Family forced to stay in WDW and cant leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iakona

What's sad is parents lacking to tell their child how to prevent being abducted in a public place. Nobody, no matter how unable to fight off someone, should be able to be abducted in a place with 5-6 other people within 5 feet of them at all times. Then again I may be overrating how likely it is that someone will help. I always keep an eye out for things like that, but I'm paranoid.

A majority of schools teach things like this on one form or naother. However, you completely ignore the terror that can easily be paced int a child's mind by threats.

I truly wonder about the legality of holding people against their will if they are not specifically suspected of a crime.

Indeed this is against the law, it is known as the tort of wrongful inprisonment:

"False imprisonment is the infliction of bodily restraint which is not expressly or impliedly authorized by law. It consists of the complete deprivation of liberty at any time, however short without lawful cause."

jmvd20

This is amusing, I can't believe people are seriously buying into this. Why in the world would WDW shut the gates to the parks for missing persons?

I can see it now, a 47 year old couple tries to walk out of the park...

CM: "No I'm sorry you can't leave. There is a missing 2 year old and we have to hold you until the parents say you are not their child." :hammer: :brick: :hammer:

The Mom

Premium Member
This is amusing, I can't believe people are seriously buying into this. Why in the world would WDW shut the gates to the parks for missing persons?

I can see it now, a 47 year old couple tries to walk out of the park...

CM: "No I'm sorry you can't leave. There is a missing 2 year old and we have to hold you until the parents say you are not their child." :hammer: :brick: :hammer:

I think it's a matter of semantics. I personally used the term "lockdown" because it's shorter than saying " security is slowing down those exiting the park so they can take a closer look at children who fit the description," which would slow things down. I hardly think they would stop a 47 year old couple who had no children with them. And they would probably let those who only had an infant, or teenagers, go through without taking a second look...unless they were looking for a child in that age group.

But would WDW security actually detain someone because they're dragging a screaming child out? :shrug: I suspect they would be detaining a lot of families if that were the case. :lol:

Granted, in my case it was at a resort, so there were no gates to lock. And I guess the CMs were just pretending when they were talking to security in other areas of the resort, including a couple of guards dispatched to the exits. I'll keep that in mind if my son, or someday, grandchildren, go permanently missing, so I can take down names. ;)

But, since that has nothing to do with the case reported on the news, it's a moot point.

jmvd20

I think it's a matter of semantics. I personally used the term "lockdown" because it's shorter than saying" security is slowing down those exiting the park so they can take a closer look at children who fit the description," which would slow things down. I hardly think they would stop a 47 year old couple who had no children with them. And they would probably let those who only had an infant, or teenagers, go through without taking a second look...unless they were looking for a child in that age group.

I wasn't referring to what you had posted, just the general thoughts of the park gates really closing. I just got that humorus image of teenagers, senior citizens etc... not being allowed to leave until it can be confirmed they are not the missing child :D.

I would fully expect that security and CM's would indeed be watching the gates if someone was reported as being abducted, and would indeed question anyone suspicous or matching the missing persons description.

bates1960

I really enjoy when non-CM's discuss how things REALLY happen in WDW without actually knowing anything.

For the past two and a half years I have worked in the Magic Kingdom, and not ONCE did we ever "shut the gates" due to a situation like the ones mentioned. Do you even think about the logistics involved in such a situation? It's not like the front entrance has endless room to hold Guests while they apparently are not allowed in or out. You would have to notify every bus, monorail, and boat driver to stop doing their jobs so there wouldn't be a huge gathering of Guests piling up outside the turnstiles. Come on. All for a lost child, which happens every minute of every day? I don't think so. Take it from the people who work in these Parks every day of their lives and who have seen almost every imaginable situation; shutting the Park down for a lost Guest doesn't happen.

Anyway...

jmvd20

I really enjoy when non-CM's discuss how things REALLY happen in WDW without actually knowing anything.

For the past two and a half years I have worked in the Magic Kingdom, and not ONCE did we ever "shut the gates" due to a situation like the ones mentioned. Do you even think about the logistics involved in such a situation? ...

It's exactly how myths and urban legends propagate.

No, usually people do not think about anything at all in such situations. It basically boils down to the fact that the more you hear something, the more likely you are to believe it.

As far as the CM's go, it seems as if they are usually the ones spreading the myths.

The Mom

Premium Member

For the past two and a half years I have worked in the Magic Kingdom, and not ONCE did we ever "shut the gates" due to a situation like the ones mentioned. Do you even think about the logistics involved in such a situation? It's not like the front entrance has endless room to hold Guests while they apparently are not allowed in or out. You would have to notify every bus, monorail, and boat driver to stop doing their jobs so there wouldn't be a huge gathering of Guests piling up outside the turnstiles. Come on. All for a lost child, which happens every minute of every day? I don't think so. Take it from the people who work in these Parks every day of their lives and who have seen almost every imaginable situation; shutting the Park down for a lost Guest doesn't happen.

Anyway...

So you are authoratively saying that gate security is NOT notified, and guests with children are not checked as they are exiting the park? No effort is made to funnel people through one or two exits so that they can be checked more efficiently?

I am well aware that most missing children are not abducted, and most are not missing for more than a couple of minutes. (In my daughter's case, she was less than 20 feet from me, but was sitting next to some bushes so could only be seen from a certain angle. She claimed she never heard me calling her.)

So, I don't think I'm the only parent who is a little concerned to discover that WDW doesn't do anything to try to prevent a missing child from leaving the park, with or without an abductor.

JikoMarie

they will be happy to go into detail on the protocal for lost adults.

Could the problem with this discussion be that the two of you are talking about different things? The other poster is talking about lost children and you are talking about lost adults. There's a world of difference. Of course, they probably wouldn't go into lockdown for missing adults but for children, as the poster described, it does make sense. I know that you feel you have some expertise on the matter having worked there but I believe the poster when she described witnessing lockdown at the front gates with her own eyes when a child in her party went missing. Why would she lie about that?

The Mom

Premium Member
I think that CMs refer to lost adults, as in "Little girl, we'll find your lost Mommy."

And I think that the term "lockdown" is the problem. I meant it figuratively; I didn't think that they would actually close and lock the gates, but rather that they would go into an increased security mode at the exits, and scrutinize people more carefully, which would result in the same sort of bottleneck the entrance screening causes.

But apparently, according to some of the CMs and former CMs, even that isn't done.

jmvd20

Could the problem with this discussion be that the two of you are talking about different things? The other poster is talking about lost children and you are talking about lost adults. There's a world of difference. Of course, they probably wouldn't go into lockdown for missing adults but for children, as the poster described, it does make sense. I know that you feel you have some expertise on the matter having worked there but I believe the poster when she described witnessing lockdown at the front gates with her own eyes when a child in her party went missing. Why would she lie about that?

No, it really doesn't make sense to completely lock down the park gates. Why in the world would teenagers, adults without children, and people not matching the description not be allowed in or out of the park?

On top of that it is not legal to hold someone inside of the park unless they are the subject of a criminal investigation. I can guarantee you I am leaving the park if I want to leave the park period, end of story

jmvd20

And I think that the term "lockdown" is the problem. I meant it figuratively; I didn't think that they would actually close and lock the gates, but rather that they would go into an increased security mode at the exits, and scrutinize people more carefully, which would result in the same sort of bottleneck the entrance screening causes.

Someone a few pages back actually stated that they closed the gates and no one was allowed in or out of the park for about 25 minutes. That is where I got the term lock down from. I didn't mean anything negative about your post but was referring to someone else's.

I would be shocked if they did not increase security and watch the exits as you have described, especially in an extreme case. It would make perfect sense to me and if anyone was suspicous or matched the missing childs description they should be stopped and questioned. As a parent I would expect that to happen.

Bill Smugs

The Mom is correct. However, counterfeiting is one crime that is handled by the Secret Service (for some odd reason) and not the FBI. So, the seceret service in the area would be called in to investigate.

It's actually what they were original created for. The work for the US Treasury department. A special branch of them guards the president.

The Mom

Premium Member
And, back to the original story...

There is a field office in Orlando, so it would not be unreasonable for the police to hold the suspects until the secret service arrived. But once WDW reported the problem to the police, and they took over, WDW could not be held responsible for any further delay.

I think most of you would be surprised at how much Disney knows about you when you are in the park. From the moment you walk thru security you are being watched like a hawk. Ive worked with security before other places and I know I don't work for Disney but I also know that if you look around you can see that you are being watched at all times. Rightfully so Disney and everybody now days has to watch everyone because people are stupid and sue happy about anything and everything, but like everyone has said once the police took over it would be out of Disney's hands even if they were still on Disney Property

PhotoDave219

So you are authoratively saying that gate security is NOT notified, and guests with children are not checked as they are exiting the park? No effort is made to funnel people through one or two exits so that they can be checked more efficiently?

Security is notified, theyre watching the exits but the turnstyles are not closed. Security is very efficent when it comes to lost children.

When i was a CM it was usually the kids who were found before the parents realized lil Johnny is gone.

As for you lost adults who have lost the rest of your family, go to guest relations.

J_Krafty24

A good idea but doesn't always work

What's sad is parents lacking to tell their child how to prevent being abducted in a public place. Nobody, no matter how unable to fight off someone, should be able to be abducted in a place with 5-6 other people within 5 feet of them at all times. Then again I may be overrating how likely it is that someone will help. I always keep an eye out for things like that, but I'm paranoid.

When I was a kid (3-4) my mom and I were shopping at the mall. A man came up, grabbed the hood of my coat and started dragging me away. A few seconds later my mom heard a stack of boxes fall (as I was being drug I was somehow knocked into them) and then my mom came and found me. Later she asked me why I didn't yell for her, I said "I tried but the noise wouldn't come out" Just because you teach you kids how to prevent being abducted doesn't mean they will actually be able to go through with it if the situation come up. The next day she got wrist teathers for both me and my younger brother for when we were out shopping. I don't actually remember this happening and wasn't told the story until I was like in High School but it does explain dreams that I've had throughout my whole life where when I am really scared or mad I can't make words come out.

sophiesmom

Anyway...

First off was a CP CM in ’94. So I guess Disney lied to us to make us feel better and the people on the bus complaining about not being able to enter were part of Disney’s big plan to make us feel better. I can imagine the legal issues had he gotten out of the park after we were all assured that there would be no way this could happened because they were going to stop things until he was found. I am really not making this up it was horrible 20 minutes until he was found. I am just telling about our particular situation. SO maybe the decision of what to do is made on a case by case basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom