Falling Gas prices making drive cheaper

cemeb4dk

We will be leaving in 10 days for the World. We will be driving from Chicago to WDW. We have flown everytime but last Jan. when we planned this trip airfare was outrageous. I think it was a combo of gas prices and it being over Thanksgiving. So we made the decision that we would drive. So using AAA fuel cost estimator it was going to approximately cost of 450-500 for gas round trip, when it was almost $5 a gallon.

Thanks to falling prices the estimator today shows an estimated cost of $250 round trip. So thats a $200 plus savings and more to spend at the world.

I just figured I would post this as many others a posting about airline savings.

Boy Oh Boy...

You don't know how many times in the last couple of weeks I've reminded my DW how cheap it would be to drive to WDW right now. I think I'm starting to wear her down...she told me last night to plan something for after my DD's upcomming wedding.:sohappy:

We drove down from PA this past May for our wedding anniversary and I think we were at around $3.50 per gallon, which was more than I initially thought it would be when I planned that trip.:hammer:

It was our first time driving since our honeymoon almost 28 years ago. Post kids we always flew. The drive was great and we had a blast enjoying the road, but I budgeted for $3.25 max when I originally sat down to work out the trip. I'm ready to go right now just to find out what the cost would be...of course the fact that I want to be there all the time anyway has no bearing on this matter. Or does it???:D

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

Just curious, which route are you taking, I-294/80-94 to I-65 to I-24 or I-57 to I-24? We have had a few arguments over which is better, I believe I-57 is the way to go, for a point of reference we live in Plainfield so we are both pretty far west.:shrug:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Lets hope fuel prices continue to drop - they've dropped here in the UK but have stuck at the same price for about two weeks now. Its better than it was but still needs to come down some more

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

Original Poster
Just curious, which route are you taking, I-294/80-94 to I-65 to I-24 or I-57 to I-24? We have had a few arguments over which is better, I believe I-57 is the way to go, for a point of reference we live in Plainfield so we are both pretty far west.:shrug:

I have had the same arguements with myself. When i was a kid and lived in Crestwood we always went the 57 route. As I did the trip as an adult we would do 65. All the mapquests and trip planners suggest 65 also. But I am with you I will be taking 57 down to 24. Ill be using the new 355 extension to 80 then over to 57. I always hated that 80/94 congestion by the border and this way I avoid Indy. Granted it seems like your in Illinois forever taking 57, but thats the woute I will take this trip.

this will be our first major road trip as a married couple and as parents. My almost 3 year old daughter has been there 6 times already and has always flown. So it will be interesting to see how she does. We are going straight thru. So thank goodness for car dvd players. We are leaving on a Sunday around 2 pm. I want to be thru Atlanta before rush hour.

Upvote 0

KristieLC

I am excited about the gas prices too!! We are leaving in less than two weeks from PA, to spend a few days with my husbands family in Charlotte, and then down to Disney from there from 11/29-12/6, making another stop in Charlotte to see my sister for a few days. When we were planning/budgeting, we planned on $4.50 a gallon. It is a great savings I think. Now if we could just get everyday groceries to come down, I would be even happier.

Upvote 0

gbruenin

We did the drive this summer and paid about $3.25 just about everywhere. Earlier this week I had to drive to/from Raleigh for work, and on the return found an incredible $1.91/gal just outside Richmond on I85. That's a little over $100 savings. Plus bookings at 'the world' are down, so there's opportunities on hotel rate. I just need to convince DW.

Gary

Upvote 0

bgraham34

We did the drive this summer and paid about $3.25 just about everywhere. Earlier this week I had to drive to/from Raleigh for work, and on the return found an incredible $1.91/gal just outside Richmond on I85. That's a little over $100 savings. Plus bookings at 'the world' are down, so there's opportunities on hotel rate. I just need to convince DW.

Gary

And you can't beat the stay for 7 days and just pay for 4 days.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

We will be driving from Little Rock in December. I'm estimating 16 hours and about $300 worth of gas. I'm being very generous on the money estimate. Planning on leaving at around 10 or 11 at night and driving through till morning and letting the wife drive some. Figure if I can get 7-8 hours driving out of the way before the wife and kid wake up, the day will go much easier.

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

I have had the same arguements with myself. When i was a kid and lived in Crestwood we always went the 57 route. As I did the trip as an adult we would do 65. All the mapquests and trip planners suggest 65 also. But I am with you I will be taking 57 down to 24. Ill be using the new 355 extension to 80 then over to 57. I always hated that 80/94 congestion by the border and this way I avoid Indy. Granted it seems like your in Illinois forever taking 57, but thats the woute I will take this trip.

this will be our first major road trip as a married couple and as parents. My almost 3 year old daughter has been there 6 times already and has always flown. So it will be interesting to see how she does. We are going straight thru. So thank goodness for car dvd players. We are leaving on a Sunday around 2 pm. I want to be thru Atlanta before rush hour.
We've driven down 5 times in 3 yrs, our kids are 5 and 9(2 boys) and both do great when traveling on road trips, and we usually drive straight thru too. And yes thank God for dvd players!

Upvote 0

earldw28

Yeah, this is great. Gas is $1.84 in Savannah, GA and I can drive to WDW in right at four hours so it would only cost me about $20-$25 to drive down.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I remember driving a rental car home to NJ after flying to WDW because of a hurricane (I think it was Frances). And we were just amazed as how gas was skyrocketing, the gouging was literally criminal.

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

Original Poster
well with all your posts, it seems like I might even save more, because here in Chicago western burbs we are at 2.21 so if the farther we drive south the farther under $2 we go. The more we have to spend

Upvote 0

mas

We always drive. You can park closer to the park entrances that you usually can when the bus takes you. You can come and go when you want. You can go off site to eat (usually cheaper) and go to the other theme parks in the area before/after your Disney trip. We live in Ohio so it's a straight shot down I-75 for us.

December is our 3rd trip this year - always driving

12/08, 09/08, 02/08, 10/07, 02/07, 07/06, and about 50 other times :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MDAY

It's a $1.73 right now in KC. My wife and I were talking about this yesterday and saying it hasn't been this low since about two years ago at this time. With the falling gas prices I would love to drive somewhere next year. Thinking about DC, Disneyworld or back to California for a little Disneyland and Yosemite National Park.

Upvote 0

wdwCC

You can park closer to the park entrances that you usually can when the bus takes you.

I don't know about that. The bus from Pop Century dropped us off a whole lot closer than the MK parking lot. We didn't have to take the tram, monorail or boat over.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom