Family forced to stay in WDW and cant leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
So A news snippet for 10 o'clock news with WRDQ Chanel 27 (chanel 10 if you have Bright House) just had a clip about a family that is suing disney because they were held in the theme parks against their will. Anyone have ANY clue what is going on with this?!?!?!? If not, guess I will have to wait until 10.

Valawen9

Nope, saw it on TV. Can't find anything on their website either (wftv.com) but if you have bright house, they've played it on commercial breaks twice now.

Weird...

I looked on their website too...can't find anything. I hope they air it again tonight.

starwood

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Yeah right, even during the YOMD!

RSoxNo1

I'm guessing that there was a lost child or something like that. At which point the park goes into lock down, nobody in, nobody out until the child is found.

Chape19714

It was on last night, I wanted to post it, but couldn't find the link. Here's a summary

A family was held by Disney Security in custody for hours during a pending investigation regarding counterfeit money, Which the family says Disney thought they had. They were held for several hours against their will and are now suing Disney. The family was not found to be involved in any counterfeit money and was released. They claimed to have been treated like prisoners. Disney made a statement saying that these accusations are false, and that they deny any involvement. The investigation in question was being done by the sheriff and not Disney, so they deny any wrongdoing.

That's it in a nutshell, I'll keep searching for a link.

Enderikari

Hmmm... let's see here....

Counterfeiting money = Federal Crime
Disney = No Law Enforcement capabilities
If there was any sort of investigation, it would have to happen with real law enforcement officials (and in this case, most likely federal government officials).
If there was an investigation, then Disney was complying with the federal government in a pursuit of a possible criminal and therefore cannot be held legally liable...

The only, repeat ONLY way for this family to have a case, is if they were held by Disney and never were the subject of an investigation... Which, knowing Disney's security policy, is next-to-impossible

The Mom

Premium Member
Are you serious? Where is the proof of this?

I believe he's serious. What makes you think that WDW doesn't go into lockdown if a child is reported missing?

But, according to another poster, it had to do with possible counterfeit money. In that case, WDW would only have to keep the alleged criminals until the sheriff (and possibly FBI) arrive. As mentioned, once the police arrive, it would be out of WDW's hands. It would be up to the local authorities to either take them to the police station, or keep them there until the FBI arrived.

I think I would rather wait at WDW, thank you very much.

darthjohnny

I'm guessing that there was a lost child or something like that. At which point the park goes into lock down, nobody in, nobody out until the child is found.

But there are lost children all the time in Disney. I've never heard about the park actually shutting down.

As for this family, I don't think they have a case.

They will most likely end up like that family who sued Tigger for supposedly "hitting" their sun.

As said before, Disney has no actual law enforcement capability. The only way they could have been held is if they called actual policemen.

The family was probably at the most surronded by some Disney security guards for some question, and now they see they can make a quick buck off of Disney.

PhotoDave219

Its not online, however basically the company said it was part of an investigation involving the Orange County Sheriff's Dept and the Secret Service and would not comment further on it.

Basically this Puerto Rican family was questioned by Disney security after they were in contact with a man who was under investigation for passing counterfit money. It was on WTFV at 11 Last night (they and channel 27 have the same news program)

It was part of a lawsuit that was filed but the Orange County clerk's website is such a pain to search.....

mkepcotmgmak

But there are lost children all the time in Disney. I've never heard about the park actually shutting down.

When I worked in Adventureland, I helped many lost children find their parents - usually in a matter of 5-10 minutes... but I can imagine if a child is seperated from their parents for a substantial amount of time that Disney may do this? A kidnapper wouldn't be able to make it too far with a lockdown, and it may be inconvenient for Guests - but think what you would want done for your child's safety... I'm sure 99% of Guests would agree, too...

(I don't know if this actually happens, but it would make sense, to me).

wdwishes2005

I believe he's serious. What makes you think that WDW doesn't go into lockdown if a child is reported missing?

But, according to another poster, it had to do with possible counterfeit money. In that case, WDW would only have to keep the alleged criminals until the sheriff (and possibly FBI) arrive. As mentioned, once the police arrive, it would be out of WDW's hands. It would be up to the local authorities to either take them to the police station, or keep them there until the FBI arrived.

I think I would rather wait at WDW, thank you very much.
I would think that only if the child was reported as taken would they shut down the park.

The Mom

Premium Member
I would think that only if the child was reported as taken would they shut down the park.

Perhaps someone with more inside knowledge would know, but I didn't say that they would go into lockdown for EVERY child who goes missing. But I know (from personal experience) that security communicates with each other, so someone would be alerted at the exits, and would watch for anything suspicious. I also suspect that most children are found within a short amount of time, but if it takes longer they would THEN initiate lockdown. Unless you were trying to exit while it was in effect, you wouldn't even know about it.

BMinNY

Having worked on Main St in MK I worked a couple of shifts in the Baby Center, which also happens to be where any children (and some adults) are taken when they are separated from the rest of their group. They are logged in and looked after until a parent comes to get them, which is usually a matter of 10-15 minutes. On the flip side, if a parent reports a lost child, the baby center is immediately called to see if that child has already been brought in, and if not, the lost child info is logged in case the child is brought in. So I guess the answer is "no" every lost child does not close the park.

However, I did hear of an incident where a child was grabbed during a parade, and the parents immediately notified security who immediately shut down entrance/exit to the park. The parents were taken into the utilidor, to a motorized cart to the main entrance, and were waiting when the kidnapper and abduct child tried to leave the park. I don't know if this is true or just an urban legend, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Slowjack

Urban Legend

However, I did hear of an incident where a child was grabbed during a parade, and the parents immediately notified security who immediately shut down entrance/exit to the park. The parents were taken into the utilidor, to a motorized cart to the main entrance, and were waiting when the kidnapper and abduct child tried to leave the park. I don't know if this is true or just an urban legend, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
This is urban legend. Usually it involves security telling the parents to only check the face, because the kidnapper will have already dyed/cut the kid's hair, or something like that. While there was a kidnapping of the "child custody dispute" kind at Disneyland, there's never been a random kidnapping at either Disneyland or a WDW park. Which only makes sense...unlike, say, a shopping mall, you are typically a long way from the entrance and even further from your car, which is a long haul with a kid you've just grabbed. Heck, at the MK, you'd still have to wait for the ferry/monorail...

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Well if this involves counterfeit money, and the proper police were called, they could be held pending a ruling from the secret service. I sat in on a court case for counterfeiting once, and learned a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom