessary.

C&D

I would think Disney Security, on Disney property and working with other law enforcement departments, would have the power to detain if there was probably cause. (There are, for sure, worse places to be detained; and I would think Disney was respectful of the detainees for the duration.)

sophiesmom

In June 2002 my friends little boy got lost in AK an they did SHUT the park down. No one was allowed in or out of there until we found him. He was 4 at the time so that may have had something to do with it.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
In June 2002 my friends little boy got lost in AK an they did SHUT the park down. No one was allowed in or out of there until we found him. He was 4 at the time so that may have had something to do with it.
Here's a tip from a CM... parks do not actually "shut down". You may be TOLD that, but that is not the case. HOWEVER, security as well as Ops and Duty managers are alerted of the description and keep a keen eye on the park entrances.

MickeyTigg

So A news snippet for 10 o'clock news with WRDQ Chanel 27 (chanel 10 if you have Bright House) just had a clip about a family that is suing disney because they were held in the theme parks against their will. Anyone have ANY clue what is going on with this?!?!?!? If not, guess I will have to wait until 10.

Maybe they won the "Night in Cinderella Castle" prize.

:lookaroun

sophiesmom

Here's a tip from a CM... parks do not actually "shut down". You may be TOLD that, but that is not the case. HOWEVER, security as well as Ops and Duty managers are alerted of the description and keep a keen eye on the park entrances.

Funny because when we got on the bus to go back to the hotel a group of travelers were talking about how they were unable to leave for about 25 minutes and were wondering why. SO we gladly introduced them to the child who caused the lock down.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Funny because when we got on the bus to go back to the hotel a group of travelers were talking about how they were unable to leave for about 25 minutes and were wondering why. SO we gladly introduced them to the child who caused the lock down.
Having done an internship as a Duty/Parking/Admissions manager at P.I. and being cross trained as duty in SEVERAL parks, I can assure you this is not the case.

In addition, if you knew how many lost parents there were at any given time, you would know why there is no such thing as a "park lock down". When covering at Typhoon Lagoon on one such instance, I had 11 sets of lost parents AT THE SAME TIME.

sophiesmom

Having done an internship as a Duty/Parking/Admissions manager at P.I. and being cross trained as duty in SEVERAL parks, I can assure you this is not the case.

I am really lying making all this up!!!! Was this prior to 2002? Maybe this was the protocol back in June of 2002. I saw it happen were you there to see? In fact when it became apparent he was missing we grabbed the first cast member who happend to have a radio thank God. He told us at that moment that the gates would closed not to panic and he would not get out of the park. We were a big group so we all split up and my husband and I actually went to the front of the park and saw the back up from the gates being closed. It took about 20 minutes to find him and it was very scary for his family, for him, and the rest our group. In fact we still talk about it because we always tell him that out of all the kids that were there if any of them would be resposible for shutting down an entire park it would be him.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
I am really lying making all this up!!!! Was this prior to 2002? Maybe this was the protocol back in June of 2002. I saw it happen were you there to see? In fact when it became apparent he was missing we grabbed the first cast member who happend to have a radio thank God. He told us at that moment that the gates would closed not to panic and he would not get out of the park. We were a big group so we all split up and my husband and I actually went to the front of the park and saw the back up from the gates being closed. It took about 20 minutes to find him and it was very scary for his family, for him, and the rest our group. In fact we still talk about it because we always tell him that out of all the kids that were there if any of them would be resposible for shutting down an entire park it would be him.
What I'm saying is it's possible the cast member told you that. There are many occasions where a cast member will tell people things to make them more comfortable. What I'm telling you is the way it REALLY works, reguardless of what you're told. Kind of like, a ride breaks down, but it didn't break down, stitch is running rampent. Or if you call the DRC and the systems are down, CMs are not to tell you the system is down, but rather, it is being upgraded or enhanced. I'm not calling you a liar. You probably WERE told what you have mentioned above. I'm letting you know, as someone who has led the protocal to find a lost parent, how it really works. And I was there in August of 02 through January of 02. If you stop and ask any duty manager hanging around the front gate, or any security cast member at the front gate, or even guest relations (or you can email guest correspondence) they will be happy to go into detail on the protocal for lost adults.

Timmay

I would find it odd if Disney did not allow visitors to leave the parks during a lost or missing child…even in the event of confirmation that a child has been abducted. Not saying they don’t, but I truly wonder about the legality of holding people against their will if they are not specifically suspected of a crime.

mary219

makes sense

I can easily see any large area(such as a theme park,or superstore etc.)locking down for a lost child.Most kids are reunited very quickly (at least from my experiences).I would think that after a certain point ,most places nowadays may halt entrances and check all who leave or chose to remain.While this wasnt the topic of the original story,the lockdown theory for a missing child would seem to be an option.I would be happy to comply if it meant the difference between a missing child being found and a missing child being kidnapped out of the park.Unfortunately,there are a lot of sick people out there and these are the things that we have to deal with as a society.Even somewhere that seems as wholesome as WDW.

mary219

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

yes,i can remember a certain 18 yr old girl who at the tender age of 4,caused quite a stir in sesame place.Only to be found sitting at the lost parents spot,twirling her curls and being quite annoyed that she had to sit and wait until we got there.

mary219

saddest

the saddest part of all is that we live in a world where we have to assume the worst when a kid is lost and not found immediately.

wdwishes2005

What's sad is parents lacking to tell their child how to prevent being abducted in a public place. Nobody, no matter how unable to fight off someone, should be able to be abducted in a place with 5-6 other people within 5 feet of them at all times. Then again I may be overrating how likely it is that someone will help. I always keep an eye out for things like that, but I'm paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom