Fall Colors

DisneyCP2000

I don't think they ever do :veryconfu . I think they stay green throughout the year. I'd say fall colors don't show up until you head up north to the TN area.

Upvote 0

Maria

They do change colors! Not very noticeable, but they do. The area between Epcot and the Boardwalk by International Gateway makes a beautiful setting when they are changing colors. I saw that in November. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Originally posted by wedance
I thought I saw a picture of the trees at POR changed color a bit. Maybe I was wrong. Anyone know?

Sorry, but there are no "fall colors" in Florida. Most plants in Florida are evergreens (pines, conifers, etc.). If you want to see fall colors, go to The Blue Ridge Parkway in NC!

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Well not every tree in Florida is an Evergreen.

November is probalby the best time to see the changes sometime between halloween and thanksgiving.

The best and nearly only two places on property to see such a sight is the International Gateway at Epcot and Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter.

The deciduous trees go with the theming in these areas, especially Port Orleans. By the way while I have never stayed at a Disney resort, (while I worked there I lived in Celebration which does have some falling leaves), I think Port Orleans Rules.

Anywhere else on property is hit or miss because the decidious trees aren't as numerous as up north. Also to keep landscaping expenses down its best not to have to rake too many leaves around property.

Upvote 0

dreamer

I lived in Fla for 25 years. In Miami there is no fall. In Gainesville some of the trees turn brown (no colors) in late November/early December and get new foliage in February. I think a few trees in Orlando turn brown (probably in December), but the majority do not -- unless they have a killer freeze.

Upvote 0

Cosmo

Originally posted by dreamer
I lived in Fla for 25 years. In Miami there is no fall. In Gainesville some of the trees turn brown (no colors) in late November/early December and get new foliage in February. I think a few trees in Orlando turn brown (probably in December), but the majority do not -- unless they have a killer freeze.

Having been raised in Miami, and now living in Gainesville, i agree 100%.....:cool:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
My Camphor tree's leaves change color and start dropping when it gets cold (one year it lost all of them) but it's not really very attractive. The Crape Myrtles bloom all summer, then lose their blossoms and leaves in late Fall...again, not really pretty.

There is a tree called a "Red Tip" (it may be a Maple variation; I don't know) which does have a somewhat attractive color change, and is used for landscaping. That's probably the tree you've seen. It's pretty, but doesn't compare to the Sugar Maples up north. ;) This is the only time of year (Oct-Christmas) when I miss New England. Then I think about March, and I'm glad I moved. ;)

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I think the difference here is FL (state wide) versus WDW. Disney does indeed plant trees and foliage that does turn colors in the fall. They do it on purpose. We took the Epcot tour last year (Gardens of the World), and the horticulturist that lead the tour talked about the fall color plantings (it was October at the time).

A few of us on the tour were from up north where color change is very noticable. He remarked that while in general FL doesn't see that kind of change, WDW plants trees that will change a bit to try to get that "fall" look the best that they can.

Great tour, anyone interested in the green stuff should do this tour.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I keep forgetting that Disney can get away with things that the rest of us can't! ;) I guess if I had a team of horticulturists to take care of my plants, I could grow anything here, too. ;) Or at least they could keep replacing them when they die! :lol:

Upvote 0

cm1988

Long fall

Originally posted by wedance
Does anyone know when the trees in Florida that actually change colors in the Fall happen? Mid Oct., or Nov.?
The Sycamores are shedding leaves already... and the leaves don't appear until, like, April.

Other decidous trees change color as late as January, and buds appear even as the old leaves fall. You might say Central Florida's Fall runs from October - December, Spring is January - March. As for the rest of the year... you'd better have air conditioning.

Upvote 0

wedance

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!! I guess we might see some colors since we'll be staying at {POR and going in mid to late Oct. I found the picture, and there is some turning of color at POR.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom